GDT: Sabres @ Islanders - Mar. 7, 2023, 7:30pm, ESPN+/Hulu WGR

LGR4GM

3 hours ago, nfreeman said:

Well, I'm attending my first in-person Sabres game tonight since pre-pandemic.  It will also be my first visit to the Islanders' new arena (it's much easier to get to the new arena than the old one is, as the new one is a 10-minute walk from an LIRR station, which is about a 30-min train ride from Penn Station in NYC, while the old one had no train accessibility).

This is also the first meaningful Sabres game I've attended in who TF knows how long.

Go Sabres. 

I'll be doing the exact same thing tonight as well but coming from the opposite direction.  I bring a great W-L record with me when I see the Sabres play.  Even during the tank years..  SO glad that era is over and we have an exciting team to watch again.  For sure the biggest game since '11

• Like (+1) 5

3 hours ago, nfreeman said:

Well, I'm attending my first in-person Sabres game tonight since pre-pandemic.  It will also be my first visit to the Islanders' new arena (it's much easier to get to the new arena than the old one is, as the new one is a 10-minute walk from an LIRR station, which is about a 30-min train ride from Penn Station in NYC, while the old one had no train accessibility).

This is also the first meaningful Sabres game I've attended in who TF knows how long.

Go Sabres. 

Make sure to check the Displaced Sabres Fans Twitter account to find out where tonight's group photo during the second intermission is taking place (I will be wearing the black and red goat jersey).

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, FrenchConnection44 said:

Gotta go with Comrie. Huge game with playoff ramifications. 

Good to see Jost is coming back. Would be great to get Tillman, and Samuelson back. At least one to get Bryson off.  The lineup I’d like to see ASAP (while Tuch is out):

Skinner-Thompson-Quinn

Mitts-Cozens-Hinostroza

Greenway-Krebs-Peterka/VO

Girgs-Jost-Okposo

Dahlin-Samuelsson

Power-Joki

Tillman-Lyubushkin

I don’t have a lot of confidence in VO. Too much of a liability defensively. But perhaps he could be better if Greenway and Krebs were both out there? 

The worst thing that happened last night was having Bryson and Olafsson on ice at the same time. They are the only two double digit negatives in plus/minus on the team. And -21, -20 at that! Have to avoid that if possible. 

But when one considers that Peterka has 21 points with a -9 +/-, Olafsson has 32 points and a -21, the sieve-like defense of Olafsson is even more apparent. 

Do you mean Stillman!

CF6C336A-0674-4CCB-8336-77783C459B92.thumb.jpeg.13411b64c950beb472320094ff7cc5ff.jpeg

Mocking Season 8 GIF by Mr. D

🤣😉

No

16 minutes ago, Stormcloudmember66 said:

With another dman call up (Pilut) i am wondering if someone else hurt or maybe a defensive benching? I would say someone is hurt. This is starting to feel like 2006.

I think that someone is injured or at least someone can't go. I have a feeling that Bryson might be sitting today but no idea until tonight when they skate again. 

Within this WGR link there are three hockey segments. One was with Granato for a 16 min segment. He talks about Greenway and his style of play. And the coach emphasized how he continues to adhere to handling his players as the season winds down. He's committed to the young players and their development and the importance of playing in meaningful games. 

There is a second segment with Andrew Filipponi who works in the media in Pittsburgh. (He used to work at WGR.) He is highly critical of how the Penguin management is handling the operation. The guest focuses on the up and down cycles of the Penguins and how they have recently handled the end cycle. 

The third 15 segment is with Paul Hamilton. (It's not a 25 min segment.) What I found interesting is that much of what he said about the game matched what was said here. In general, he thought the Sabres played well but the difference in this game was the play of the opposition's goalie. When Paul H was asked which forward was going to sit this game he responded similarly to what others here are advocating for.  Overall, good hockey talk. 

https://www.audacy.com/wgr550/authors/howard-and-jeremy-show

Edited by JohnC
  • Thanks (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, Stormcloudmember66 said:

With another dman call up (Pilut) i am wondering if someone else hurt or maybe a defensive benching? I would say someone is hurt. This is starting to feel like 2006.

Not necessarily.  Just  calling him up just in case someone can't go in warmups (Pilut is now the 7D on the roster with Muel and Stillman not able to play)

What a huge game. Potential 4 point swing against the team we likely need to catch. We aren’t in it by point % currently and will fall further away with a loss. On the other hand, a win could significantly alter the landscape. 

Biggest game of season 

• Like (+1) 4

56 minutes ago, Thorny said:

What a huge game. Potential 4 point swing against the team we likely need to catch. We aren’t in it by point % currently and will fall further away with a loss. On the other hand, a win could significantly alter the landscape. 

Biggest game of season 

They are on the road, they have a good chance  👍  😉

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Mustache of God said:

If Comrie starts and Samuelsson can't go (which seems likely with the Pilot call up) , Im gonna need Comrie to prove he can win a game without Samuelsson in the lineup.

Did you watch the Jets game 

I was there, I didn’t see Samuelsson out there. I might have missed him though as the puck was in the Jets end the entire damn game 

2 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Did you watch the Jets game 

I was there, I didn’t see Samuelsson out there. I might have missed him though as the puck was in the Jets end the entire damn game 

I need Comrie to prove he can win TWO games with Samuelson out (looks like I forgot about that one 🙂 )

• Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Mustache of God said:

I need Comrie to prove he can win TWO games with Samuelson out (looks like I forgot about that one 🙂 )

Tbh I’m with you lol. But I’m well on record saying I’d be disappointed if anyone currently on the roster is the 1G next year 

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.