Devon Levi: Mike Richter Finalist, 2023

LGR4GM

If you could choose between these scenarios:

A: Levi signs today, and we go from there with whatever Kevyn decides

B: Levi announces his intention to never sign in Buffalo and Kevyn adds Saros in the offseason and eventually extends his contract a few years. You lock all of this in by choosing B

Which would you choose?

Edited by Randall Flagg

3 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

If you could choose between these scenarios:

A: Levi signs today, and we go from there with whatever Kevyn decides

B: Levi announces his intention to never sign in Buffalo and Kevyn adds Saros in the offseason and eventually extends his contract a few years. You lock all of this in by choosing B

Which would you choose?

I’ll take A only because I would fear Bs cost

Each day that passes I grow more skeptical.    

What's going through Levi's head?   Buffalo is perhaps the best situation in the entire NHL for him.   

His indecisiveness is concerning to say the least.

4 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

Each day that passes I grow more skeptical.    

What's going through Levi's head?   Buffalo is perhaps the best situation in the entire NHL for him.   

His indecisiveness is concerning to say the least.

He has a very legitimate excuse not to sign prior to Sunday evening.  If we get past Monday lunchtime and he isn't signed, then there is an indecisiveness.  But right now, should the team make the dance, without Levi they are toast.  The 2 forwards that left, will certainly hurt their chances but it won't doom them.  (Thought it's likely moot anyhow.  Doubt they get into the NCAAs.)

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

He has a very legitimate excuse not to sign prior to Sunday evening.  If we get past Monday lunchtime and he isn't signed, then there is an indecisiveness.  But right now, should the team make the dance, without Levi they are toast.  The 2 forwards that left, will certainly hurt their chances but it won't doom them.  (Thought it's likely moot anyhow.  Doubt they get into the NCAAs.)

100% this.  Not expecting him to sign prior to Sunday.  He was the heart and soul of that team.  If he’s not signed by next Wednesday it’s not looking good. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

Even with the signing of Levi I would hope to add a goalie, such as Saros, to the unit. The Sabres are at the point where if the organization proactively acts to upgrade the position this offseason, the team will be elevated. I'm excited by the prospect of Levi signing with us. It just seems to me that too much, too soon, is being counted on him. That's a precarious position to place this team in, especially with the recent developments. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

Unacceptable.   

Sounds like he has a severe case of doesn't-want-to-be-here-itis.   

By next week Buffalo may be out of the playoff picture, therefore he's not a team player.   

I, for one, don't want him infecting this team with his selfish and childish antics.

If he signed today he could immediately start his 8 game shutout streak to put the Sabres firmly in a wildcard spot. 

9 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

giphy.webp?cid=6c09b95229250580e1706b571

Good, Lord. There was just so much nothing in that statement.

EDITed to say that the world was such a better place when there wasn't a platform for people with nothing to say.

Edited by SwampD
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, SwampD said:

EDITed to say that the world was such a better place when there wasn't a platform for people with nothing to say.

But then where would we go to complain about non existent  theoretical trades that Adams hasn't made?

Edited by steveoath
Not a dig, just making a joke 🫠
  • Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

You know, if this franchise was run well, a prospect goalie signing or not signing wouldn't and shouldn't generate this much interest and panic. 

Adams needs to trade for a goalie whether Levi signs or not. We should never be in a situation where a prospect is this important. 

I would argue that we've been in this type of situation for the last 12 years.

21 minutes ago, steveoath said:

But then where would we go to complain about non existent  theoretical trades that Adams hasn't made?

Good point.

I really wish the irony of my statement was intentional.

I still feel like crap so I'm going to blame it on that.

1 hour ago, thewookie1 said:

I honestly think he is waiting until Sunday to see if NEU sneaks into the tournie

Yep. He’s a team first guy. He knows NU is DOA without him. His other teammates who jumped don’t really care either way. But, he knows the Sabres are a sure thing, so can afford to string them alone for a few more days. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, pi2000 said:

Unacceptable.   

Sounds like he has a severe case of doesn't-want-to-be-here-itis.   

By next week Buffalo may be out of the playoff picture, therefore he's not a team player.   

I, for one, don't want him infecting this team with his selfish and childish antics.

If he signed today he could immediately start his 8 game shutout streak to put the Sabres firmly in a wildcard spot. 

The Sabres are in a serious competition to be in the playoffs. Why do you believe that if he signs soon he will be thrown right onto the NHL ice. That makes no sense. If they did throw him right onto the ice, how do you believe the players would react if he struggled to get quickly get acclimated to the higher level of play?

Assuming he signs (and I believe he will) I am excited about him being in our system. But it would be a mistake to throw him in during this point in the season while this team is still in the running for the playoffs. 

• Haha (+1) 1

Things I know about Levi:

• Earlier in the season, his coach and teammates were not expecting him to return to Northeastern.
  • He's been pretty clear on multiple occasions about liking the Sabres organization and looking forward to being a part of it.
  • Kevyn Adams is completely enamored with him and is highly unlikely to be dicking him around with a contract offer.
  • Levi is a deliberate, methodical thinker who has no issues with taking unconventional paths.

I suspect Levi is taking time to decompress and carefully consider his options before putting pen to paper. But I doubt very much the delay is about your worst fears.

I suspect Adams has given him a choice between 2 options:

• signing a max NHL deal now, practicing with the big club for duration of the season, and playing at least one game under order to blow off the 1st year of his contract.
  • signing an Amerk-only deal, and being given the AHL crease for the duration of the season and hopefully into the playoffs, then signing his NHL deal at the end of that run.

Remember, due to eligibility rules it's either/or, he can't do both. It's start the contract early, soak in the NHL and risk not playing much, or delay his 2nd contract but get a chance to be a workhorse in Rochester. I doubt the actual money would be much different this spring, it would just be the 2nd contract getting delayed.

Edited by dudacek
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Levi is just waiting to make 100% sure his team isn't in the tourney. On Monday he signs and we can all move on. 

I honestly think this is pretty obvious. If I turn out wrong, I apologize in advance, but it seems to me the Sabres are an ideal landing spot for an ambitious, smart young goalie prospect which describes Devon Levi to a T.

13 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

I honestly think this is pretty obvious. If I turn out wrong, I apologize in advance, but it seems to me the Sabres are an ideal landing spot for an ambitious, smart young goalie prospect which describes Devon Levi to a T.

I don't want to shift the subject away from the topic but the same arguments that make Buffalo a good situation for Levi are the same that can apply to D Ryan Johnson from University of Minnesota. Both could be joining a team on the rise and be in a situation where their respective positions are in need. And both players will be given an opportunity to play rather soon, assuming each demonstrates the talent to do so. 

• Agree 2

2 minutes ago, shrader said:

They have no chance of making the NCAA tourney. Every single member of that NU team knows that. It’s not just about their spot in the PWR, the number of comparisons that need to flip in there favor is mathematically impossible at this point. 

Sure.  But he’s been the face of that school for two years.  Even the political side of it is to just wait until it’s official.  There’s nothing to be lost by waiting until after Sunday when his season is officially over. 

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.