Will the Buffalo Sabres make the playoffs?

PASabreFan

And prior to the lottery, for the draft the Sabres will be seeded between 12 and 16. They currently would have the 13th pick. The Otters could tie the Sabres and the Sabres could pass Pittsburgh and Nashville and tie Calgary.  

The Otters would have more RW's than the Sabres if they're tied and the Sabres would have more than Calgary if they were tied.

So, the Sabres pick will be one of 2-6 and 12-16.

And as frustrating it is for us fans to watch our team go a full dozen years in the desert, and with as much value as we put on makig the playoffs, not just for finally ending the longest drought in league history but also for the experience the team will gain from playing actual playoff hockey, we have to remember that Adams doesn't put the same priority/value on the playoffs themselves as we do.

That Carolina team that won the Cup in '06 hadn't made the playoffs recently prior to their run. They'd been the worst team overall, the 5th worst team overall, and missed a year of play before their frustratingly improbable run. Yes, they had some grizzled vets that had been there before like Rechhi and Williams and others like Brind'Amour who though they hadn't hoisted Lord Stanley's Chalice knew how to play in the playoffs. But that team itself hadn't done anything before winning it all and they did it behind a 2nd year (pretty sure it was his 2nd, maybe 3rd) Staal and a rookie goalie that never really did anything else after that and an over the hill backup.

Adams wanted the playoffs this year, but he wasn't going to sacrifice any of the future to do so. That's why the only moves at the deadline were for guys that he expects can help in the future and not just this season. (And the guys he went after but couldn't land were in that same category.)

It's extremely frustrating and he may be proved wrong in his view that the playoffs this year weren't important; but will give him the benefit of the doubt on it for now; because this team looks like a low 100's point team as presently constituted at worst and with any health whatsoever next year should be better than that plus there's a full summer to bring in a couple of tweaks to the roster.

Yes, have drunk the Kool-Aid.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

Can buffalo still win the lottery 

Yes, but it will only net them somewhere between 2-6 as they'll end up in the 12-16th slot.  (They're currently in 13th; only the Otters can catch them and they can catch Pittsburgh, Nashville, and Calgary.)

Just now, Buffalonill said:

2-6 is a win in my book

At this point, that's the potential consolation but it isn't very likely and personally want to see them drafting 6th as they move ahead of the 3 they can still catch and end with 91 and then get a blue chip prospect at 6 winning that lottery for the 1st time ever when they didn't have the best odds of winning it.

Missed by a point.  I am actually very pleased with the way they played down the stretch and overall.  If any of the goalies and a few less lapses.  If the team as a whole was a hair tighter on D.  If we had one or two playoff tested vets ...

I would say that this was a very good season.

2 games over Deluca 500 is not terrible.  The team is good enough to challenge for a playoff spot.

91 points has to be the most points they have had in 10 years.

91 in a year when 92 and 93 got you in is very, very close.

For once in 10 years I am not looking forward to next season with dread.

44 minutes ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

Missed by a point.  I am actually very pleased with the way they played down the stretch and overall.  If any of the goalies and a few less lapses.  If the team as a whole was a hair tighter on D.  If we had one or two playoff tested vets ...

I would say that this was a very good season.

2 games over Deluca 500 is not terrible.  The team is good enough to challenge for a playoff spot.

91 points has to be the most points they have had in 10 years.

91 in a year when 92 and 93 got you in is very, very close.

For once in 10 years I am not looking forward to next season with dread.

Would NS boy Ryan Graves move the needle for you?

IMO that is the guy KA should target as a UFA.

• Like (+1) 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
On 4/2/2023 at 9:24 AM, BearWithME said:

I signed up to say that I've become totally addicted to Sabres hockey. 

I don't know if they will make or miss the postseason tournament, but I've had a damn good time watching them. I've totally fallen in love with the sport, to the extent that I was watching the Penguins/Bruins game yesterday, rooting for the Bruins to win. I don't know much about the sport yet, so (username). 

Today: Go Flyers! Go Blue Jackets! Go Rangers!

I just wanted to say that although the Sabres didn't win enough games to make the playoffs last year, they certainly won me over as a fan.

I can't believe I'm saying it, but I'm (almost) more excited for the hockey season to start than I was for the football season.

I spent the spring watching this team compete their ***** off and almost snag a playoff spot, and it looks to me like if they bring that energy to bear on this season's slate of games, they won't have to worry about wild cards.

Looking forward to learning more about the team, the sport, and the intricacies of the game this year on here--I love that this seems like a pretty supportive community, so here to listen and enjoy.

Here's to a great season, good luck Buf!

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, BearWithME said:

I just wanted to say that although the Sabres didn't win enough games to make the playoffs last year, they certainly won me over as a fan.

I can't believe I'm saying it, but I'm (almost) more excited for the hockey season to start than I was for the football season.

I spent the spring watching this team compete their ***** off and almost snag a playoff spot, and it looks to me like if they bring that energy to bear on this season's slate of games, they won't have to worry about wild cards.

Looking forward to learning more about the team, the sport, and the intricacies of the game this year on here--I love that this seems like a pretty supportive community, so here to listen and enjoy.

Welcome to the board and enjoy the season!

45 minutes ago, BearWithME said:

Welcome !!

There is always room for another Sabre fan.

Looks like your bear ate a diagram of a ... well, you know.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.