Rasmus Asplund traded to Nashville for a 2025 7th Round Pick

Brawndo

Just now, Taro T said:

Freed up one additional contract slot should Adams have a final deal that slipped in under the deadline.

If he didn't make any other deals, he could be in on 2 NCAA FA's if any are worth taking a flyer on .

And Levi, of course.  I think we talked about this before though.  Capfriendly has them at 44 contracts, so you're number probably includes the signed guys in juniors like Savoie.  I believe Bloom was one of them previously, so there's one less of those guys who could impact the roster count with late call up.

I always felt there was something about Asplund that Granato didn't like. Didn't really give him the same development opportunities that they gave Krebs and Mitts and others. Not sure why, but it's pretty clear they had no use for him and this move is just clearing the roster spot for Greenway so they don't have to make any other moves with Rochester. 

1 minute ago, shrader said:

And Levi, of course.  I think we talked about this before though.  Capfriendly has them at 44 contracts, so you're number probably includes the signed guys in juniors like Savoie.  I believe Bloom was one of them previously, so there's one less of those guys who could impact the roster count with late call up.

Am going off of Puckpedia's count.  Which had them at 47 with Asplund still on the team.

Levi and Johnson are pencilled in for the final 2 contract slots IMHO.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, TheAud said:

Asplund may end up being to the Preds what Jost has become to the Sabres. I think he has more game than he's demonstrated this year. 

Or not, it just wouldn't surprise me. 

I think so too, and this is pretty salient.  He seemed to fall out of favour with DG, both teams probably trying to do that same thing, here. Both caught in a system non-preferable to their talents 

I think I was referring to Asplund as Larsson light last year 

1 minute ago, Weave said:

He never struck me as an NHL player.  He’s an insurance policy.  Hiney is better for that role given the game Granato coaches.

I was always high on Asplund, but he just never played fast enough. Some combination of Rousek and Kulich and 8 games of Savoie will replace him easily next season.

But what Sabre will earn a Selke vote next (not including Cozens)?  😇

Just now, Mustache of God said:

Remember when Tim Murray moved up in the draft specifically targeting Asplund? Always had high hopes for him. Sucks that the return is a 7th but not surprising considering he was our 13th forward and we played Rochester call ups over him.

Kind of the yin to Murray's acquisition of Olofsson's yang.

4 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Am going off of Puckpedia's count.  Which had them at 47 with Asplund still on the team.

Levi and Johnson are pencilled in for the final 2 contract slots IMHO.

Capfriendly has added a logo now for the three signed draftees (Savoie/Östlund/Nadeau) that marks them as exempt from the 50 contract roster limit.  That's a nice addition.

https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/sabres

Really expect this move was just trying to do right by the player and also to keep from having him become a distraction. He's the 1 player on the roster than had 2 players brought in to move in front of him as both Jost and Greenway will be expected to do what Asplund was originally expected to do.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, phil_soisson said:

Wow, a former 2nd Round Pick, 33rd overall, traded for a 7th rounder. That's Buffalo

You know how they say a car loses half it’s value once it’s driven off the lot?

The Mystery Box always has a level of appeal. “Rasmus Asplund is Rasmus Asplund, but a draft pick could be anything! Even Rasmus Asplund!”

This isn’t the logic KA used here but I’m using it to illustrate the fact that, often, draft picks have more value left unopened 

• Like (+1) 3

9 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Really expect this move was just trying to do right by the player and also to keep from having him become a distraction. He's the 1 player on the roster than had 2 players brought in to move in front of him as both Jost and Greenway will be expected to do what Asplund was originally expected to do.

Another part of this trade, I'm sure, is KA simply building relationships. He gave Nashville "a deal" which could help when he's trying to work with them in the future.

Edited by ...
  • Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.