The New, Improved Home Improvement Thread

Doohickie

And just like that, the last three cabinet shells are up.

image.thumb.png.014c602299740e19f31d96da20c0b455.png

Well, not quite all of them. But for this end of the room this is it. Consider this Phase One.

Phase Two is much less involved, but at the other end of the room we're going to get rid of the clunky corner pantry unit and the bookshelf and replace them with new cabinets.

image.thumb.png.0ce789453cb73140cb9008e6c7a86bdd.png

• Awesome! (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Doohickie said:

And just like that, the last three cabinet shells are up.

image.thumb.png.014c602299740e19f31d96da20c0b455.png

Well, not quite all of them. But for this end of the room this is it. Consider this Phase One.

Phase Two is much less involved, but at the other end of the room we're going to get rid of the clunky corner pantry unit and the bookshelf and replace them with new cabinets.

image.thumb.png.0ce789453cb73140cb9008e6c7a86bdd.png

It’s looking good!   Something for your refrigerator… 

D0A5D018-E3C4-4E53-B312-6077B92E082D.thumb.jpeg.71c16569a513a4eb15520b0edefef6fc.jpeg

• Awesome! (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Just like livin' in the dorms during college.

Had our kitchen remodeled two years ago. Due to problems/delays with countertop and appliances, we went without a fully functioning kitchen for over two months.  Also…had a contractor juggling a few different jobs simultaneously.  

That being said, all is good now.

Happy wife, happy life.  😊

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

On 3/29/2023 at 6:21 PM, spndnchz said:

I’ve flipped twice. Going without a kitchen and microwave everyday. Cheers to you and your wife 

When we were in the middle of our remodel in '21 and '22 the kitchen was the last thing "done" (not that anything is done yet). We had what we called the 'refugee kitchen' set up in the one bedroom that had a microwave and a toaster oven. The fridge was plugged in in the living room. I do not miss those days, haha.

7 hours ago, sabills said:

When we were in the middle of our remodel in '21 and '22 the kitchen was the last thing "done" (not that anything is done yet). We had what we called the 'refugee kitchen' set up in the one bedroom that had a microwave and a toaster oven. The fridge was plugged in in the living room. I do not miss those days, haha.

I had microwave, fridge and toaster oven in the dining room. 

kitchen sink was last to go. Gotta wash dishes and fill the coffee pot lol

• Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

5 hours ago, spndnchz said:

?

Why is this on this Buffalo Sabres thread? I do not live in Buffalo. I am originally from Buffalo and one thing I have come to realize, housing in Buffalo is BUSH league. unless you live in other cities this is hard to imagine. Before you all go off . Yes I am a contractor who works for the rich and stupid rich and no those projects don't get built in buffalo. So why are you posting you Ikea kitchen on this site. Go to Reddit

• dislike 1

10 minutes ago, JKB1646 said:

Why is this on this Buffalo Sabres thread? I do not live in Buffalo. I am originally from Buffalo and one thing I have come to realize, housing in Buffalo is BUSH league. unless you live in other cities this is hard to imagine. Before you all go off . Yes I am a contractor who works for the rich and stupid rich and no those projects don't get built in buffalo. So why are you posting you Ikea kitchen on this site. Go to Reddit

LOL the poster is well liked and lives in Texas. This type of work isn’t easy for everyone. 

I suggest you just keep scrolling next time. 

3 minutes ago, Porous Five Hole said:

LOL the poster is well liked and lives in Texas. This type of work isn’t easy for everyone. 

I suggest you just keep scrolling next time. 

There are lots of Building websites for DIY! 

Fine home builders, Journal of Light Const. try any of those and I am sure you wont see a single post about Casey Middelstats lazy back checking. LOL 

• Eyeroll 1

On 3/31/2023 at 4:09 PM, ubkev said:

If I didn't have a stove for more than a day I'd be very unhappy. If I didn't have an oven for longer than a week, I'd move. 

Unless it was summer. I can live on the grill from about May to October. 

This is Texas... you can use the grill year round.

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/1/2023 at 10:02 PM, JKB1646 said:

I think you misunderstand the word "thread."  This is not a Buffalo Sabres thread.  This is a home improvement thread.  Many of us have come to know each other over the years--whether virtually or in person--and it's kind of nice to see what someone is doing with their non-hockey time.  So we have other sports threads, music threads, car threads, rod and gun threads, and the like.  The beauty of the system is that all of them are optional, as is SabreSpace itself.  In other words, if I am not interested in hunting and fishing (and I am not), I don't need to visit the rod and gun thread.  If I'm interested in being jerky, I don't need to visit SabreSpace at all.

6 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

This is Texas... you can use the grill year round.

I am not making sauces on a grill, nor am I baking bread on one.  I need a stove and an oven.  But I get where you're headed.

I might just start a cooking thread to piss a certain someone off.  And also because I like cooking.

Edited by Eleven
  • Like (+1) 4

Didn't get too much done this weekend.  At this point I'm working on the countertops and they are definitely two-man lift (at least for this man).  I built a jig to hold the sink (cast iron- 100+ pounds!) and did a trial fit with my sink good enough to locate the hole and cut it in the countertop.

Before I can install the sink though I need to get the countertops joined and mounted to the cabinets.  The countertops might have to wait until next weekend.

image.thumb.png.99b7788245935ae0505376e8489d2c2b.png

Trial fit of the drain with the old drain parts.  Kind of convoluted but it should work.

image.thumb.png.295000a262ef9f4a30354bdd8f94cb42.png

Hard to make out but the lines for the sink are drawn in preparation for cutting the hole in the countertop.

image.thumb.png.0a2770c9bc5d27704cd6839d6f626a28.png

I wanted to get the countertops done this weekend but didn't get there.  I had to work on some other stuff (mow the lawn... it was getting pretty overgrown, and start my taxes).

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.