First impressions of Jordan Greenway

Quint

2 hours ago, Pimlach said:

After 8 games my impression is he should sit instead of Jost who sat last game.  He should sit instead of JJP who was playing well and still benched. 

He is in the bottom 3 with Hino and VO.  If VO or Hino plays then sit Greenway. 

I hope DG can coach him up but for now he is not adding enough to help with the long shot playoff chances.  He did nothing against Boston when on the first line.  He does not belong there. 

He is not even hitting on the forecheck and he is not defending teammates.   The PK, one of his fortes, is terrible.  He offers no help that we see.  

Adam’s, speaking of his physical play, said he brings something that we didn’t have.  Where is it?   Can he at least be a physical presence while DG turns him into a 20 goal scorer?  

Would like them to sit him the next 2 games to actully watch how the rest of the F's play.  There aren't a lot of teams that play the Sabres style (and Minny definitely ain't one of them) so watching live could help with the acclimation process.

After that, would play whichever of he, Jost, and Olofsson the coaches feel bring what the team needs against that particular opponent.  Let that guy be the 3rd piece on a Mittelstadt Hinostroza line and if one of them plays particularly well one night, consider bumping Hinostroza the next game (if they won, keep him in) if they lost, bump him and go with 2 of those other 3.  Lather rinse repeat these last 14 games.

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Would like them to sit him the next 2 games to actully watch how the rest of the F's play.  There aren't a lot of teams that play the Sabres style (and Minny definitely ain't one of them) so watching live could help with the acclimation process.

After that, would play whichever of he, Jost, and Olofsson the coaches feel bring what the team needs against that particular opponent.  Let that guy be the 3rd piece on a Mittelstadt Hinostroza line and if one of them plays particularly well one night, consider bumping Hinostroza the next game (if they won, keep him in) if they lost, bump him and go with 2 of those other 3.  Lather rinse repeat these last 14 games.

Looks like that wish might get granted now that Greenway is listed as day to day

• Sad 1

Greenway needs to be challenged… to advance his offensive and defensive skills… and to play more assertive physically…

Reports were DG pounded the table to get the guy, so DG sees something Greenway has yet to show us…

Let’s give him an off-season, a camp, and next season before passing a final value judgement

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

6 minutes ago, Believer said:

Greenway needs to be challenged… to advance his offensive and defensive skills… and to play more assertive physically…

Reports were DG pounded the table to get the guy, so DG sees something Greenway has yet to show us…

Let’s give him an off-season, a camp, and next season before passing a final value judgement

I am willing to give him time, maybe he has been hobbled a bit lately. Adapting to a new team/city takes a while.

I’m not giving him all of next season though, if he plays like this for the first 20 games, he sits, gets moved or demoted.

• Like (+1) 2

48 minutes ago, French Collection said:

I’m not giving him all of next season though, if he plays like this for the first 20 games, he sits, gets moved or demoted.

Don’t disagree… When I posted I thought the first 40 games, but decided to give DG and Greenway the benefit of a full season… 

1 hour ago, Believer said:

I agree.  But the thread is “first impressions” and after 8 games that is my impression.   I expected physical play. Not seeing that yet. 

I sure hope he becomes something next season.  

19 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

I agree.  But the thread is “first impressions” and after 8 games that is my impression.   I expected physical play. Not seeing that yet. 

I sure hope he becomes something next season.  

Why? Because he is tall?

18 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Why? Because he is tall?

His size is a certainly a compelling factor but mostly because we spent a 2nd and 5th on him and I don’t see Adams bringing in many vets at forward with all the talent he has to look at ( Savoie, Kulich, Rousek and Rosen will get a close look in pre-season).  

Should Kyle or Zemgus leave Greenway will be an option to move to their line, he already has a role on PK.  

edit:  I see you bolded “I expected more physical play”.  Why?  Because when I watched him in Minnesota playing with Foligno and Reaves he was menacing.   Not just tall, but at 235 lbs he was playing a heavy game.  

Edited by Pimlach

5 hours ago, Pimlach said:

His size is a certainly a compelling factor but mostly because we spent a 2nd and 5th on him and I don’t see Adams bringing in many vets at forward with all the talent he has to look at ( Savoie, Kulich, Rousek and Rosen will get a close look in pre-season).  

Should Kyle or Zemgus leave Greenway will be an option to move to their line, he already has a role on PK.  

edit:  I see you bolded “I expected more physical play”.  Why?  Because when I watched him in Minnesota playing with Foligno and Reaves he was menacing.   Not just tall, but at 235 lbs he was playing a heavy game.  

Yep.  Totally different player than what was in Minny prior to this season

he had surgery last April and he missed the start of the season due to it 

im looking forward to him having an off season to train and get right 

hopefully we see the “old” greenway 

• Thanks (+1) 1

Jordan Greenway, a player barely alive in Minnesota.  Donny Meatballs can rebuild him. Make him better than he was before.  Better, stronger, faster. Dude just needs time to acclimate to change.  Never got the feeling he welcomed the trade initially.  A complete off-season to reflect, and understand how he can contribute will be welcomed by all parties. 

40 minutes ago, Broken Ankles said:

Dude just needs time to acclimate to change.  

I agree.

We aren't going to see what Greenway can do until he has a training camp and time to really practice with the team and learn his role.  DG also needs that time to figure out how best to utilize his talents.  Since we are out of the playoffs it's best to keep him in the lineup and continue to get him acclimated to the team and the team to him.  

Still, I'd like to see him bang some more.  That line with Foligno and he was extremely effective and they took the body more often than not. 

From a lineup standpoint, I'd play all the kids, I'd even rest Mitts, VO, Z, and KO to max the kid's PT.  We have nothing to lose at this point.

6 hours ago, Broken Ankles said:

Jordan Greenway, a player barely alive in Minnesota.  Donny Meatballs can rebuild him. Make him better than he was before.  Better, stronger, faster. Dude just needs time to acclimate to change.  Never got the feeling he welcomed the trade initially.  A complete off-season to reflect, and understand how he can contribute will be welcomed by all parties. 

Broken showing his age! Great show. Great intro anyway.

37 minutes ago, Night Train said:

When it comes to putting him on a line, he's been tossed around more than a midget wrestler. 

Will wait for camp. Needs to find a couple guys to play with. 

We don’t have a Markus Foligno to put on a line with him.  Will be interesting to see if he can gel with what we have on the roster.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.