Rasmus Asplund traded to Nashville for a 2025 7th Round Pick

Brawndo

2016 was not a great result for GMTM.  Nylander never blossomed like his brother (the trade for Joki is a better outcome, but I'd rather we took McAvoy).  Asplund never blossomed either.  Cliff Pu got us Jeff Skinner.  Hagl was drafted, but never played for Buffalo.  Brett Murray may be a career minor leaguer, etc.

Edited by Carmel Corn

Just now, Carmel Corn said:

2016 was not a great result for GMTM.  Nylander never blossomed like his brother (the trade for Joki is a better outcome, but I'd rather we took McAvoy).  Asplund never blossomed either.  Cliff Pu got us Jeff Skinner.  Hagl was drafted, but never played for Buffalo.  Murray may be a career minor leaguer, etc.

Hagel was a great pick though! It’s not like he forced Botterill to hate CHL players 

Murray was a reasonable drafter imo

26 minutes ago, dudacek said:

That’s probably a helping a player out move.

One of the few guys Donnie did not seem to like.

And Greenway obviously pushes him out even further.

I think this was exactly happened. 

Jost made him redundant 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

I always thought Asplund had a future as a solid bottom-6 defensive forward.  A 7th round pick isn't worth much, but as others have said, a few things about this deal make sense:  1)  Give him an opportunity to play elsewhere where he might get some ice time - goodwill with players is good for the organization's reputation throughout the league; 2) team needed to get under the apparent limit to number of players under contract at one time (I was not aware of this before today); 3) break up some of the gridlock in the forward pipeline; 4) the trade for Greenway and the presence of Jost, both of whom are defensive forwards.  I would have preferred a long-shot defense prospect or bottom pairing depth defenseman to a 7th round pick, but it's better than a bag of pucks (slightly), and I guess we already got that in Stillman.

• Agree 1

21 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Seems like a ***** return to me, was not making the team in the future but would have at least expected a 4th

Idk about a 4th but we can probably both agree on: anything more than a 2025 7th.

A 7th rd pick next year would make sense. Im not gonna hate on KA for the return, just surprised it wasnt a little more

• Like (+1) 1

I think the Jost pickup sealed his future in Buffalo. Jost is better and is an NHL C.

Asplund just couldn’t score enough to claim a spot on the wing. He didn’t block Quinn, JJP and was a good soldier.

I liked him and it’s too bad we lose his versatility but Greenway is something they need and a different skill set.

Good luck in Nashville.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Mb278 said:

true - but guessing he might not have cleared waivers with Greenway on his way...a 7th is better than what we got for Fitzgerald. 

Yup -- if something else was brewing with NSH (Fabbro, Saros, more speculation), Asplund's getting claimed unless you send down JJP or UPL. You take what you can get and wish him well. He was 13F and that spot is already taken next year.

Edit: But too bad we couldn't get a 5th or 6th.  OR do something like Asplund + BUF 7th for a NSH 4th.

Edited by DarthEbriate

58 minutes ago, dudacek said:

That’s probably a helping a player out move.

One of the few guys Donnie did not seem to like.

And Greenway obviously pushes him out even further.

And this, and the Bjork move, have value; players notice this stuff and consider it when discerning possible destinations.  It’s like the opposite of the Hall trade (other teams notice weakness).

Just now, Eleven said:

And this, and the Bjork move, have value; players notice this stuff and consider it when discerning possible destinations.  It’s like the opposite of the Hall trade (other teams notice weakness).

Semantics, but I don’t think many league players care that Asplund moved today. Frankly, a fairly large share probably don’t even know who Rasmus Asplund is. 

But again, semantics: the agents certainly pay attention 

44 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

I always felt there was something about Asplund that Granato didn't like. Didn't really give him the same development opportunities that they gave Krebs and Mitts and others. Not sure why, but it's pretty clear they had no use for him and this move is just clearing the roster spot for Greenway so they don't have to make any other moves with Rochester. 

When it comes right down to it, seems to me like Donnie values skill above all else.

Give him a skill guy who’s willing to work hard and he thinks he’ll fix any technical or motivational issues.

Asplund was already highly motivated and very technically sound, he just didn’t have the hands.

Donnie didn’t see an upside and would rather be working with a Krebs or a Peterka.

35 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Really expect this move was just trying to do right by the player and also to keep from having him become a distraction. He's the 1 player on the roster than had 2 players brought in to move in front of him as both Jost and Greenway will be expected to do what Asplund was originally expected to do.

Agree completely.

To further that, last year Asplund was our 9th or 10th forward. As of today, he was 14th or 15th.

And that’s not because his game fell off a cliff, it’s because Krebs, Peterka, Quinn, Jost and now Greenway have all pushed past him.

The “Do Something Adams” crowd needs to keep in mind that a team improves by what you see on the roster, not on the trade wire.

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Eleven said:

This, but also @Thorny‘s response.

Pat Brisson got the Sabres a 3rd rounder yesterday just as much as Adams did.

5 minutes ago, dudacek said:

When it comes right down to it, seems to me like Donnie values skill above all else.

Give him a skill guy who’s willing to work hard and he thinks he’ll fix any technical or motivational issues.

Asplund was already highly motivated and very technically sound, he just didn’t have the hands.

Donnie didn’t see an upside and would rather be working with a Krebs or a Peterka.

Agree completely.

To further that, last year Asplund was our 9th or 10th forward. As of today, he was 14th or 15th.

And that’s not because his game fell off a cliff, it’s because Krebs, Peterka, Quinn, Jost and now Greenway have all pushed past him.

The “Do Something Adams” crowd needs to keep in mind that a team improves by what you see on the roster, not on the trade wire.

Once the core has been accumulated, you mean 

4 minutes ago, Norcal said:

Wish him well. I think he likes dressing up as a cowboy already so he'll fit right in. 

Wait...you don’t? 

Edited by Thorny

7 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Semantics, but I don’t think many league players care that Asplund moved today. Frankly, a fairly large share probably don’t even know who Rasmus Asplund is. 

But again, semantics: the agents certainly pay attention 

2 minutes ago, dudacek said:

This, but also @Thorny‘s response.

Pat Brisson got the Sabres a 3rd rounder yesterday just as much as Adams did.

Agree w the Brisson thing, but players notice when a guy gets moved because he needs an opportunity.  I think they know who Asplund is--he's a plugger, and the players know the pluggers on their own teams as well as on other teams.  

Edited by Eleven
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, Eleven said:

Agree w the Brisson thing, but players notice when a guy gets moved because he needs an opportunity.  I think they know who Ashland is--he's a plugger, and the players know the pluggers on their own teams as well as on other teams.  

Freudian slip! 

checkmate. Sorry, dems da rules 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.