Targetting Defencemen for 2023-4

Marvin

On 3/13/2023 at 10:37 AM, mjd1001 said:

As far as a 'reclamation' project, what does anyone think of Logan Stanley on the backend from Winnipeg?

Former first round pick, 24 years old, 6'7" tall and 230 lbs.  Hits. Gets PK time.  Requested a trade from Winnipeg recently.  Has had a few injuries, and has shown 'inconsistent' play.  He's from Kitchener so only about 1.5-2 hours away (kinda a local guy)

I remember being bored and watching Winnipeg play St. Louis a couple months ago and he stood out as a pretty good player, yet he gets benched every once in a while.

Big Physical guy who at one point had enough talent to justify a first round pick, with SOME nhl time.  His contract is up but he is an RFA.  Might be one guy (not the ONLY guy though) that I'd be happy to see brought in to fight for a roster spot, possibly a 2nd pair spot with some development.

Logan Stanley is slower then Greenway his type of syle would have been great 4-5 years ago he'll be a depth guy going forward 

2 hours ago, DarthEbriate said:

I can't see Calgary blowing it up/rebuilding this year. It was a down year for sure without Tkachuk. But the Huberdeau and Weegar extensions are about to kick in and they just need to pare some salary, not reset. They'll be happy to move their pending UFAs, but Andersson is a guy you build around (particularly a lovely contract through '25-26).

Hanifin, Tanev, and Zadorov are the 3 pending-UFA D to keep an eye on there. Tanev and Hanifin have M-NTCs to contend with but they could be excited to join the surging Sabres.

Tanev would be my 1st choice with Hanifin coming shortly behind. Tanev is a RHD vet who's a Defensive Defenseman; literally what the Doctor ordered.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

25 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

Tanev would be my 1st choice with Hanifin coming shortly behind. Tanev is a RHD vet who's a Defensive Defenseman; literally what the Doctor ordered.

From Toronto, went to RIT. Might fit the "wants to be here" category too. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Would definitely use a 6th or 7th round pick on him without hesitation. 

I would make a trade for him in a heartbeat. I can't see them trading him but that would get me to discuss moving the 2023 1st rounder and something else of value to Calgary. He's 26 and signed for 3 more seasons at really good value. 

I know you have mentioned Helge Grans from the LAK.

Have they soured on him as a prospect?

Last year he scored 24 points in 56 games in the AHL. This season he has 8 points in 53 games. Jordan Spence has 41 points in 50 games so I would assume he is getting all of the PP time.

Another RHD ahead of Grans is Brandt Clarke, who played in LA and the AHL before returning to the WJC and then Barrie Colts of the OHL. He scored 61 points in 31 games in the OHL this year.

Grans is too green to plug a hole in the Sabres D corps but could be a solid bottom pair guy in a year or two.

6 minutes ago, TheAud said:

From Toronto, went to RIT. Might fit the "wants to be here" category too.

33 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

Blast from the past (ROC resident). 
Only thing is he will be 34 years old by mid-season next year (and a pending UFA). Time flies.

That would probably eliminate him from KA’s consideration. But I’m not opposed to the idea for depth if Calgary needs to cut salary.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.