Tuch should be captain next year

JoeSchmoe

You haven't understood what my point is. It is that using 1 game and then accusing Dahlin indirectly or directly of quitting as some sign of Tuchs leadership is a the type of confirmation bias we've had from the Tuch for captain side going back to last summer. I don't buy that argument, you put stock in Tuch never quitting. Again, we don't agree. 

"A Tuch lead team never quits" except for all the other teams this team did over the course of the season, like the 8 game losing streak. 

Just now, LGR4GM said:

You haven't understood what my point is. It is that using 1 game and then accusing Dahlin indirectly or directly of quitting as some sign of Tuchs leadership is a the type of confirmation bias we've had from the Tuch for captain side going back to last summer. I don't buy that argument, you put stock in Tuch never quitting. Again, we don't agree. 

The TEAM quit.  The TEAM has never quit while Tuch was on the ice.

23 minutes ago, SwampD said:

I bet I couldn’t name four captains across the league.

Just a thought. Carry on.

That's cool.

Can name all of them in the Adams without hesitation.  3 in the Patrick and 1 in the Norris likewise.  And after a 1/2 second came up with one in the Smythe as well.  (A really obvious one at that.)  Could probably get to 1/2 the league in a few minutes and that's with not having watched any other NHL teams regularly prior to the ASB for about 4 years now.

5 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Do ppl not realize that Dahlin is already an assistant? He already has an A.

No

They probably don’t 

5 hours ago, Taro T said:

Yes, he wears the A.  Most teams have at least 1 D-man wear a letter.  He is clearly the leader of that group.  What does that have to do with anything regarding whether they give somebody else the C when Okposo is no longer the Captain?

Lots of teams change up who wears a letter in any one season and guys that haven't worn letters get them and even sometimes guys with letters don't have them the next year.  Jim Schoenfeld was still with the Sabres for a few years after the C was taken from him and given to Gare.

Not saying Dahlin will lose his letter, he absolutely won't.  And he might even be the next captain.  But those 2 games that the team quit stand out like a sore thumb and the only leader on the team that wasn't involved in either game is the guy that's the subject of this thread.  That resonated here.  

Yes the team quit on Dahlin he’s not that guy it’s all about Tuch. We can absolutely boil it down to the results of 2 solitary games 

4 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Yes it resonated as confirmation bias. Tuch returned and we won so it must be him. I don't believe that. 

It’s not even an experiment with isolated variables. What if Tuch had come back but Dahlin wasn’t playing? Wasn’t the board convinced Mattias freaking Samuelsson was our MVP because we lost when he was out? The truth is that ANY important player being removed from / returning to lineup will make a difference when we are still building depth 

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Taro T said:

The TEAM quit.  The TEAM has never quit while Tuch was on the ice.

I think that you are over-interpreting the consequences from a game in which the players were simply overwhelmed. Did the players quit? Maybe so. But I wouldn't go so far to say that it wouldn't have happened if Tuch played that particular game. Okposo and Girgs are every bit a leader as Tuch is. It happend when they played. There is nothing unusual about teams getting trampled in a game or so. It happens to the best teams, to the middle pack teams and to the lower teams. If you watch NBA games it also happens, at a greater frequency, in that sport. I just think you are taking too much meaning from that dismal game. 

39 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I think that you are over-interpreting the consequences from a game in which the players were simply overwhelmed. Did the players quit? Maybe so. But I wouldn't go so far to say that it wouldn't have happened if Tuch played that particular game. Okposo and Girgs are every bit a leader as Tuch is. It happend when they played. There is nothing unusual about teams getting trampled in a game or so. It happens to the best teams, to the middle pack teams and to the lower teams. If you watch NBA games it also happens, at a greater frequency, in that sport. I just think you are taking too much meaning from that dismal game. 

They've been beat before under Granato, and surely will again.  But the hallmark of his time (at least beyond the spring of '20) was that the team has played hard to the end of every game.  That wasn't the case in exactly 2 games during the past 2 seasons.  Discount it if you'd like, but personally am not discounting it.

56 minutes ago, Thorny said:

No

They probably don’t 

Yes the team quit on Dahlin he’s not that guy it’s all about Tuch. We can absolutely boil it down to the results of 2 solitary games 

As said when replying to John, discount it if you'd like, personally am not going to do so.  And this ISN'T a slight on Dahlin.  It's an  attaboy for Tuch.

• Agree 1

Tuch brings a verve to the Sabres on the ice which no one else quite does.  It is like he is trying to will the Sabres over the hump.  I think that is what those who want him as captain see.

• Agree 1

No vote… No poll… Adams and Granato will get input from the team informally, my hope…

Would bet a bunch Tuch gets the C if Okposo steps aside…

Both Tuch and Dahlin are great players who play with grit and passion… Both lead by example… Tuch has  the advantage of 60+ games SC playoff experience… It matters… imo

If the players will vote among themselves for who the captain is, then the discussion is kinda moot as there isn't much that can be discussed other than who do we think the players like in the room.  

However, if it is done by a a hybrid decisions, players in put, coach/gm input, and we as fans are trying to 'figure out' who would be best....I vote for Dahlin.  I really don't know if he would handle the role better or worse than Tuch, all I do know for sure is he is on the ice more than any other Sabre (other than the goaltenders in a particular game) so I go with him.

2 hours ago, Taro T said:

They've been beat before under Granato, and surely will again.  But the hallmark of his time (at least beyond the spring of '20) was that the team has played hard to the end of every game.  That wasn't the case in exactly 2 games during the past 2 seasons.  Discount it if you'd like, but personally am not discounting it.

I respectfully but strenuously disagree. There were more games where the effort was anemic than what you remember. That type of low energy and less than resistant play has happened more often than what you are describing. You disagree. That's okay. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Marvin said:

Tuch brings a verve to the Sabres on the ice which no one else quite does.  It is like he is trying to will the Sabres over the hump.  I think that is what those who want him as captain see.

I think they also see a hometown boy who grew up loving the Sabres and that plays a not inconsiderable role in how he is perceived by the fanbase, whereas it plays very little role in how his teammates perceive his leadership.

No disrespect to Tuch, who strikes me as a fine candidate, one of a number of them in the room.

• Agree 1

Tuch and a number of others will lead this team. 

Tuch is a top flight player on this team and would be on many teams.

Dahlin is a top flight player in the league.  Top 2 D and would be top 1 if EK was not tearing it up like he is.  Dahlin is very near, if not in, the top 10 players in the league.

On top of all that he is developing into a great leader of this team.

Dahlin will be C when KO does not return to the ice as a Sabre.

My point was I am in favor of Tuch getting the “C”.  I did forget for a moment that Dahlin wears an A. Sorry, just had 5 vertebrae fused  on Monday and can be a little loopy from time to time.  I am against removing leadership positions unless it’s extremely warranted. If Zegmus stays I vote he keeps it, if not I would like it on Cozens. I going with the assumption Kyle retires so the C is in play. If Kyle stays he keeps it. Go Bills!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.