First impressions of Jordan Greenway

Quint

37 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

His skating is poor as well as his agility.     They're a better team with Jost be in the lineup IMO.    

What he brings physically isn't enough to offset his lack of skill/skating.

From what I read about him, and the little I have seen so far, this may be true.  He can be a regular on the team on a lower line and have a role against certain teams, but I have to still be convniced he can be a 15+ minute player every night and be effective.

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

From what I read about him, and the little I have seen so far, this may be true.  He can be a regular on the team on a lower line and have a role against certain teams, but I have to still be convniced he can be a 15+ minute player every night and be effective

He looked like the slowest Sabre forward on the ice to me.  And top heavy.  Maybe just old man Okposo is slower. I'm fine with it, and on board with the role, just saying it was very noticeable.

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Two or less said:

I liked how he played. Wasn't the Steve Bernier debut some had hoped for maybe, but it was nice to have that sandpaper element in the lineup. Sabres really missed having a player like him. Would be nice to add someone else tough and with some bite to that lineup. He made a really nice pass to Cozens too. I think we'll really like Greenway the more we watch him play. His battles behind the net were fantastic in controlling possession. 

Stillman did that and look what happened. These players need to become part of the Sabre Borg. Adams and Granto have a hold of their TEAM and even protect players that just are NOT making it. Peterka can't play at this level yet but are protecting him from Criticism. Sure the other players are NOT ok with Peterka, Olofsson costing them goals night after night. Middlestat has some good nights but those are the guys that Salovia and Kulich will replace. Has to be or you can't get better.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Getpucksdeep said:

He looked like the slowest Sabre forward on the ice to me.  And top heavy.  Maybe just old man Okposo is slower. I'm fine with it, and on board with the role, just saying it was very noticeable.

Peterka is Fast but very noticeable he has NO idea what to do out there, step behind with his mind. Greenway just got here, doesn't know the plays, the players. He of course is NOT a SPEED guy but I bet he can bang the net, check and get puck back and defend his NET area. That is what you need from him.

• Like (+1) 2

As for Greenway, didn’t really notice him. Way too early to glean anything. I only have him as a bottom 6 winger going forward though, I think even the mid-6 stuff is noise. Nothing wrong with that, though. He amounts to more, all the better 

I've waited a bit to post. 

In a nutshell... I'm not seeing it.  I hope that he was playing a stogy system without a lot of creativity and once he gets used to the Granato system he will fit in but no matter what line he's on, in the offensive zone he's playing checkers while the rest of the forwards and often the Dmen are playing three-dimensional chess.

I will admit that he has toughness in the D zone and is good at breaking up threats, and maybe that's all they're really looking for out of the guy, but seriously I see a guy who's processing the game at troglodyte speed while the rest of the team is Mensa.

I'm not saying he's making poor decisions; it seems like he just takes to long to make decisions and react to the plays around him.

• Like (+1) 1

Stillman has had more of an immediate impact than Greenway. He may not do much this year.

2 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

I've waited a bit to post. 

In a nutshell... I'm not seeing it.  I hope that he was playing a stogy system without a lot of creativity and once he gets used to the Granato system he will fit in but no matter what line he's on, in the offensive zone he's playing checkers while the rest of the forwards and often the Dmen are playing three-dimensional chess.

I will admit that he has toughness in the D zone and is good at breaking up threats, and maybe that's all they're really looking for out of the guy, but seriously I see a guy who's processing the game at troglodyte speed while the rest of the team is Mensa.

I'm not saying he's making poor decisions; it seems like he just takes to long to make decisions and react to the plays around him.

I'm willing to wait. Jost took a while to settle in. But I agree I've yet to see anything exemplary in his play yet. Small things.

He looks ok and I’d have him in the mix for next year but nothing close to “Ah, another locked in top 9F as part of our future core forever and ever”. Maybe he makes the team next year, I think he’d be a good 4th liner most likely at least. maybe we recoup the asset and deal him if he doesn’t 

Wouldn’t be the first, or last, deadline acquisition to not be long for their new  team 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, Thorny said:

He looks ok and I’d have him in the mix for next year but nothing close to “Ah, another locked in top 9F as part of our future core forever and ever”. Maybe he makes the team next year, I think he’d be a good 4th liner most likely at least. maybe we recoup the asset and deal him if he doesn’t 

Wouldn’t be the first, or last, deadline acquisition to not be long for their new  team 

Hoping the slowness is in part due to not necessarily knowing where to be.  Skinner and Thompson have been playing together for nearly 2 full sesons.  They KNOW what the other one will do.

But yeah, he's most likely pencilled in as Okposo's replacement and the only reason right now that he's Tuch's replacement is that by trying him there the other 3 lines can get back to what was working prior to Tuch's injury.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Hoping the slowness is in part due to not necessarily knowing where to be.  Skinner and Thompson have been playing together for nearly 2 full sesons.  They KNOW what the other one will do.

But yeah, he's most likely pencilled in as Okposo's replacement and the only reason right now that he's Tuch's replacement is that by trying him there the other 3 lines can get back to what was working prior to Tuch's injury.

Good call on why he was on the Thompson line. It was a bit of a head scratcher because Quinn has been pretty good there.

It’s clear Greenway has no idea where to be with those guys. It felt like there were a dozen times he was on top of either Skinner or Tage and they had nowhere to pass the puck. 

He looks slow and clunky to me. Right now I like KO a lot better. But he’s old and on his way out. 

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.