Chychrun to Ottawa

Brawndo

11 hours ago, ... said:

Jumping Christmas. Who really believes this guy would fit in with the Sabres' room?

His personality and situation reminds me of Eichel. He clearly has baggage in terms of injuries and long-standing trade rumours. His demeanor is nothing like the rest of our roster.

The fact that they took so little for him makes me think they were happy to move him which means he made them happy to move him.

I believe that he would fit in. He's a player who has a strong desire to win. The organization went to him and told him that they were going to undergo a rebuild. He had already been with the team for a number of years. He was candid and the organization to their credit was candid about their plans. Considering what the status of our blueline unit is, he would have been a significant addition. It seems that the price for him was reasonable. The major question that lingered in any trade proposal is his health status. 

What Jack and Chychrun have in common is a desire to win. I'm not criticizing anyone who has that desire. The solution to changing the "I want out" mindset for your star players is to start taking action that will lead to winning. A Chychrun addition would have been a terrific addition. 

Summary of scenarios:

ChychrunCost.thumb.jpg.9985feadb2ac97c9cf9ce1cd118e404b.jpg

If they happen to hit the lottery this year (or freefall to bottom during regular season), then they will lose a ton next year (but will have gotten a very good prospect this year.)  Most likely scenario, though, is that they give up a mid-round (10-18) 1st this year and a 2nd in each of 2024 and 2026.  The "two firsts" scenario is very unlikely and includes a very late 1st this year and a protected 1st next year.

I'm indifferent about not meeting or beating that.  There may not be a better use for those assets this trade deadline (we'll see), but there could be this summer.

Edited by carpandean
  • Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, ... said:

Jumping Christmas. Who really believes this guy would fit in with the Sabres' room?

11 hours ago, Second Line Center said:

If KA isn’t sold the player wants to be here we won’t try to acquire them.  That’s a massive part of his plan and it’s working.    

I wanted to take some solace in the fact that GM KA might have decided not to go in on the player because Chychrun was not - as Stillman evidently is - a perceived "fit" with the current roster.

But all of the most connected insiders were saying that Buffalo wanted the player, just not at the price being demanded.

So, the Sabres didn't get a player they'd identified as someone who could help. That's it, really.

• Thanks (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, RVJ said:

I cant believe we didn't beat this trade. If KA didn't want to pay a big contract down the line. He could

have used him for two years and then trade him for what he would have given up or even more.

It doesn't make any sense honestly.

It wasn't even top prospects it was lottery tickets For a proven player that we didn't have to wait 3 to 4 years to develop

1 hour ago, Stormcloudmember66 said:

The GM's job is to always looking to make the team better. We are on the cusp to making the playoffs, and the GM is too worried about sticking to his plan then trying to make the team better.  I will admit , the deadline has NOT come and gone and he still has a chance to do do that, but IMHO if he does not he is no better then Krueger. No vision to see outside his own plan to make the team better. Include/Exclude whatever trades that happened already, there was obvious upgrades at good prices that could have been had! I will hold out hope we improve, but if we do not KA is showing a not so great trait as a GM. The inability to see outside of his own box to do what he has to do. 

You can’t just ignore trades (or any moves) that have happened already. The fact is KA has made this team leaps and bounds better than the team he inherited. Making a team better isn’t just about adding players. It’s also about subtracting players and knowing when the best action is inaction. TM was fantastic at “making moves”, but all of the were the wrong ones. KA has proved he is able to navigate this tram to success. People want to ***** all over KA, but forget he runs a team knocking on the playoff door after decades of being absent. 

44 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

If we make the playoffs with the lineup we have Adams will be vindicated.  

If we fall short, he will be under scrutiny, and he should be. 

It about Results and Adams cannot rest on the fact that the team was in the race in March.   He had had opportunities to improve the team and made decisions to stay the course. 

I really think being in the race in March / April was the goal all along and they’ve been successful 

making the playoffs would be a bonus to adams but not worth changing course of his “plan”

I still hate the fact they didn’t land Chychrun and my blood boils whenever I see #78 on the ice BUT I’ll put that all aside for this season, as I still have lots of faith in Adams 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Crusader1969 said:

I really think being in the race in March / April was the goal all along and they’ve been successful 

making the playoffs would be a bonus to adams but not worth changing course of his “plan”

I still hate the fact they didn’t land Chychrun and my blood boils whenever I see #78 on the ice BUT I’ll put that all aside for this season, as I still have lots of faith in Adams 

If you’re right then that is a losing mentality.  Reach a goal and be content, instead of pushing harder to the next goal. That is not great leadership. 

There is no guarantee we will be better next year either.  We have been lucky with injuries, especially at forward.  We still do not have a #1 goalie.  Teams will learn how to play Buffalo.  Teams in our conference are getting better too.  Next year is another story.  

• Thanks (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, kas23 said:

You can’t just ignore trades (or any moves) that have happened already. The fact is KA has made this team leaps and bounds better than the team he inherited. Making a team better isn’t just about adding players. It’s also about subtracting players and knowing when the best action is inaction. TM was fantastic at “making moves”, but all of the were the wrong ones. KA has proved he is able to navigate this tram to success. People want to ***** all over KA, but forget he runs a team knocking on the playoff door after decades of being absent. 

Is it ok to want a bit more urgency though?  Yes Adams has improved the team.  But my goodness he's patient to a glacial degree.  At some point the fanbase deserves some juice - and some measurable progress.

Edited by Cascade Youth
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

making a few trades to improve the team isn't changing course. If his plan is to rely only on developing his draft picks, that won't win a Cup

• Like (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

I wanted to take some solace in the fact that GM KA might have decided not to go in on the player because Chychrun was not - as Stillman evidently is - a perceived "fit" with the current roster.

But all of the most connected insiders were saying that Buffalo wanted the player, just not at the price being demanded.

So, the Sabres didn't get a player they'd identified as someone who could help. That's it, really.

why was Adams actively in discussions if Chyckrun was not a fit?   Seems like that is something they know quickly.  

The angst comes from the price that AZ “settled for” was one 1st rounder, not two or three.  And Ottawa got better.  

Look at what Toronto gave up for McCabe and Lafferty, futures in 25 and 26 that they can replace. 

Meh. If 30 other teams weren't willing to beat that offer clearly wasn't thought of all that highly around the league. I think the fact that he gets injured every year plays a significant part in that return.

• Haha (+1) 1

Would it change anybody's mind about the trade if it is viewed as Chychrun and a '24 late 2nd rounder for a '23 1st, a '24 2nd (which could become a 1st), a '26 2nd, and Johnson? Doubt it does, but am curious.

Because it seems based upon the rumors going around last week that Johnson will be signing with the Sabres, but would be surprised if he does sign with them were they to have Chychrun in house.  There'd be 4 entrenched LHD ahead of Johnson on the depth chart were Chychrun here.

3 1sts and a swap of 2nds seems like a lot to give up for him.  

12 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Would it change anybody's mind about the trade if it is viewed as Chychrun and a '24 late 2nd rounder for a '23 1st, a '24 2nd (which could become a 1st), a '26 2nd, and Johnson? Doubt it does, but am curious.

Because it seems based upon the rumors going around last week that Johnson will be signing with the Sabres, but would be surprised if he does sign with them were they to have Chychrun in house.  There'd be 4 entrenched LHD ahead of Johnson on the depth chart were Chychrun here.

3 1sts and a swap of 2nds seems like a lot to give up for him.  

It’s too late for what ifs, at least for me.  

As for Johnson, I sure hope we don’t base critical roster decisions and potential playoff status on making him comfortable.   

He can go no matter what we do and we still get compensation pick.  I don’t want a player who does not want to compete.  He belongs in Rochester next year anyway.  

22 minutes ago, NAF said:

Meh. If 30 other teams weren't willing to beat that offer clearly wasn't thought of all that highly around the league. I think the fact that he gets injured every year plays a significant part in that return.

30 other teams obviously weren't all interested in him. Were 30 other teams interested in every player that was traded recently?

1 hour ago, Cascade Youth said:

Is it ok to want a bit more urgency though?  Yes Adams has improved the team.  But my goodness he's patient to a glacial degree.  At some point the fanbase deserves some juice - and some measurable progress.

Understandable. We all want the Sabres in the playoffs this year. But, I really think that’s up to the players. They just dropped a winnable game in Columbus. And the next 2 games look rough. 

It’s not just KA that is taking this route, but it appears Detroit is also. They appear to be right in the playoff mix and Steve Y is a seller to get more draft picks. I don’t think anyone is doubting him. I’m addition, there’s an obvious arms race going on right now in the East. At this point, I don’t any of the top teams have any draft picks left for the next 2 years. We can’t compete with that. Let the Rangers, Tampa, Boston, Toronto and Devils destroy each other. The problem is only one will win the Cup. They will all be imploding in the next 3-4 years. 

15 minutes ago, kas23 said:

Understandable. We all want the Sabres in the playoffs this year. But, I really think that’s up to the players. They just dropped a winnable game in Columbus. And the next 2 games look rough. 

It’s not just KA that is taking this route, but it appears Detroit is also. They appear to be right in the playoff mix and Steve Y is a seller to get more draft picks. I don’t think anyone is doubting him. I’m addition, there’s an obvious arms race going on right now in the East. At this point, I don’t any of the top teams have any draft picks left for the next 2 years. We can’t compete with that. Let the Rangers, Tampa, Boston, Toronto and Devils destroy each other. The problem is only one will win the Cup. They will all be imploding in the next 3-4 years. 

First, 3-4 years is a few chances to win the Cup. Also, many say every year that these teams are going to start falling off but they never do. Bruins just signed Pastrnak when some  said they couldn't afford to. The top teams usually stay on top while we never get there. And yes, those teams could destroy each other but it will be during the playoffs

• Agree 1

He’s looking 3 years out when he can’t afford Chychrun any longer

with the 23 first they could get a guy like Simashev who could be ready to contribute in 25/26 when Chychrun walks away as a UFA

im still holding on hope he has at least 1 move for a bonafide 6th Dman 

2 hours ago, Cascade Youth said:

Measurable progress?  You can just look at the standings and see that there is substantial progress this season 

Everyone who is saying Buffalo could have matched the offer.. that's correct, I am sure they could have.

What is everyone's thoughts on whether that offer was available for Buffalo match?  That's been floated out there that the trade offers are not always the same for each team. 

If you operate under that assumption then do you not also have to allow that perhaps Buffalo did not have that offer on the table to match?

There's so many unknowns and that's why it's hard for me to get upset about these things.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

Did they tho?  Were we really in on him?

Or do the insiders know Buffalo fans of both teams soak these leaks up online and give them plenty of clicks.   

Coyotes GM Bill Armstrong went on record today and mentioned that the Ottawa first was the highest value pick that they felt they could get in return. What if Adams felt the same as many members of this board and did not want to give up his 2023 first and instead offered their 2024 first and two second round picks? 

if I were Armstrong, I would take the Ottawa peck as it is most likely to be somewhere in the 20-16 range, compared to somewhere in the 20s for the Sabres pick  in 2024

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.