GDT: Sabres @ Islanders - Mar. 7, 2023, 7:30pm, ESPN+/Hulu WGR

LGR4GM

1 minute ago, SwampD said:

How's your new house? Are you guys pregnant yet?

We are rentoids right now, it didn't work out (and we are grateful that all of our offers fell through in hindsight, what a miserable time it was to try)

No, but I'm having those dad daydreams more and more frequently, sometimes they are PAINFULLY vivid

She's younger than I am, we will be in a better place for that sort of thing in the next year or two. 

2 minutes ago, sabremike said:

At the game live you could see Dahlin in visible pain throughout the night. They hit the wall big time in the second period and even with as ridiculous as the winning goal was the Isles clearly deserved the two points.

@ Sabrespace: I ran into this guy at a game a few months ago, recognized him from a photo he posted once upon a time. Dude went to the game and then took public transport back to the airport where he waited overnight for the 5am flight back home

Sabremike is the realest fan i know 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Harrington tweet:

I inquired with the NHL about why Rule 78.5 was not applied in this case. Response to @TBNSports: "It was ruled a deflection off Hudson Fasching's shin pad and, therefore, it was determined there was no distinct kicking motion."

Holy non sequitur.

What is wrong with this league?

Mike is spot on. Distinct kicking motion had nothing to do with it. It was always rule 78.5. You can't direct the puck into the net with your leg. That was no deflection.

Edited by PASabreFan
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Shocked 1

20 minutes ago, sabremike said:

At the game live you could see Dahlin in visible pain throughout the night. They hit the wall big time in the second period and even with as ridiculous as the winning goal was the Isles clearly deserved the two points.

The sh*tty reality sinking in, that the long, slow, star-player targeting grind of an 82 game season likely means that this particular year, at least, we can’t see close to the Dahlin we saw in the first 60 through the last 20, really quite sucks.

This is the first season he’s been warrior Dahlin throughout, he’s probably still physically maturing, even if it feels like he’s been here long 

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Thorny said:

The sh*tty reality sinking in, that the long, slow, star-player targeting grind of an 82 game season likely means that this particular year, at least, we can’t see close to the Dahlin we saw in the first 60 through the last 20, really quite sucks.

This is the first season he’s been warrior Dahlin throughout, he’s probably still physically maturing, even if it feels like he’s been here long 

Gassing him and Power to incompetence/injury is important, this opens ambiguous future opportunities which not doing so would sacrifice. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Gassing him and Power to incompetence/injury is important, this opens ambiguous future opportunities which not doing so would sacrifice. 

The emotional boost he notably gets from sooner and more easily eclipsing his career marks next season, after them being somewhat artificially lowered to end this year. I mean just for one 

8 hours ago, KC Scouts said:

Adams told me all I needed to know at the trade deadline. Pegula won’t let him spend any money and We are not good enough to make playoffs , enjoy watching teams you really hate like the Bruins, Carolina, Devils Rangers and Leafs continue to finish ahead of you because the Sabres are gonna suck until maybe 2027-28

Yeah those Tage Thompson and Dylan Cozens long term contracts definitely showed Pegula won’t spend any money. Spot on analysis. JFC

• Like (+1) 1

Nothing much has changed over the years when it comes to officiating...that was NOT a goal. I was watching the Laughs at Jersey and boy did the Leaf goalie ever keep them in the game in the 1st. Meanwhile, Jersey looks so small and were getting hammered around by the Leafs and while Jersey did get ahead eventually the Leafs wore them down and won in the third. Jersey have come a long way but they are a small team that plays small but have good success. We are a bigger team them them but play small as well but I like to think with time we will mature and start to play a more physical game when necessary.

It is hard to win in this league these days as virtually every team is capable of beating any other team on any given night (see Chicago 5, Ottawa 0) and there are two things you must get to win consistently...goaltending and no crappy officiating.Our goalies have been inconsistent at best and we never get the good calls period. Tough to overcome that fact...either way I do think KA would have traded for the d-man everybody wanted so bad if Arizona would have taken the same form us as they took from Ottawa. Either way that trade sure didn't help Ottawa versus Chicago...  

• Thanks (+1) 1

The Sabres played like *****. Goal or no goal, whatever. They got what they deserved that game. The Sabres lose the next two, please bury the playoff chat as they are done like dinner. The grind is killing the kids and their legs are rubber right now. Let me say the norm.... The grind will make them better, at least we are playing meaningful games in March, yada yada yada..... Plain and simple another year no playoffs.

9 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

On the call... There's no way they ruled there wasn't a distinct kicking motion as the basis for overturning the call right? I mean there wasn't but that had nothing to do with it IMHO. He directed the puck in with a motion of his leg.

I didn't watch the game because of availability. So I won't comment on the game. I saw the goal on NHL Network. It was, without question, a good goal. The reversal of the call was proper. Even the commentators on the show said that it was clear that the reversal was the right call.  Reviews are part of the game. It worked as it was intended to do. 

Edited by JohnC

8 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I didn't watch the game because of availability. So I won't comment on the game. I saw the goal on NHL Network. It was, without question, a good goal. The reversal of the call was proper. Even the commentators on the show said that it was clear that the reversal was the right call.  Reviews are part of the game. It worked as it was intended to do. 

OK but you'll have to explain how you don't see Fasching directing the puck into the net with his leg. It didn't just deflect in. Distinct kicking motion had nothing to do with it as the puck did not go off his skate.

Edited by PASabreFan

Some reflection the morning after a tough loss.....not happy about the officiating (again), but I'm frankly more concerned about a couple things:

1. Shooting - not enough of it....take the shots when you have them and go to the net for possible rebounds.  I get frustrated at the excessive passing, which often results in a turnover.

2. Inability to gain possession in our defensive zone.  Collectively our boys seem to be struggling to win puck battles or create enough turnovers to neutralize the opposition's opportunities.

IMHO - gotta fix these things if we hope to keep up with the other teams....who seem to be improving.

8 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

Harrington tweet:

I inquired with the NHL about why Rule 78.5 was not applied in this case. Response to @TBNSports: "It was ruled a deflection off Hudson Fasching's shin pad and, therefore, it was determined there was no distinct kicking motion."

Holy non sequitur.

What is wrong with this league?

Mike is spot on. Distinct kicking motion had nothing to do with it. It was always rule 78.5. You can't direct the puck into the net with your leg. That was no deflection.

He didn’t direct the puck with his leg. I believe the rule uses the term propel. It deflected off his leg.

Nothing here says that that wasn’t a goal.

https://scoutingtherefs.com/2021/10/32220/nhl-rulebook-distinct-kicking-motion-37-4-49-2-78-5/

• Thanks (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

OK but you'll have to explain how you don't see Fasching directing the puck into the net with his leg. It didn't just deflect in. Distinct kicking motion had nothing to do with it as the puck did not go off his skate.

The puck deflected off him. That's not in dispute. There was no kicking motion; he didn't direct it. That's the decisive issue that wasn't even difficult to determine. The commentators on the Hockey Network show said that the reversal was proper and obvious. This is a case where fans should trust their eyes and not let their bias over-rule what was visible. 

6 minutes ago, SwampD said:

He didn’t direct the puck with his leg. I believe the rule uses the term propel. It deflected off his leg.

Nothing here says that that wasn’t a goal.

https://scoutingtherefs.com/2021/10/32220/nhl-rulebook-distinct-kicking-motion-37-4-49-2-78-5/

Let's look at the correct rule. 78.5.

Goals will be disallowed "when the puck has been directed, batted or thrown into the net by an attacking player other than with a stick." The exception the league has is that for whatever reason they want to allow players to be able to direct pucks into the net of their skates. I don't get it. It's a stick and ball sport.

Doesn't matter here. That's not the issue. The issue is what Fasching did as the puck was arriving. I think it's obvious but to each his own.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, JohnC said:

The puck deflected off him. That's not in dispute. There was no kicking motion; he didn't direct it. That's the decisive issue that wasn't even difficult to determine. The commentators on the Hockey Network show said that the reversal was proper and obvious. This is a case where fans should trust their eyes and not let their bias over-rule what was visible. 

The league's commentators shouldn't be used as evidence.

Broadening this out... Do we really want goals to be scored like that? What if it won a Cup against the Sabres?

• Agree 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.