Targetting Defencemen for 2023-4

Marvin

20 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

As far as a 'reclamation' project, what does anyone think of Logan Stanley on the backend from Winnipeg?

Former first round pick, 24 years old, 6'7" tall and 230 lbs.  Hits. Gets PK time.  Requested a trade from Winnipeg recently.  Has had a few injuries, and has shown 'inconsistent' play.  He's from Kitchener so only about 1.5-2 hours away (kinda a local guy)

I remember being bored and watching Winnipeg play St. Louis a couple months ago and he stood out as a pretty good player, yet he gets benched every once in a while.

Big Physical guy who at one point had enough talent to justify a first round pick, with SOME nhl time.  His contract is up but he is an RFA.  Might be one guy (not the ONLY guy though) that I'd be happy to see brought in to fight for a roster spot, possibly a 2nd pair spot with some development.

Logan Stanley did not have enough talent to justify a 1st round pick. Stanley was tall and NHL gms are stupid when a guy is tall which is a main reason he is still in the league. His IQ is meh, his possession metrics are bad, his possession quality is bad, his passing is meh, he can't stay healthy, his skating lacks agility (something Power suffers from on occasion if you watch this back half of the season), and he isn't particularly better than a guy like Lyubushkin. He shoots left and plays some sheltered minutes from the looks of things. Logan Stanley would honestly be one of the last players in the entire NHL I would pay assets for. 

• Agree 1

The first questions we should have to answer for any incoming D is are they better than Joki and would they fit our system.  

Take Orlov for example. He is a better player and I know he can succeed in an up tempo system.  What about Mayfield?  I worry about a guy moving from the D first NYI system to ours, although I like the player. 

It was mentioned up thread about KA looking for value assets in his trades.  Stillman, Greenway and even the attempt on Murray are all examples. However the attempt to acquire Chychrun was anything but a buy low scenario. To me it signals and more open approach to getting what the franchise needs.  

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

I hope Adams turns every rock over this summer. If he can find a top pairing guy and move Muel down that would be great. 

They need defensively inclined options that can play at the NHL level. In the mold of a Gavrikov or Ryan Graves.  I’m not worried about handiness. 

Ryan Johnson plays a smart defensive game that relies on skating and positioning. He won’t crunch anyone but he is effective. He could be an option on the 3rd pairing. In that case they still need a reliable top 4 that can excel defensively.

28 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

The first questions we should have to answer for any incoming D is are they better than Joki and would they fit our system.  

Take Orlov for example. He is a better player and I know he can succeed in an up tempo system.  What are Mayfield?  I worry about a guy moving from the D first NYI system to ours, although I like the player. 

It was mentioned up thread about KA looking for value assets in his trades.  Stillman, Greenway and even the attempt on Murray are all examples. However the attempt to acquire Chychrun was anything but a buy low scenario. To me it signals and more open approach to getting what the franchise needs.  

Lybushkin has struggled all low integrating into our tempo.  He seems to be playing a bit looser now, but for a while he was reluctant to do much of anything when exiting the zone, and never knew what to do with the puck when he had it in the offensive zone.

2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Logan Stanley did not have enough talent to justify a 1st round pick. Stanley was tall and NHL gms are stupid when a guy is tall which is a main reason he is still in the league. His IQ is meh, his possession metrics are bad, his possession quality is bad, his passing is meh, he can't stay healthy, his skating lacks agility (something Power suffers from on occasion if you watch this back half of the season), and he isn't particularly better than a guy like Lyubushkin. He shoots left and plays some sheltered minutes from the looks of things. Logan Stanley would honestly be one of the last players in the entire NHL I would pay assets for. 

Other than the fact Greenway wasn't a first round pick, Greenway seems to be the forward version of what Stanley would be on the back end. Tall. Big. Physical.  IQ being questionable, not the best passing, some injury issues, not a good skater.

I'm not saying it WOULD be a good idea, but for a guy to compete for a spot, might be something to look at, becasue he seems the kind of player Adams and the Scouting staff have taken a shot at in the past.  Again, the similarity to Greenway but as a D-man seem very close.

40 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

Other than the fact Greenway wasn't a first round pick, Greenway seems to be the forward version of what Stanley would be on the back end. Tall. Big. Physical.  IQ being questionable, not the best passing, some injury issues, not a good skater.

I'm not saying it WOULD be a good idea, but for a guy to compete for a spot, might be something to look at, becasue he seems the kind of player Adams and the Scouting staff have taken a shot at in the past.  Again, the similarity to Greenway but as a D-man seem very close.

I haven’t seen anything that leads me to believe Greenway’s IQ is questionable at all.

On the contrary, he usually seems to be on the right side of the puck defensively and he seems to make safe decisions with and without it offensively.

Are you referring more to a lack of creativity, perhaps?

14 hours ago, dudacek said:

One guy that immediately sticks out is Will Borgen. I mean not sure if he’s available, but he fits the profile of the type of guy I could see them shopping for.

This is a decent idea but it won't happen. Last year Seattle had two guys vying for that spot on the roster in Borgen and Lauzon and they chose Borgen moving forward. KA missed an opportunity to grab Lauzon when Nashville gave them a 2nd rounder (which we could have done easily and an earlier one). Not a star by any means but better than Stillman in just about every aspect including fighting. Just another of KA's missed opportunities for D depth but anyway, point is Seattle is really happy with Borgen and has no plans to move him. 

Soucy MIGHT be available. That's about it for Seattle. 

4 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Take Orlov for example. He is a better player and I know he can succeed in an up tempo system.  What are Mayfield?  I worry about a guy moving from the D first NYI system to ours, although I like the player. 

Fair enough on Mayfield but that is/was not the system he played in the minors... showed offensive ability... he and Pelech were men among boys before they came up.

• 2 weeks later...

Lots of d options this summer that would improve the team.  Joker needs to be moved down to 3rd pairing or just moved in trade.  Bryson can be sent down to AHL or waived.  Clague should be down in AHL and used in emergency call ups. Stillman should be 7th defenseman.

Trade options:

Murphy from Chicago- trade them Rosen and a 2nd (to play with Power)

UFA options:

RD- Mayfield, Gudas, Severson, Cliffton, Schenn (to play with Power)

LD- Graves (to play with Dahlin and move Mule down)

LD- Gavrikov, Soucy, Mikkola (to play with Boosh on 3rd pair)

Getting one of the above should be a requirement, getting two would put you in playoff consideration.

Edited by sweetlou

18 minutes ago, sweetlou said:

Lots of d options this summer that would improve the team.  Joker needs to be moved down to 3rd pairing or just moved in trade.  Bryson can be sent down to AHL or waived.  Clague should be down in AHL and used in emergency call ups. Stillman should be 7th defenseman.

Trade options:

Murphy from Chicago- trade them Rosen and a 2nd (to play with Power)

UFA options:

RD- Mayfield, Gudas, Severson, Cliffton, Schenn (to play with Power)

LD- Graves (to play with Dahlin and move Mule down)

LD- Gavrikov, Soucy, Mikkola (to play with Boosh on 3rd pair)

Getting one of the above should be a requirement, getting two would put you in playoff consideration.

Gavrikov is the best dman on the list. He would play top 4.

Adams needs to find 1-2 quality vet dmen that can settle things down in the dzone.

They need quality guys though, not projects or reclamation projects.

Gavrikov Dahlin

Power Mayfield

Muel Boosh 

would put this team in the playoff with a solid goalie behind them.

Edited by Flashsabre
  • Like (+1) 4

On 3/25/2023 at 8:47 AM, Flashsabre said:

Gavrikov is the best dman on the list. He would play top 4.

Adams needs to find 1-2 quality vet dmen that can settle things down in the dzone.

They need quality guys though, not projects or reclamation projects.

Gavrikov Dahlin

Power Mayfield

Muel Boosh 

would put this team in the playoff with a solid goalie behind them.

I’ve read Gavrikov isn’t good, more akin to a Gudbranson than a Samuelsson

1 hour ago, thewookie1 said:

I’ve read Gavrikov isn’t good, more akin to a Gudbranson than a Samuelsson

Are we certain that Samuelsson is definitively better than Gudbranson?

From looking at his stats, Gavrikov looks better than both of them.

• Agree 1

15 hours ago, Marvin said:

Who is considering rebuilding and has defencemen to move?  I read Calgary was one team.

7 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Rasmus Andersson RHD from Calgary. I highly doubt they move Him, but a call needs to be made 

I can't see Calgary blowing it up/rebuilding this year. It was a down year for sure without Tkachuk. But the Huberdeau and Weegar extensions are about to kick in and they just need to pare some salary, not reset. They'll be happy to move their pending UFAs, but Andersson is a guy you build around (particularly a lovely contract through '25-26).

Hanifin, Tanev, and Zadorov are the 3 pending-UFA D to keep an eye on there. Tanev and Hanifin have M-NTCs to contend with but they could be excited to join the surging Sabres.

I'm not looking for super talented, top pair guys for this team. I need a balance of skill AND salary expectations. The key thing is getting someone good enough that you can not have to pay $5 mil per season or more, I WANT as much money available to sign as many of the key 'stars' on this team as possible.  

It doesn't have to be a big name. It just has to be someone better than Clague/Bryson, etc.  Give me someone with 'average' skill (a decent skater, not a tiny guy..doesn't have to be super fast or huge, just someone who isn't overmatched). What I want is just 3 things:  1.)  Wins 50% or more of battles for loose pucks in his own end.  2.) positionally sound...doesn't chase pucks all over like a dog chasing a squirrel, knows when to make a hit and when it is more important to maintain his position. 3.)  good at identifying who to pass the puck to in his own end and good at making that first past.   I don't need a guy with a 95mph slap shot, or a guy who skates like a top-5 fastest player on my team, or a guy who is 6'4" and 230 lbs.  Just someone who can get that loose puck in my own and and that as quickly as possible pass it to a forward or Dahlin/Power and that is it.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

1 hour ago, DarthEbriate said:

Rasmus Larsson, D, 6'3", 198 currently playing for the Västerås IK J20 team. Angry Larry + Rasmus the 4th.

Would definitely use a 6th or 7th round pick on him without hesitation. 

55 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Rasmus Andersson RHD from Calgary. I highly doubt they move Him, but a call needs to be made 

I would make a trade for him in a heartbeat. I can't see them trading him but that would get me to discuss moving the 2023 1st rounder and something else of value to Calgary. He's 26 and signed for 3 more seasons at really good value. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, mjd1001 said:

I'm not looking for super talented, top pair guys for this team. I need a balance of skill AND salary expectations. The key thing is getting someone good enough that you can not have to pay $5 mil per season or more, I WANT as much money available to sign as many of the key 'stars' on this team as possible.  

It doesn't have to be a big name. It just has to be someone better than Clague/Bryson, etc.  Give me someone with 'average' skill (a decent skater, not a tiny guy..doesn't have to be super fast or huge, just someone who isn't overmatched). What I want is just 3 things:  1.)  Wins 50% or more of battles for loose pucks in his own end.  2.) positionally sound...doesn't chase pucks all over like a dog chasing a squirrel, knows when to make a hit and when it is more important to maintain his position. 3.)  good at identifying who to pass the puck to in his own end and good at making that first past.   I don't need a guy with a 95mph slap shot, or a guy who skates like a top-5 fastest player on my team, or a guy who is 6'4" and 230 lbs.  Just someone who can get that loose puck in my own and and that as quickly as possible pass it to a forward or Dahlin/Power and that is it.

Simple but effective. I like it.

Big enough to separate the man from the puck and have an idea of what to do with it. 

Boosh has played well recently and someone mentioned getting another one or two guys at that level. That would work to force Bryson and Clague to the AHL where the odd injury callup could get them some ice time and they could fill the 6D role instead of 3-4D.

If KA can luck into a 3-4D due to cap circumstances, even better.

These upgrades should not break the bank.

1 hour ago, mjd1001 said:

So basically, a Mark Pysyk? 

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.