First impressions of Jordan Greenway

Quint

14 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

Sorry if I’m repeating myself here

he was injured last April, had surgery, missed training all summer , missed training camp, missed the start of the regular season   Maybe wait until Oct to pass judgement.   I know patience isn’t a virtue of a number of posters here 

Im going to give him 20 games next fall before I judge too much. 

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Im going to give him 20 games next fall before I judge too much. 

I'm going to give him 10 to 15 games next fall before I judge too much. With an offseason and training camp he should have more than enough time to establish a role and become comfortable with the team. In my mind, I see him as a third line or lower player who provides some size and toughness. I don't want to exaggerate his role next year. If he understands his role and plays within it, as Jost does, then his addition is a plus.

• Agree 2

9 hours ago, Buffalonill said:

So Granato is basically saying hes out of shape thats why hes not playing .

That should get you fired 

You are delusional. How is it Don Granato's fault that Greenway isn't up to the Sabres standard of fitness? I mean, you want to blame him for keeping in Olofsson and benching Jost, sure I am here for that but omg is this a special level of "I don't like him so everything that isn't perfect is his fault"

13 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

You are delusional. How is it Don Granato's fault that Greenway isn't up to the Sabres standard of fitness? I mean, you want to blame him for keeping in Olofsson and benching Jost, sure I am here for that but omg is this a special level of "I don't like him so everything that isn't perfect is his fault"

So you are OK with a coach pounding a table for a player  (For a playoff push) And hes out of shape ?

Shouldn't you research that before you trade for a player like that

• 2 weeks later...

Greenway has 2 goals in his two games since returning from injury.

From watching him in the past and watching him when he got here, something was not right. I’m convinced he was trying to play through something and gut it out. I don’t think he is in top shape to end the year.

He is a guy I really want to see come to camp next year when he is healthy and see how he does under Donny. There is a lot to like in his game and if Donny can bring the best of it out like we have seen with so many other players then i think this will be a really good pickup longterm.

• Like (+1) 4

10 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

From watching him in the past and watching him when he got here, something was not right. I’m convinced he was trying to play through something and gut it out. I don’t think he is in top shape to end the year.

He is a guy I really want to see come to camp next year when he is healthy and see how he does under Donny. There is a lot to like in his game and if Donny can bring the best of it out like we have seen with so many other players then i think this will be a really good pickup longterm.

Granato says the same - he can’t wait to work with him when he’s healthy basically

1 hour ago, Buffalonill said:

Hes going to be on the 4th line when Savoie comes next season 

I would bet that Savoie would more likely be on the third line with Mitts. 

When Granato was recently asked about Greenway on WGR, he said that he is playing impaired and that next year he expects him to be better. He added that he coached him before and strongly believes there is more to his game to draw from. 

1 hour ago, Buffalonill said:

Hes going to be on the 4th line when Savoie comes next season 

If KO retires and VO doesn't get moved preseason, then they're both on the 4th line next season. Savoie gets to learn like Krebs did this year. Girgensons-Savoie-Greenway. Savoie would get moved around to a few different lines as part of early season experimentation to see if he should hang around or get routed back to the WHL or loaned to Europe somehow.

33 minutes ago, JohnC said:

When Granato was recently asked about Greenway on WGR, he said that he is playing impaired and that next year he expects him to be better. He added that he coached him before and strongly believes there is more to his game to draw from. 

There's no room on the top 2 lines if Savoie comes so likely Greenway on the 4th and Savoie 3rd 

2 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

This is what I’m hoping for.

I see a player who looks out of shape, both physically and mentally. That’s why he was available.

Donnie believes in him, Donnie has a track record, Jordan has a track record, and his skill set is precisely what we need so the pieces are there.

I expect he will be challenged to have the off-season of his life and he will be put into a position to succeed.

Fingers crossed he responds.

Assuming Savoie is ready, the concept of a Savoie/Mitts/Greenway 3rd line sure has an intriguing mix of skills for next year

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

51 minutes ago, dudacek said:

This is what I’m hoping for.

I see a player who looks out of shape, both physically and mentally. That’s why he was available.

Donnie believes in him, Donnie has a track record, Jordan has a track record, and his skill set is precisely what we need so the pieces are there.

I expect he will be challenged to have the off-season of his life and he will be put into a position to succeed.

Fingers crossed he responds.

Assuming Savoie is ready, the concept of a Savoie/Mitts/Greenway 3rd line sure has an intriguing mix of skills for next year

I'd also like to add seeing him fully healthy. He had shoulder surgery last summer, then in his first game back with the Wild he either re-injured it or injured his other shoulder and missed an additional 2 weeks. If he needs another cleanup surgery and get back to his 2022 self (or just feel confident taking/making checks again) that'd go a long way.

On 3/22/2023 at 9:30 AM, Buffalonill said:

So you are OK with a coach pounding a table for a player  (For a playoff push) And hes out of shape ?

Shouldn't you research that before you trade for a player like that

It was public knowledge that he started the season out of shape due to not being able to complete a full off season work out program because of injuries/surgeries.   

This isn’t something that Adams/Granato learned when he got to Buffalo.  

You suggest that Granato was pounding the table to get a player (for the playoff push).  There is more evidence to suggest that Greenway was brought with the long view in mind.  

I’ll reserve all my judgement until he gets a full off season conditioning program with Buffalo.  

link to “public knowledge”:

https://m.startribune.com/wilds-jordan-greenway-ready-to-put-painful-offseason-behind-him-deliver-on-promise-lavelle-neal/600210755/

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 3

3 hours ago, JohnC said:

2 straight games with goals...starting to find a groove.

2 minutes ago, centralparkhockey said:

It was public knowledge that he started the season out of shape due to not being able to complete a full off season work out program because of injuries/surgeries.   

You suggest that Granato was pounding the table to get a player (for the playoff push).  There is more evidence to suggest that Greenway was brought with the long view in mind.  

I’ll reserve all my judgement until he gets a full off season conditioning program with Buffalo.  

https://m.startribune.com/wilds-jordan-greenway-ready-to-put-painful-offseason-behind-him-deliver-on-promise-lavelle-neal/600210755/

Adams and Granato are both in lock step that they are acquiring played with years on their contracts to help not only this year but in the future and typically younger players to fit in with the players already here.

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, centralparkhockey said:

Welcome back!

And great find!

Greenway has scored four goals in twelve games since becoming a Sabre. He only had two goals all season in 45 games with the Wild. He has scored 200 percent more goals here in 1/4 of the games. Hell, he even cracked a smile this time.

Edited by Quint
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.