Buffalo Bills 2023 Thread

Brawndo

46 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Don't have a link to it, but heard the NFL WILL start flexing Thursday night games this season.  Can only happen twice in 1 season & there needs to be at least 28 day's notice.  But once again the league proves it doesn't care a rat's bippy for the fans that actually show up in the overly lavish mausoleums the owners build as tributes to themselves on the tax payers' dime.

Proof that the Commish and owners  see the players as cattle and little else. They care about their health...right.

Ticket holding fans are secondary.  Disgraceful.  

4 hours ago, Night Train said:

Proof that the Commish and owners  see the players as cattle and little else. They care about their health...right.

Ticket holding fans are secondary.  Disgraceful.  

Eh…expected.  Billionaires are generally slimy, T-Pegs probably isn’t a saint either. 

26 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Anyone care to explain the Ed Oliver extension?

No DTs under contract for 2024

Will have him as the ~16th highest paid DT for now, and that number will incraese, so it's not completely unreasonable

They like to lock up their own

When he plays next to a good 1-tech he's a very good player, and Jones is a good 1-tech

That being said, I hate it

Edited by Randall Flagg
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

We'll see on Oliver but I'd rather give a young guy $ than these OBJ/Hopkins types. Giving an older guy with some gas left as a pass rusher like Justin Houston or Frank Clark makes FAR more sense than another WR. Hopkins missed half his games in Arizona due to injury and suspensions. Hated to practice. Thought he didn't need it. Screw those Diva types. "  But,but...I've HEARD of him ! "   

Edited by Night Train

17 minutes ago, Night Train said:

Giving an older guy with some gas left as a pass rusher like Justin Houston or Frank Clark makes FAR more sense than another WR. Hopkins missed half his games in Arizona due to injury and suspensions. Hated to practice. Thought he didn't need it. Screw those Diva types. "  But,but...I've HEARD of him ! "   

I like the take on how it’d be better to throw money at an older edge rusher.

I was unaware of attitude issues in Arizona. The Bills desperately need another wideout to complement Diggs. If Hopkins still had some juice, it’d be a fit.

That said, it sounds like he wants a lot of guaranteed money *and* significant term. I’d probably let another team sign him, if that’s what the market bears. (That said: The market’s been soft so far.)

21 minutes ago, Night Train said:

We'll see on Oliver but I'd rather give a young guy $ than these OBJ/Hopkins types. Giving an older guy with some gas left as a pass rusher like Justin Houston or Frank Clark makes FAR more sense than another WR. Hopkins missed half his games in Arizona due to injury and suspensions. Hated to practice. Thought he didn't need it. Screw those Diva types. "  But,but...I've HEARD of him ! "   

And just like that, The Bills sign pass rusher Leonard Floyd who produced for the Rams. That's where you spend the $

• Awesome! (+1) 1

The 30-year-old Floyd has spent the past three seasons with the Los Angeles Rams. He is coming off a nine-sack season in 2022. A 6-foot-5, 240-pounder, Floyd is a former first-round draft pick of the Chicago Bears in 2016. He spent the first four years of his NFL career in Chicago, finishing with 154 tackles and 18.5 sacks in 54 games.

His production has shot up over the past three years in Los Angeles. Floyd had 184 tackles and 29 sacks with the Rams in 50 games.

Floyd potentially gives the Bills' pass rush a big boost, particularly while his former teammate with the Rams, Von Miller, remains out as he rehabs following knee surgery. Floyd will compete with Greg Rousseau, A.J. Epenesa, Boogie Basham and Shaq Lawson for time on the edge.

Just now, inkman said:

NFL salary cap doesn’t exist 

There was an annoying string of tweets going around saying "Breaking: Bills almost certainly unlikely to land Hopkins"

They were popular enough and from sources trusted enough that it basically shaped the discourse into moving on every Bills fan. Maybe from an Athletic writer

i think they are ultimately correct. But the reasoning was completely absurd. I assumed it meant he had a source that told him so. But the only thing the tweets/articles said was, "Hopkins wants 15 mil per year and the Bills have less than 2 mil in cap space. It's over."

Crazy how that successfully ran through discourse without getting shot down. One restructure and one void year could trivially give Hopkins exactly that if the Bills wanted to do it lol

On 6/4/2023 at 7:29 PM, Randall Flagg said:

Will have him as the ~16th highest paid DT for now, and that number will incraese, so it's not completely unreasonable

When he plays next to a good 1-tech he's a very good player, and Jones is a good 1-tech

With him getting to line up next to a true 1 Technique DT pretty much all the time between Jones and Ford, them having a legit outside pass rusher (hopefully) all season between Floyd and Miller (with perhaps Rousseau stepping up too) and ALSO playing a more aggressive D than Frasier ran am expecting him to have a big year.

Don't forget, he played with a high ankle sprain almost all of last season.  He was looking very good prior to the injury.

Am really looking forward to seeing McDermott call a more aggressive defense.  They have Josh Allen on the other side of the ball; play aggressive and get the ball in his hands.  If you get them to go 3 & out or 5 & out, he gets a short field.  If you gave up a big play, well, you have Josh Allen and he can get those points back.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thanks (+1) 1

On 6/4/2023 at 7:29 PM, Randall Flagg said:

22 hours ago, Buffalonill said:

That was pretty dumb by you guys lol

He'll end up being cheap at the end of that contract.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, SwampD said:

He'll end up being cheap at the end of that contract.

Even if this is true, for a team operating on the slimmest of cap margins I hate giving that amount of money to the DT position which I do not consider premium unless you have a game-wrecker there. 

2 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Even if this is true, for a team operating on the slimmest of cap margins I hate giving that amount of money to the DT position which I do not consider premium unless you have a game-wrecker there. 

I disagree,…

but I'm old,…

which means I still believe that the game is won and lost on the lines.

• Like (+1) 3

I won’t sit here and pretend to know anything about NFL salary caps or contracts. 

All I know is that I read articles a few days ago saying that the Bills had no cap room for Hopkins. Then, I read that they signed some new LB and gave Oliver a raise and extension. 

Color me confused. 

6 minutes ago, SwampD said:

I disagree,…

but I'm old,…

which means I still believe that the game is won and lost on the lines.

That's still true. My tiers would go something like: 

1.) QB

2.) DE, T, WR, CB
3a.) IOL, DT
3b.) S, LB, TE
4.) RB
5.) K, P 

I am nervous about large extensions for positions not in tiers 1 or 2 given the state of the Bills' cap 

17 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

That's still true. My tiers would go something like: 

1.) QB

2.) DE, T, WR, CB
3a.) IOL, DT
3b.) S, LB, TE
4.) RB
5.) K, P 

I am nervous about large extensions for positions not in tiers 1 or 2 given the state of the Bills' cap 

The "Cap" in the NFL is ridiculously maleable.  It is nowhere close to as hard a cap at the NHL's salary cap.  

It will eventually catch up to teams in theory, but having a stud QB on a "reasonable" deal seems to keep it from ever catching up to those teams while that QB is there.  The Bills are one of those teams.

As long as the cap keeps going up, and it seems it will continue to do so, teams will be able to absorb the dead money at the very end of a guy's deal.  And as long as the team can do it, there is no harm.  Back when the Bills were a "cash to cap" team, the others were spending way more every season than Buffalo was spending.  Now, Buffalo has actually joined the rest of the league.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Taro T said:

The "Cap" in the NFL is ridiculously maleable.  It is nowhere close to as hard a cap at the NHL's salary cap.  

It will eventually catch up to teams in theory, but having a stud QB on a "reasonable" deal seems to keep it from ever catching up to those teams while that QB is there.  The Bills are one of those teams.

As long as the cap keeps going up, and it seems it will continue to do so, teams will be able to absorb the dead money at the very end of a guy's deal.  And as long as the team can do it, there is no harm.  Back when the Bills were a "cash to cap" team, the others were spending way more every season than Buffalo was spending.  Now, Buffalo has actually joined the rest of the league.

My main problem is that I could see scenarios where having, say, Oliver and Davis locked up (and Knox maybe) could stop us from an AJ Brown or Stefon Diggs type trade in the future that would otherwise be available (ie having a few of good-but-not-great guys on market-value big contracts, particularly at less-important positions, stopping us from adding elite talent in position tier 2) 

49 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

My main problem is that I could see scenarios where having, say, Oliver and Davis locked up (and Knox maybe) could stop us from an AJ Brown or Stefon Diggs type trade in the future that would otherwise be available (ie having a few of good-but-not-great guys on market-value big contracts, particularly at less-important positions, stopping us from adding elite talent in position tier 2) 

Thing is, though the Bills "only have $2 MM in cap space" there are still probably 6 contracts that could get reworked today to free up at least $15 MM right now IF the right player were sitting there ready to get picked up.  And they'll be able to open up literally 4 times that if necessary in any future year where the rosters aren't close to being set yet.

And, don't have a problem with having 1 DT under team control for 5 more years (this year and the following 4 years that the new contract covers) especially when he was a top 10 selection and IIRC only 21 when he was drafted.  Haven't seen the details of Oliver's contract but heard it only averages out to ~$11MM/year which shouldn't cause any problems over the life of it and also expect right now that final year can get punted with no/almost no dead money.  (Again, haven't seen the particulars yet, maybe that take isn't a good one, but that's the expectation.)

Oliver's shown flashes, but Frazier's bend don't break base nickel package asked the line to think contain 1st and then penetrating to the QB.  Expect that McDermott will be letting him actually wreak some havoc when he explodes through the line.  Hoping Jones and Ford can stay healthy, because rotating those 2 big boys in at the 1T will really let Oliver attack.

Edit:  The $11MM/year is the guaranteed amount.  It averages out to $15.7MM/year which will still be cheap by the time the contract is done IMHO.

Edited by Taro T
  • Like (+1) 1