Could the NHL be expanding to 34 Franchises with New Teams in Atlanta and Houston?

Brawndo

57 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Early prognostication on whether the referendum passes?

Whatever happens , expect Kari Lake to complain.

I think it passes because it's a good deal for Tempe, the opponents seem to mostly be from Phoenix. I think Tempe residents would see it as a good thing, which it is. The Glendale development around the arena is awesome, this will be similar.

• Thanks (+1) 1

Buffalo Sabres fans should be in favor of both NHL expansion of Atlanta and Houston it takes two potential moving spots that are huge growing television markets away from the Buffalo Sabres to potentially get enticed by. Also look stadiums and arenas are shrinking with less or no upper deck seats. It’s a television game now it really doesn’t matter as much about the in house gate which will help Atlanta Thrashers this time. Does the team sell merchandise does the Atlanta Thrashers fans watch in huge numbers from a television standpoint. The Buffalo Sabres can have 2,000 fans at Key Bank Center it doesn’t really matter. How many are watching at home with MSG, ESPN+ subscription and buy the merchandise. The Buffalo Sabres exist on not just Western New York but all the Western New York transplants that watch and buy Sabres stuff. Again expansion is good add 40 teams if it keeps Sabres hockey in Buffalo and the NHL owners get a billionaire fool to folk over millions in NHL expansion fees go for it. If I had to guess if someone moves to Atlanta relocation I think it will be the Winnipeg Jets moving back to become the Atlanta Thrashers again like the Los Angeles Rams. Because the Winnipeg Jets are down 3,000 a game in a very small arena to begin with. Houston if it’s relocation I think it will be the Arizona Coyotes. 

• Eyeroll 1

• 5 months later...
4 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

My hunch is Atlanta and SLC( unless Arizona moves there) or San Diego if they do 

Really not happy about the possibility of additional expansion.  Something truly perfect about there being 2^5 teams in the league and each round (RS, 1st Round, QF, SF, F) cutting that quantity in half.

Plus, as it is now, at an absolute minimum there are 2 teams in the league that will be waiting more than 3 decades to win their next (and possibly 1st) championship.  Add 2 more teams and there will still definitely be at least 4 in that boat.  That's a crazy long time to go and realistically you could be looking at 15 or so teams with no parade at the end of the year over that span.

16 hours ago, Taro T said:

Really not happy about the possibility of additional expansion. 

Fahk. This is a horrible idea.

What it reminds me of: How, in certain industries when profits are flat over a period of time, companies/firms will often seek to expand themselves into greater profitability through acquisitions. That doesn't usually work out.

Seems like the NHL owners can't (won't) say "no" to more expansion fees. Greedy. And stupid.

38 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

What it reminds me of: How, in certain industries when profits are flat over a period of time, companies/firms will often seek to expand themselves into greater profitability through acquisitions. That doesn't usually work out.

Seems like the NHL owners can't (won't) say "no" to more expansion fees. Greedy. And stupid.

Greedy? I agree, but that doesn't make them unique, or wrong. 

Why do you think expansion is stupid?

13 minutes ago, Hank said:

Myriad reasons. Taro touched on some of them above. I also think that dilution of the quality of the game is inevitable. There's also the matter of how some franchises don't belong/are not supported where they currently are (Arizona, principally) - they ought to be relocated to new markets before expansion is permitted.

Mostly, though, I see the march towards expansion -- does Bettman ultimately envision 36 teams? and 6 divisions of 6 teams each? -- as something unduly motivated by a desire to increase revenues without addressing other persistent, underlying issues that suppress profit growth and market share. Just getting bigger is an easy, short-sighted "fix."

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, That Aud Smell said:

31 minutes ago, Hank said:

12 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Myriad reasons. Taro touched on some of them above. I also think that dilution of the quality of the game is inevitable. There's also the matter of how some franchises don't belong/are not supported where they currently are (Arizona, principally) - they ought to be relocated to new markets before expansion is permitted.

Mostly, though, I see the march towards expansion -- does Bettman ultimately envision 36 teams? and 6 divisions of 6 teams each? -- as something unduly motivated by a desire to increase revenues without addressing other persistent, underlying issues that suppress profit growth and market share. Just getting bigger is an easy, short-sighted "fix."

Ding, ding, ding.  We have a winner.  The owners can’t help reaching into the till when the register is open.  No matter the consequences.  They get $$$$ blinded.   A league that continues to find new ways to piss off their current fanbase without generating any new fans.  

• Like (+1) 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.