GDT: Sabres @ Islanders - Mar. 7, 2023, 7:30pm, ESPN+/Hulu WGR

LGR4GM

9 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

Keep on fighting for a playoff spot. The longer they experience it, the better they will be for it over the long run

if they don’t make it,  it may take a week or two after the season but I know I’ll look at it as great progress 

actaully , f that thought process -  no thinking about next year at this time- still time to battle 

wow I’m arguing with myself 😜 

With you 

2 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Others don’t notice but imo your posting quality has taken a hit since you started working in your all-too-ham-handed thoughts on the politics of the postal industry into almost every post 

- - - 

Anyways I felt UPS had a great game between the pipes. 

What can brown do for you? Spoiler alert: mad dashes.

• Haha (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

On the call... There's no way they ruled there wasn't a distinct kicking motion as the basis for overturning the call right? I mean there wasn't but that had nothing to do with it IMHO. He directed the puck in with a motion of his leg.

I believe it was only over turned because it did not go off his skate. 

1 minute ago, PASabreFan said:

On the call... There's no way they ruled there wasn't a distinct kicking motion as the basis for overturning the call right? I mean there wasn't but that had nothing to do with it IMHO. He directed the puck in with a motion of his leg.

Exactly.

I am not a rules guru but it was a kicking motion that led the puck to go in. Any part of the leg is involved in this motion.

Your take on not wanting players to kick at pucks is bang on. Knives on their feet, don’t need to make it more likely of a bad cut.

• Like (+1) 1

A rush of gratitude coursed through me as Bryson passed out of a scoring chance down a goal with 5 minutes left in the third - it is reassuring to know that our future is not being put at risk. That he and Clague see important minutes together in a game of this magnitude is a living testament to a worthy ideal - that our many defensive prospects and mystery box draft picks can pave the way forward at a later date, as opposed to someone competent helping in place of Sammy today. 

The skaters have seamlessly adopted the FO's mindset as well - true organizational synergy

It's definitely not over, these guys have another streak in them I think

• Awesome! (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

There is an overhead view going around Twitter   There is no way that wasn’t directed in purposely 

further it was called a no goal . So they needed clear evidence it wasn’t directed in to overturn it.  
Brutal call by Toronto on that one 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4

12 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

There is an overhead view going around Twitter   There is no way that wasn’t directed in purposely 

further it was called a no goal . So they needed clear evidence it wasn’t directed in to overturn it.  
Brutal call by Toronto on that one 

So I was sitting next to this dude in a sports bar in a non-hockey city.  He had (still has) little experience with the sport, and asked me why there was a delay.  I explained that a goal cannot be scored off of a kick, and I used the exact phrase, "distinct kicking motion."  He looked up at one of the ninety-seven replays and said "if that's not a kick, I don't know what a kick is."

This is probably how non-NFL fans view the catch rules.  Actually, sometimes, it's how I view the catch rules.

It was a kick, it was a bad call, and oh well.  My theories as to *why* the bad call was made are above.

And @Doohickie this is what I mean about bartenders bringing their Roku sticks in for ESPN+ games; the bartender in question only brought it because he wanted to watch his Pens.

Edited by Eleven
  • Like (+1) 1

Disappointing but at the end of the day this team is on the cusp. They are a couple upgrades on D and some solid goaltending away from being a contending team. 

Adams needs to find a couple upgrades on the backend. If a solid goalie is available I hope he pulls the trigger. The young group up front is encouraging with more on the way.

I do wonder if Tuch and Muel played these games if they get any points.

Oh well, just keep competing down the stretch and keep growing.

Hudson Fasching and a kicking controversy. Unbelievable. Makes you think the hockey gods really like to have a laugh at the Sabres expense. 

islanders are a boring-ass team but they are built for that sort of game and we are not. I suspect that'll end the playoff reality but anything's still possible I guess. 

Nice screen by Greenway. We need more of that. AND, for the umpteenth time, Thompson has to use his body not just look for open spaces. Probably never happen. 

59 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Okay how about this: 

We aren’t in the playoffs by points % anymore, but we still control our own destiny: 

if we win the 3 we have in hand on the isles, we be tied with the isles. They have the breaker, but We play them one more time, no?

well we can see to it it’s actually THAT game that decides the playoffs. 

* caveat here is I had to lie slightly re: control own destiny as Ottawa is tied with us but also has 3 in hand on islanders and the breaker on us (by one) currently so technically if they also did the “destiny” thing they’d finish ahead of us: but it’s a hypothetical - if we win the “3 in hand” Ottawa very probably doesn’t amass 6 points in their 3

Not even sure why I logged back in, Thorny's IQ/autism combo blows mine out of the water

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

What's your problem? They play boring hockey I don't like, I don't have to justify that to you. 

Liger didn't expand on this point because he is filled with passion and fire, which is great for hockey talk

But there is something here worth talking about. The Islanders' defensive metrics are abysmal - bottom ~6 in the league. They have one of the 3 or 4 truly elite goalies in the league, so their goals-against per game is ~8th best in the league. That means ~20+ teams play better team defense, and 7 allow fewer goals. But Sabres fans don't uniformly complain about the style played by those 20 (or 7) teams better at shutting things down than the Islanders. There is something gross about Islanders hockey, and nothing wrong with being grossed out by it. Toronto is excellent defensively, and nobody complains about their suffocating style or that they don't "let the sabres score"

I'm genuinely glad the Sabres don't play that way, I'd rather play like Tampa or Colorado or Boston, and they are 90% of the way to figuring out the hard parts of playing like those teams, and hopefully they will learn the 'easier' parts soon 

Edited by Randall Flagg
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Liger didn't articulate on this point because he is filled with passion and fire, which is great for hockey talk

But there is something here worth talking about. The Islanders' defensive metrics are abysmal - bottom ~6 in the league. They have one of the 3 or 4 truly elite goalies in the league, so their goals-against per game is ~8th best in the league. That means ~20+ teams play better team defense, and 7 allow fewer goals. But Sabres fans don't uniformly complain about the style played by those 20 (or 7) teams better at shutting things down than the Islanders. There is something gross about Islanders hockey, and nothing wrong with being grossed out by it. Toronto is excellent defensively, and nobody complains about their suffocating style or that they don't "let the sabres score"

I'm genuinely glad the Sabres don't play that way, I'd rather play like Tampa or Colorado or Boston, and they are 90% of the way to figuring out the hard parts of playing like those teams, and hopefully they will learn the 'easier' parts soon 

I loved everything you wrote.

But the Sabres played uneventful hockey tonight, and it showed, and it failed.

19 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Liger didn't expand on this point because he is filled with passion and fire, which is great for hockey talk

How's your new house? Are you guys pregnant yet?

13 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

They were bad, tired, injured and (most importantly) green tonight 

At the game live you could see Dahlin in visible pain throughout the night. They hit the wall big time in the second period and even with as ridiculous as the winning goal was the Isles clearly deserved the two points.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.