The best coach in the NHL?

dudacek

19 minutes ago, Taro T said:

The thing that's tough to evaluate is, the team has generally improved its defensive play as the season has gone on though that improvement has come in fits & starts.  The wings have played better along rhe boards after we got out of October/ early November.  The D has, in 2023 on occasion boxed people out.  It pretty much didn't do that in 2022 this season.  But, the 2nd goal scored by the Ducks, the Sabres most physical defender didn't do anything to remove the screen from in front of Comrie.

We don't get to see them work in practice, nor are we in the meeting rooms when the concepts & game plans are discussed and reinforced.  So, though we see what they're doing we don't know what they were supposed to be doing.

We also still don't see Granato match lines much.  Will he when we're beyond development as a co-goal?  (Development is no longer the only goal.)  Hope he will, but until he does, we're just guessing.

The other thing that makes it tough to evaluate is the goaltending still leaves much to be desired.  How much better will the D seem when we get to watch a quality NHL starter?

The thing that is troubling is, the PP us a serious 1 trick pony and teams have figured that trick out.  Can he & his coaches get the PP clicking again?

Am cautiously optimistic that Granato is the real deal.  At a minimum, he IS an NHL caliber HC and will likely find another HCing job when the time eventually comes for him to move on.  That hasn't been the case since Ruff left.  And that in itself is reason for optimism.

Not saying this won't happen, but it has become clear to me that Donnie (in conjunction with Kevyn) aspires to ice a team that other teams adjust their game plans and their lines for, rather than their other way around.

His underlying philosophy seems to be that if you are playing at full speed mistakes are inevitable on both sides, and the more skilled team will make less and take advantage of more and his team is designed and coached to be the more skilled.

His underlying structure seems to be a swarm/pack mentality in all three zones: surround the puck with layers so there is always a back-up. Hitting seems to be dismissed as a tactic as something prone to slowing players down in transition and taking them out of position

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1

The fact that these two players said it carries significant weight in my mind.  They are both young, but have been around different teams and coaches.

I really do think that they are on to something here.

Regardless of playoffs or not I really think that DG is a finalist for the Adams.  I believe he has a good chance to win it.

2 hours ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

The fact that these two players said it carries significant weight in my mind.  They are both young, but have been around different teams and coaches.

Regardless of playoffs or not I really think that DG is a finalist for the Adams.  I believe he has a good chance to win it.

It’s a two man race between Montgomery and Ruff.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

11 hours ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

Exactly why should he be a finalist then ? 

Edited by Buffalonill

Donnie is doing a tremendous job with this young club helping them develop and mature.  This is a huge plus.  

If I had one guy to shepherd a young team he’d be at the top of my list.  

As a game day coach, I have no idea.  The offense has been better since day one behind the bench, but his offense often leaves the D and goalies exposed.  Kind of the opposite of Barry Trotz.

The question I don’t know is whether the defense problem part of the system is a roster issue or a personnel issue, a system/coaching issue or both. 

Giving DG the benefit of the doubt, I’m siding with mostly a personnel issue in goal and the bottom half of the D group.  Also on a forward group that isn’t great at back checking.

Still until we are a consistent playoff team, DG will not be considered an upper echelon coach.

It’s maybe unfair, but looking at Lindy Ruff.  Last season he was on the hot seat, but an improved roster he is back in the Jack Adams consideration. 

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Donnie is doing a tremendous job with this young club helping them develop and mature.  This is a huge plus.  

If I had one guy to shepherd a young team he’d be at the top of my list.  

As a game day coach, I have no idea.  The offense has been better since day one behind the bench, but his offense often leaves the D and goalies exposed.  Kind of the opposite of Barry Trotz.

The question I don’t know is whether the defense problem part of the system is a roster issue or a personnel issue, a system/coaching issue or both. 

Giving DG the benefit of the doubt, I’m siding with mostly a personnel issue in goal and the bottom half of the D group.  Also on a forward group that isn’t great at back checking.

Still until we are a consistent playoff team, DG will not be considered an upper echelon coach.

It’s maybe unfair, but looking at Lindy Ruff.  Last season he was on the hot seat, but an improved roster he is back in the Jack Adams consideration. 

I still think a certain assistant coach he has formally of the Florida Panthers is the real mind behind the improvement. 

16 hours ago, Marvin said:

I still maintain that the best strategic and tactical coach in the NHL is Lindy Ruff.

Except when you go down 4 defenseman in game 7...

But his run of winning opening round road playoff game was pretty remarkable.

16 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I still think a certain assistant coach he has formally of the Florida Panthers is the real mind behind the improvement. 

Him?

gary busey crazy person GIF

Or him?

crazy man GIF

11 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I know a lot has fallen in right for Montgomery... but its a very similar roster to last year.  And they are absolutely rocking the league right now.  

Among the league leaders in goals scored, miles ahead on goals allowed.  On a ridiculous points pace.  And its his first year - if he doesn't win it, when should he?

21 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Burnette?  Possibly.  He has Chris Taylor as well who I like as well.  However I think maturing young players on offense coupled with smart acquisitions on defense making coaching much easier for everyone. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Could be.  But having good assistants is part of being a great head coach.

Ruff openly talked about how much he appreciated getting to coach at the ASG & as part of Team Canada's crew because it was a great opportunity to talk to other top coaches and pick their brains.

14 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Montgomery will win it because the league loves a redemption story (and he's done a great job). 

I still think the best coach in the NHL is currently not coaching in the NHL and that's Barry Trotz. I really hope the Leafs, after they bow out early again, do not hire him for next year, as he might actually be able to get them their cup and that would be just about the most annoying thing that could happen in hockey. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.