First impressions of Jordan Greenway

Quint

6 hours ago, Sidc3000 said:

The Sabres have big guys. Are they at all know for physicality? 

But we don't need more big guys who play soft. We have our scorers on the roster and in the prospect pool. We need some big guys who play like big guys. 

I said this earlier and I hold to it now. Greenway is exactly like Bailey was. maybe just slower. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

But we don't need more big guys who play soft. We have our scorers on the roster and in the prospect pool. We need some big guys who play like big guys. 

I said this earlier and I hold to it now. Greenway is exactly like Bailey was. maybe just slower. 

I was at the game last night and I paid particular attention to Greenway at times. He had one decent hit at center ice early in the game and twice he was able to hold the puck against the boards with a couple defenders trying to dig it out. Tage hit guys more then greenway last night. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

On 3/15/2023 at 6:57 AM, LGR4GM said:

He's been okay if I consider him a 3rd line winger. Pk skills seem okay. He needs to be quicker in short areas. 

For what was traded for him it's hard to expect him to be more than a 3rd or 4th liner.

The question is, can he turn into a very good 3rd or 4th liner?  If so, great. If not, then he's just another guy.

• Like (+1) 1

On 3/14/2023 at 5:48 AM, Flashsabre said:

I think some people have fallen into the bitch just to bitch zone.  

Agree… Scapegoating is a favored response to losing… Typical fan stuff… 

• Agree 1

13 minutes ago, Believer said:

Agree… Scapegoating is a favored response to losing… Typical fan stuff… 

Meh, Greenway is not hurting the team. But I also don't think he is helping. I didn't notice him at all last night. At one point I realized I hadn't seen him so I was looking and he wasn't on the ice for a good 5-6 minutes of game play. 

Fan have been clamoring for somebody to help this team get more physical. We made a move, so I think there is some frustration that he didn't matter last night. 

He was very noticeable on the moribund PK that gave up the tying goal.  In fact, his man scored it.  

Overall he has been ok.  I reserve judgement for now.  I just hope he will  play more aggressively than what we have seen so far.  

I still see a fourth liner, especially when Savoie and Kulich are ready. 

• Agree 1

25 minutes ago, North Buffalo said:

Ive seen him better prior to his injury... we shall see if next year he can be better but confidence/drive is not there right now.  Lets see if Donnie can work his magic or is he another Ollie.

He is not another VO where he scores 25 goals yet plays a -20 in 5v5 and has no physical game.  He is not that.  

We need solid defense, help on PK, and a policeman presence.  15 goals and 30 points would be a ceiling. 

6 hours ago, Sidc3000 said:

I was at the game last night and I paid particular attention to Greenway at times. He had one decent hit at center ice early in the game and twice he was able to hold the puck against the boards with a couple defenders trying to dig it out. Tage hit guys more then greenway last night. 

Exactly my point. The guy isn't really good at anything. 

I'm in one of the most casual fan phases of my Sabre life. I rarely get to watch live and when I do my eyes are on the game maybe half the time. When I record the game I usually end up skipping to the good/bad parts (though have watched good chunks of games lately "live on tape"). All that said I really don't know Greenway from Greenwell. A nothing signing from all accounts so far.

7 minutes ago, nucci said:

how much more simple can his game get? 

Thanks.  He needs to be simple and directed.  He looks somewhere between confused and lost out there.  When he was effective in Minnesota, there was a purpose to his game which is missing now.

Maybe the coach pounding his fist on a table is not good criteria to acquire a player, especially giving up a 2nd and 5th. The concept of Greenway is solid. He looks the part of beast. But it seems he doesn't have inner drive to be the best version of himself. Maybe next year.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PerreaultForever said:

It would be even simpler in the press box. 

Based on what we have seen, this is true enough.  He was much more effective the last few seasons.  I assume HCDG is trying to figure out how to get that player back.

Well, we have had a few games now.  I'm not seeing much yet.

Players who seem to be much better on the Sabres?

-Jost.  Cost you nothing. Decent PK. Has hands and skating ability, chips in a goal here and there.

-Girgeonsons.  Best PK on the team. Motor guy. Part of a 4th line that at times pins the puck in deap and does a great job as a 4th line.

-Hinestroza.  Guy is fast and it shows when he plays. He may not be noticeable for games, but then he chips in some offense and actually scores meaningful goals.

-VO.  As much as people don't like him, the number of goals he scores, no matter the rest of his game, blows away anything Greenway is giving you.

Maybe he has taken a step back and the reason the Sabres traded for him is to get him in a position to get back to where he was. Maybe this year the step back he as taken is SO great because he is banged up. Who knows.  I'm not impressed by anything at all, nothing really stands out, but get him a month or two off after the season, get him into Buffalo for camp, and lets see what he shows in camp.  

• Like (+1) 2

On 3/16/2023 at 12:06 PM, Buffalonill said:

You need to give him more time but hes not a fit beacuse of his speed just cant keep up.

Omg, totally agree. Can we give him some time to adjust. He definitely can’t be on a “speed line”. Who knows what Donnie’s got planned for him. I’m willing to be patient and I don’t expect the final product this year.

On 3/16/2023 at 12:06 PM, Buffalonill said:

On 3/16/2023 at 9:31 AM, Pimlach said:

He was very noticeable on the moribund PK that gave up the tying goal.  In fact, his man scored it.  

Overall he has been ok.  I reserve judgement for now.  I just hope he will  play more aggressively than what we have seen so far.  

I still see a fourth liner, especially when Savoie and Kulich are ready. 

Ok another game in.  He did not show any aggression versus the Flyers, a team that sent out their thugs and pushed us around and then laughed us off the rink. 

He stock fell with me in that game.  I sure hope DG isn’t putting the stops on him, or worse, that he is all size but no  willingness to battle for this team.  

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.