Could the NHL be expanding to 34 Franchises with New Teams in Atlanta and Houston?

Brawndo

Both John Buccigross and Kevin Weekes have made cryptic tweets about possible expansion teams to both Atlanta as well as Houston in the past couple of days. 

given the fact that Seattle and Vegas are two of the biggest revenue teams in the NHL it would make sense to consider this from a financial standpoint. The question becomes does Atlanta deserve another attempt at a franchise after having two move to Calgary and Winnipeg, respectively. 

Edited by Brawndo

8 minutes ago, Rasmus_ said:

Atlanta does not deserve another team.  Quebec should easily receive a team before Atlanta.  Houston is fine, by me.  

Houston couldn't fill the Astrodome for the state's national sport.  Randall's Food Markets was responsible for almost all of the sellouts for games against teams not from Pittsburgh, Cleveland, or Dallas.  And that was for a team that had made the playoffs 6 or 7 years in a row.   They didn't support the Aeros after the Howes left.  Don't put a team in Houston.

That city only supports frontrunners (and even that is reluctantly).

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Please do not expand beyond 32 teams. There is something very right about having 2^5 teams in the league.

The regular season knocks out 1/2 of them out and then 4 rounds of playoffs trims down to the winner.

16 teams make the playoffs and it takes 16 wins to raise the Cup.

Perfect.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, shrader said:

Atlanta failed twice already. Anyone who even considers giving them a team needs to be shot out of a cannon. 

There's already fake news out there saying that Atlanta failed twice because of bad ownership.  It's like the league planted these pieces.  

1 minute ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I find it hilarious that people who don’t live here, don’t know anything about the sports market here and don’t why the Thrashers failed are commenting on whether or not a new team would prosper here.

We all watched it.  Some of us watched it twice.  And somehow, you feel free to comment on the sports market in Buffalo, where you do not live.

Edited by Eleven
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Night Train said:

Some other great ideas the NHL had that failed quickly during my time..(I'm old) 

Oakland/California Seals

Kansas Ciy Scouts

Cleveland Barons

Quebec had an owner that got wiped out financially and Colorado got the team.  That's a place they should actually revisit. Big fanbase. 

Owners are more interested in the TV market and TV revenue than they are in the fanbase. Houston is a big market that can become a rival to another Texas city that is already in the NHL i.e. Dallas. 

35 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I find it hilarious that people who don’t live here, don’t know anything about the sports market here and don’t why the Thrashers failed are commenting on whether or not a new team would prosper here.

Sports market in Atlanta: Braves, Georgia, ... occasionally the Falcons.

If the nhl was smart, they'd put a team in Charlotte. 

• Agree 2

5 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Sports market in Atlanta: Braves, Georgia, ... occasionally the Falcons.

If the nhl was smart, they'd put a team in Charlotte. 

If the NHL was smart, it would GTFO of the south, which wants to become its own country.

• Haha (+1) 2

47 minutes ago, Night Train said:

Some other great ideas the NHL had that failed quickly during my time..(I'm old) 

Oakland/California Seals

Kansas Ciy Scouts

Cleveland Barons

Quebec had an owner that got wiped out financially and Colorado got the team.  That's a place they should actually revisit. Big fanbase. 

KC had amazing uni’s.  I’m all for bringing them back 

46 minutes ago, Eleven said:

There's already fake news out there saying that Atlanta failed twice because of bad ownership.  It's like the league planted these pieces.  

We all watched it.  Some of us watched it twice.  And somehow, you feel free to comment on the sports market in Buffalo, where you do not live.

I’ve never commented on the Buffalo sports market of today. Nice try.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.