First impressions of Jordan Greenway

Quint

6 minutes ago, sabresparaavida said:

Greenway was pretty much invisible tonight IMO.

Didn't he draw the penalty that set up the PP that saw Quinn decide not to take the easy shot while the PP was ending and instead buried the much more difficult midair rebound right after the PP ended?

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Didn't he draw the penalty that set up the PP that saw Quinn decide not to take the easy shot while the PP was ending and instead buried the much more difficult midair rebound right after the PP ended?

Indeed he did. I also noticed him a few times defensively disrupting some passes and I think he had a big block on a Matthews shot in the second period.

• Like (+1) 3

A few things on Greenway:

He looks slow but was faster in the past. Probably needs an offseason to get back into a Granato style player. 

Defensively he is what we needed; might even rub off some defensive skills on the roster. Most evident on PK 

He hasn't been running around hitting people like I had hoped but has certainly been a bull wherever he goes.

Very good net front presence; if at minimum thanks to his size.

Greenway is effectively, for now, a larger more physical but slightly slower Asplund for the team.   

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

Tremendous on the PK. Really good in our zone with positioning and keeping players to the outside.

No idea where the lack of speed takes are coming from. He can skate and process the game. I think some people have fallen into the bitch just to bitch zone.  

When a player is on the bigger side, lots of fans look at his movements, instead of the amount of ice he is covering. If he is not chugging his feet like smaller players, they think he is slow.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 5

18 minutes ago, SwampD said:

When a player is on the bigger side, lots of fans look at his movements, instead of the amount of ice he is covering. If he is not chugging his feet like smaller players, they think he is slow.

And when they aren’t burying guys, they think they aren’t using their size.

Greenway looked pretty powerful in every battle I saw him in.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

On 3/11/2023 at 9:33 PM, Doohickie said:

I've waited a bit to post. 

In a nutshell... I'm not seeing it.  I hope that he was playing a stogy system without a lot of creativity and once he gets used to the Granato system he will fit in but no matter what line he's on, in the offensive zone he's playing checkers while the rest of the forwards and often the Dmen are playing three-dimensional chess.

I will admit that he has toughness in the D zone and is good at breaking up threats, and maybe that's all they're really looking for out of the guy, but seriously I see a guy who's processing the game at troglodyte speed while the rest of the team is Mensa.

I'm not saying he's making poor decisions; it seems like he just takes to long to make decisions and react to the plays around him.

Dude can penalty kill, I'll give him that.  I think he looked okay on the line with... Mitts and Jost was it?  He makes those around him tougher.

10 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

Tremendous on the PK. Really good in our zone with positioning and keeping players to the outside.

No idea where the lack of speed takes are coming from. He can skate and process the game. I think some people have fallen into the bitch just to bitch zone.  

If you use it the right way, being tall/having great reach can be a huge asset on the PK. 

19 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

idk, he doesn't look like a fit to me. He has to be a LOT more physical to have any real value (given that he clearly lacks speed). 

I’m concerned that that DG is preventing him from  physical play back because he  “sees potential in him”. 

6 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Huh?

DG coached him as a kid. He also “pounded the table” when they got him according to Adams because DG saw something in him.

everything I’ve heard about Greenway is that he is a defensive winger who is physical on the forecheck. I worry that DG is going to push him to be more offensive and tell him to lay off the physicality. Especially to get him from under performing like ge was on his last team 

2 hours ago, Sidc3000 said:

DG coached him as a kid. He also “pounded the table” when they got him according to Adams because DG saw something in him.

everything I’ve heard about Greenway is that he is a defensive winger who is physical on the forecheck. I worry that DG is going to push him to be more offensive and tell him to lay off the physicality. Especially to get him from under performing like ge was on his last team 

I don’t think DG will do that to him. Donnie likes his players to play at their strengths and do what they do best. Greenway is what we needed a defensive forward who has physicality to his game. I think DG will use him in that role in the lineup and not jeopardize him. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

He's been okay if I consider him a 3rd line winger. Pk skills seem okay. He needs to be quicker in short areas. 

That's a fair assessment where he should be slotted. Also, his size and toughness/grit add an element that this roster can use. 

11 hours ago, Sidc3000 said:

I just don't get your point though. Pushed to be more offensive sure, but what coach tells a big guy to "lay off the physicality"? That would be insane imo. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.