GDT: Sabres @ Islanders - Mar. 7, 2023, 7:30pm, ESPN+/Hulu WGR

LGR4GM

2 minutes ago, Gatorman0519 said:

Yes not even close. We got worked the last two periods. NY is the benchmark to get in. And we get lambasted by the good teams in our conference. 

We recently beat Tampa twice, Florida, Washington, 

So you don’t acknowledge we played them on a back to back?  I credit the Islanders as a grinding team, tough to play against.  We didn’t have our wheels tonight.  We are not out of it   

We are a team on the rise.  The Islanders are not, they have not advanced in the standings in years   We will pass them next year  

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Pimlach said:

We recently beat Tampa twice, Florida, Washington, 

So you don’t acknowledge we played them on a back to back?  I credit the Islanders as a grinding team, tough to play against.  We didn’t have our wheels tonight.  We are not out of it   

We are a team on the rise.  The Islanders are not, they have not advanced in the standings in years   We will pass them next year  

The Islanders found a way to get a point against us on Miller night, they were coming off a back to back after playing the Bruins the night before. This is the youngest team in the league, dont think back to back really affects them as much as fans think.

Okay how about this: 

We aren’t in the playoffs by points % anymore, but we still control our own destiny: 

if we win the 3 we have in hand on the isles, we be tied with the isles. They have the breaker, but We play them one more time, no?

well we can see to it it’s actually THAT game that decides the playoffs. 

* caveat here is I had to lie slightly re: control own destiny as Ottawa is tied with us but also has 3 in hand on islanders and the breaker on us (by one) currently so technically if they also did the “destiny” thing they’d finish ahead of us: but it’s a hypothetical - if we win the “3 in hand” Ottawa very probably doesn’t amass 6 points in their 3

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 3

Just now, Two or less said:

The Islanders found a way to get a point against us on Miller night, they were coming off a back to back after playing the Bruins the night before. This is the youngest team in the league, dont think back to back really affects them as much as fans think.

My guess is its very wearing when you face one of the fastest and highest scoring teams one night and then turn around and play the 90's Devils cosplayers the following night. All the while dealing with refs that seem hellbent on screwing us.

Keep on fighting for a playoff spot. The longer they experience it, the better they will be for it over the long run

if they don’t make it,  it may take a week or two after the season but I know I’ll look at it as great progress 

actaully , f that thought process -  no thinking about next year at this time- still time to battle 

wow I’m arguing with myself 😜 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Claude Balls said:

Go eat a bag of 💩. Youre such a negative for this board. I was listening!!! Sorry I couldnt watch every second like the almighty PTR. Sometimes making money is a little more important than a hockey game. Now kindly GFY.

I know it hurts but look at it as a learning moment. When you ask why the goaltending falls apart in the 3rd, getting outshot 3-to-1 might be a reason.

As much as some people dislike the ESPN crew they actually break down goals very will. They tell you what went wrong or who did something amazing. And don't forget we lost getting hosed by Toronto review.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

What a bunch of time wasting.  This game was there for the taking, with just a little bit more oomph.  Instead, the Sabres played like they were hung over.

A few notes:

1.  That second Islanders goal is very partly on UPL for the rebound, but mostly on Paetsch or Clague or whatever AAAA defenseman is wearing 38 this season. A better defenseman has his stick out in time.

2.  Fasching's so-called goal is a goal for the Islanders, but it wouldn't have been one for the 2023 Sabres.  (It might have been one for the 2007 Sabres, though.)  Perceived bad teams get the bad calls...

3. ...and on that, the call to Toronto either took long enough for them to get it right, or long enough for instructions from higher-ups to be passed down.  We'll never know which.

But still, an honest, less dream-like effort from the Sabres would have resulted in a win.  NYI isn't that good.  And the Sabres are running out of time to have efforts like this--did they forget that they have to make up for what happened in November?  They can't be part of an "85% league."  They've got to go 100% until April if they want to make it.

Edited by Eleven
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Billznut said:

Pens have won 5 of their last 6

Sens have won 5 of their last 6

Isles have won 3 of their last 4

Sabres have lost 4 of their last 5 

Sabres not getting hot at the right time. 

All of these teams will lose games they shouldn’t 

Sens last night , Pens down 4-0 to Columbus 

they are hot now but things can turn quick for any of them 

Just now, Crusader1969 said:

Yeah but the Pens didn't lose their game, did they?

1 minute ago, Crusader1969 said:

Pens pulled a horseshoe out of their ass and won in OT 5-4 over CBJ

Edited by thewookie1

2 minutes ago, CallawaySabres said:

We are 3 points out from being the 23rd worst team in the league. Can we PLEASE turn the corner one of these years...

Hey great draft this year.   Always a silver lining 

Just now, Norcal said:

I'm buying tickets to the Columbus Blue Jackets game on April 14th to watch the Sabres clinch a playoff spot for the first time in a long time. Booked.

Love it! 

1 minute ago, Eleven said:

Yeah but the Pens didn't lose their game, did they?

Nope. But doesnt make them a world beater that won’t lose a few down the stretch either 

7 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Nm. I was thinking of parcel post, the only way I ship anything.

Others don’t notice but imo your posting quality has taken a hit since you started working in your all-too-ham-handed thoughts on the politics of the postal industry into almost every post 

- - - 

Anyways I felt UPS had a great game between the pipes. 

3 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

Nope. But doesnt make them a world beater that won’t lose a few down the stretch either 

Fine.  But the Sabres did what against Columbus a week ago?  That's the difference.  That's why the Sabres are now in 10th and the Pens in 8th.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.