Devon Levi: Mike Richter Finalist, 2023

LGR4GM

25 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

Are we cheering for northeastern this weekend?

though I’d really like to get rid of any and all anxiety of him not signing with the Sabres, I’d want him to lead his team to the NCAA tournament 

I’m sorry but I am mixed on this. Just let it happen, either way is OK.

25 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

Are we cheering for northeastern this weekend?

though I’d really like to get rid of any and all anxiety of him not signing with the Sabres, I’d want him to lead his team to the NCAA tournament 

Nope.  Let them flame out like the tire fire all things Boston should be.

Then bring him in and see how good a Dryden impression he can muster.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Nope.  Let them flame out like the tire fire all things Boston should be.

Then bring him in and see how good a Dryden impression he can muster.

Dryden had spent the season in the AHL before his late season stint and playoffs.

It would be awesome if he drew in to a game, won convincingly and stayed in the net.

Conn Smythe, Stanley Cup and Calder Trophy the following season is a pretty high bar.

• Like (+1) 2

I want Levi to succeed. But I want that success to start with a 1-0 loss in which the puck that gets past him is deflected off his defenseman's skate. Northeastern is not invited to the Frozen Four tourney. He signs with Buffalo the next day. Buffalo sends UPL down to Rochester for "one day" to give Levi a game. Levi posts a shutout. 

Granato can't keep him out of the lineup.  Levi goes 10-1-1 down the stretch with the Sabres and leads them into the playoffs.

Then, I don't want to get too greedy after that. 16-3 in the playoffs. Maybe?

• Haha (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

I'm looking forward to having Levi be part of the Sabres organization and think that he could be the future starting goalie.  But let's not create too many expectations on the kid right away.  He has not played a signed minute of professional hockey.  While over the decades, there have been occasional goalies who have come in at a young age and been stars right away (Ken Dryden and Tom Barasso have been mentioned above), it's not realistic to expect that of Levi or any college goalie coming into the NHL.  Could it happen, sure...But it's more likely that Levi will need a year or more in the AHL before he is ready to succeed at the NHL level.  

Hopefully, the Sabres can bring him in, see what they have, and gain enough information to help guide their goaltending decisions over the summer.  Assuming Anderson retires, are they comfortable going into next season with Comrie and UPL as the tandem, with Levi in the AHL?  Is Levi a realistic candidate to make the team next season?  Do they have to shop for a veteran goalie over the summer?  These are the questions that need to be answered.  If they are not, the organization is going to be in a real bind.

• Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, French Collection said:

Dryden had spent the season in the AHL before his late season stint and playoffs.

It would be awesome if he drew in to a game, won convincingly and stayed in the net.

Conn Smythe, Stanley Cup and Calder Trophy the following season is a pretty high bar.

Yes he had, but in large part because he didn't want to be a true "full time" hockey player.   He thought, correctly, that it'd be easier for him to attend McGill law school playing for the Voyagers than playing for the Habs.

• Like (+1) 3

31 minutes ago, Marvin said:

No, you want Ken Dryden.  Trust me: he backstopped the Habs against the 1971 Bruins in impressive fashion.

Yeah but Barrasso made the jump to the NHL without going to the AHL. He also bypassed college but… 

30 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

I want Levi to succeed. But I want that success to start with a 1-0 loss in which the puck that gets past him is deflected off his defenseman's skate. Northeastern is not invited to the Frozen Four tourney. He signs with Buffalo the next day. Buffalo sends UPL down to Rochester for "one day" to give Levi a game. Levi posts a shutout. 

Granato can't keep him out of the lineup.  Levi goes 10-1-1 down the stretch with the Sabres and leads them into the playoffs.

Then, I don't want to get too greedy after that. 16-3 in the playoffs. Maybe?

Just as long as we win a playoff series over a western conference team, I will be happy.

10 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Yes he had, but in large part because he didn't want to be a true "full time" hockey player.   He thought, correctly, that it'd be easier for him to attend McGill law school playing for the Voyagers than playing for the Habs.

Correct.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Taro T said:

2 minutes ago, MBD said:

Yeah but Barrasso made the jump to the NHL without going to the AHL. He also bypassed college but… 

Start a thread if you wanna debate this. 

• Disagree 1

1 minute ago, MBD said:

And (also) face the wrath of Scott?  No thanks. 

Sabrespace II: The Wrath of Scott.

Does that make being a Sabres fan our Kobayashi Maru test?  If so, how can we reprogram the simulation?

• Awesome! (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, MBD said:

And (also) face the wrath of Scott?  No thanks. 

I don’t get it. Are you referring to me, and if so, that I would be mad because someone took a sidebar argument out of a topic that has nothing to do with the title and into a new topic where other people can join in because they know what’s going on? 

Season 6 What GIF by The Office

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

He could be a Sabre as early as next week if they bow out in the Hockey East quarterfinals this coming Saturday against Providence.

As of today NE is currently ranked 17th in pairwise (Providence 23rd).   Typically the top 16 make the Frozen Four national tournament. 

A loss Saturday and their season is over...    a win and they keep their hopes alive, but will likely need to at least advance to the HE finals to keep their Frozen Four hopes alive.

• Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, pi2000 said:

He could be a Sabre as early as next week if they bow out in the Hockey East quarterfinals this coming Saturday against Providence.

As of today NE is currently ranked 17th in pairwise (Providence 23rd).   Typically the top 16 make the Frozen Four national tournament. 

A loss Saturday and their season is over...    a win and they keep their hopes alive, but will likely need to at least advance to the HE finals to keep their Frozen Four hopes alive.

Top 15. RIT leads Atlantic Hockey at 21 and someone has to get in. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.