The New Bally RSN Thread.

Eleven

11 minutes ago, Weave said:

If it allows in market streaming it will be the first time I am tempted to pay for a service since I cut the cord over 10yrs ago

I pay for one monthly service at a time.  This month it's Hulu/ESPN+ for $10, and believe me, it requires the NHL to be worth $10 (Hulu is crap--it has M*A*S*H, Cheers, and little else).  Next month it will be Apple+ if the new Ted Lasso is out.

I probably would pay $300/yr for MSG, but that is kind of a lot.  There would have to be absolutely no blackouts--not for ESPN+, not for TNT, etc., and I doubt they're going to pull that off.

34 minutes ago, Eleven said:

I pay for one monthly service at a time.  This month it's Hulu/ESPN+ for $10, and believe me, it requires the NHL to be worth $10 (Hulu is crap--it has M*A*S*H, Cheers, and little else).  Next month it will be Apple+ if the new Ted Lasso is out.

I probably would pay $300/yr for MSG, but that is kind of a lot.  There would have to be absolutely no blackouts--not for ESPN+, not for TNT, etc., and I doubt they're going to pull that off.

I might tolerate ESPN+ and TNT blackouts, but I’m doin month to month on a subscription.  MSG is useless to me outisde of the Sabres.

And frankly, if this team were to go backwards, I want an eject button on the subscription.

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, Eleven said:

I doubt the pull it off too. And I can't image that many people are going to pay $309 for it either. Times change, but NHL Gamecenter/CI was like $150/season for all the teams, and MSG wants twice that for just a handful of teams?

15 minutes ago, Weave said:

I might tolerate ESPN+ and TNT blackouts, but I’m doin month to month on a subscription.  MSG is useless to me outisde of the Sabres.

And frankly, if this team were to go backwards, I want an eject button on the subscription.

VERY good point.

13 minutes ago, MattPie said:

I doubt the pull it off too. And I can't image that many people are going to pay $309 for it either. Times change, but NHL Gamecenter/CI was like $150/season for all the teams, and MSG wants twice that for just a handful of teams?

Another good point.  For NYCers who want to watch the Knicks and whatever else MSG covers, it might make sense, but Weave's got that down above.

1 hour ago, MattPie said:

I would think the higher amount is being charged for people who live in markets where the games are blacked out on ESPN Plus and NHL Center Ice. If they remain blacked out forget it. 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Eleven said:

MLB is going to take over about 14 RSN channels that Bally can't handle:  https://nypost.com/2023/03/12/mlb-to-stream-games-for-free-amid-looming-diamond-sports-bankruptcy-sources/

From the article:

Locally, MSG Networks, which doesn’t broadcast MLB games, has seen its earnings decline and has a roughly $900 million debt payment in October 2024. If it cannot refinance its loans it too will very likely go bankrupt, sources said.

That doesn't sound good.

8 hours ago, Two or less said:

From the article:

Locally, MSG Networks, which doesn’t broadcast MLB games, has seen its earnings decline and has a roughly $900 million debt payment in October 2024. If it cannot refinance its loans it too will very likely go bankrupt, sources said.

That doesn't sound good.

No, it doesn't. I wonder if this is the start of lower-viewership cable networks dying off. I wonder how much of MSG's costs are actual game production vs. other stuff like licensing other content and random shows. I don't think enough people will pay the ~$300/yr for MSG Plus as a standalone product to keep the the game streaming afloat, but if that cost came down a bunch (maybe through another streaming platform) they might be able to make something work.

5 hours ago, MattPie said:

No, it doesn't. I wonder if this is the start of lower-viewership cable networks dying off. I wonder how much of MSG's costs are actual game production vs. other stuff like licensing other content and random shows. I don't think enough people will pay the ~$300/yr for MSG Plus as a standalone product to keep the the game streaming afloat, but if that cost came down a bunch (maybe through another streaming platform) they might be able to make something work.

There's nothing watchable on MSG other than live sports, IMO.  (I can get my dose of Marty Biron much more easily over radio.)  And I don't watch any of the sports MSG carries other than hockey.  So yeah, I don't have a lot of use for it outside of the $210 during the NHL season.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Taro T said:

And according to that article the Sabres are owed a grand total of $30,100.  Pretty sure they can work something out there.  😉

Yeah weird, at the top they claim Sabres are among the biggest owned along with Arizona Diamondbacks who are owned $30 million, but then it shows $30k for the Sabres.

2 minutes ago, Two or less said:

Yeah weird, at the top they claim Sabres are among the biggest owned along with Arizona Diamondbacks who are owned $30 million, but then it shows $30k for the Sabres.

Well, that list is the biggest creditors owed by Diamond Sinclair.  They probably included the Sabres because they're the only sports team besides the Diamondbacks on the list.

(Included in the teaser, that is.)

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Well, that list is the biggest creditors owed by Diamond Sinclair.  They probably included the Sabres because they're the only sports team besides the Diamondbacks on the list.

(Included in the teaser, that is.)

It's just garbage journalism.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.