Will the Buffalo Sabres make the playoffs?

PASabreFan

1 hour ago, MattPie said:

Aisles are out of reach barring they collapse (and the Sabres don't run the table). Sabres max at 95 pts, Aisles need four wins in 6 games to match that.

Pens and Florida are both ahead, and while the Sabres can catch either of them, it's doubtful they both falter. Really, it's probably more likely that the Sabres run the table than both of those teams fall apart and only grab 50% of the points.

But they must play hard to the end of the season, try to win every game and get every point to the end. 

The drafting slot is not important at this point, there will be a good players to choose from.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

14 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

But they must play hard to the end of the season, try to win every game and get every point to the end. 

The drafting slot is not important at this point, there will be a good players to choose from.  

I agree. There's no giving up right now, winning all or nearly all the games still possibly gets them in. But I won't consider it failure if they don't win every game remaining, that's a really difficult thing to do in any situation. Play hard, make opponents earn wins, and I think we can all be satisfied.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

If we do, could we be the first team to ride a 4-headed monster into the playoffs?  I am just giggling at the idea that we could then win the Cup with 4 guys all with 3-5 wins and teams go back to playoff tandems as a result.  (Recall that was normal before Grant Fuhr unless your team had a Bernie Parent after the league allowed teams to dress 2 goalkeepers for each game.)

• Haha (+1) 1

On 3/1/2023 at 6:12 AM, PASabreFan said:

I do not have the ability to predict future events with certainty. However, I can provide you with some information that might be useful in making your own prediction.

As of my knowledge cutoff date of September 2021, the Buffalo Sabres had just completed a disappointing 2020-2021 NHL season, finishing last in the East Division with a record of 15-34-7. However, teams can change a lot from season to season, and the Sabres may have made some changes to their roster, coaching staff, or management that could improve their chances of making the playoffs in the future.

Ultimately, whether or not the Sabres make the playoffs will depend on a number of factors, including their performance throughout the season, the performance of other teams in their division and conference, injuries, and luck. Only time will tell if the Sabres are able to make the playoffs in the upcoming season.

Luck isn't a real tangible object. It's an emotional expression. I don't believe in luck. For example, was it poor decisions, poor positioning, poor performance that allowed 10, 7, 7 goals against games, or were those teams just Lucky against the Sabres.

With that said, the Sabres will be Lucky to make the playoffs, but I don't believe in luck.....

May the odds forever be in the Sabres favor!

24 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

Luck isn't a real tangible object. It's an emotional expression. I don't believe in luck. For example, was it poor decisions, poor positioning, poor performance that allowed 10, 7, 7 goals against games, or were those teams just Lucky against the Sabres.

With that said, the Sabres will be Lucky to make the playoffs, but I don't believe in luck.....

May the odds forever be in the Sabres favor!

Here's what I think.

Spock (to Dr. McCoy and Cdr Decker): Random chance appears to have operated in our favour. 

Dr. McCoy: In plain, non-Vulcan English, we got lucky.

That is what luck is: the statistical certainty of several heads getting tossed in a row.

Now, as Victor Mollo and Nico Gardiner pointed out in the bridge book Card Play Technique, or the Art of Being Lucky, there are still elements of luck which make it a skill to be acquired.  It also applies to hockey.  Dominik Hasek was the luckiest goaltender ever because he kept putting himself in position where he could make those miraculous saves.

51 minutes ago, Marvin said:

Here's what I think.

Spock (to Dr. McCoy and Cdr Decker): Random chance appears to have operated in our favour. 

Dr. McCoy: In plain, non-Vulcan English, we got lucky.

That is what luck is: the statistical certainty of several heads getting tossed in a row.

Now, as Victor Mollo and Nico Gardiner pointed out in the bridge book Card Play Technique, or the Art of Being Lucky, there are still elements of luck which make it a skill to be acquired.  It also applies to hockey.  Dominik Hasek was the luckiest goaltender ever because he kept putting himself in position where he could make those miraculous saves.

Ah yes, the famous "Nimitz Calculated Risk" strategy. Wherein an individual or group place their assets in the position to succeed given the best information available at the time. Hasek was very good at it. But alas, that's positioning, ad I had mentioned in the OP, not really luck. 😉

3 hours ago, Scottysabres said:

Ah yes, the famous "Nimitz Calculated Risk" strategy. Wherein an individual or group place their assets in the position to succeed given the best information available at the time. Hasek was very good at it. But alas, that's positioning, ad I had mentioned in the OP, not really luck. 😉

I have said that Hasek's positioning and instincts game him more chances to be lucky.  Let's face it: he made a ton of lucky saves -- but no one else was good enough to be in a position to be lucky to make the save.  For others, the goal was on the board; for Hasek, it just might not be.

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

At least we aren’t the NY Jets, who now hold the longest streak of missing the playoffs.  The Sacramento Kings held the record, but just clinched an NBA playoff spot.  The Jets last appeared in the playoffs in 2010.

Sabres last made the playoffs in 2011.

Sabres streak is worse because half the league makes it

• Agree 2

30 minutes ago, BearWIthME said:

I signed up to say that I've become totally addicted to Sabres hockey. 

I don't know if they will make or miss the postseason tournament, but I've had a damn good time watching them. I've totally fallen in love with the sport, to the extent that I was watching the Penguins/Bruins game yesterday, rooting for the Bruins to win. I don't know much about the sport yet, so (username). 

Today: Go Flyers! Go Blue Jackets! Go Rangers!

Welcome to the board!

• Like (+1) 2

45 minutes ago, BearWIthME said:

I signed up to say that I've become totally addicted to Sabres hockey. 

I don't know if they will make or miss the postseason tournament, but I've had a damn good time watching them. I've totally fallen in love with the sport, to the extent that I was watching the Penguins/Bruins game yesterday, rooting for the Bruins to win. I don't know much about the sport yet, so (username). 

Today: Go Flyers! Go Blue Jackets! Go Rangers!

Welcome.   This team is just starting to form.  They are in the early stages of what might be a great run in future years.  A very young and talented group of players.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.