Buffalo Bills 2023 Thread

Brawndo

13 minutes ago, MISabresFan said:

I am worried also.  I hope Josh continues to work hard on his game in the off-season more than his golf.  Both Diggs and Allen need to "patch things up."  If not I would trade Diggs now.  OL needs some help or a better scheme.  Defensively will go thru some growing pains and need some help with the draft.

What exactly do Allen and Diggs need to “patch up”?  All I’ve read is internet sleuths trying to read into Cryptic Diggs tweets.  I don’t know if anyone has realized it but Stefon is a bit out there.  

Exhibit A:

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, MISabresFan said:

I am worried also.  I hope Josh continues to work hard on his game in the off-season more than his golf.  Both Diggs and Allen need to "patch things up."  If not I would trade Diggs now.  OL needs some help or a better scheme.  Defensively will go thru some growing pains and need some help with the draft.

If you trade Diggs this offseason you either take on a dead cap hit somewhere near 37 million dollars this year (traded before some date, maybe 6/1?), or you take on 11 mil dead cap this year and 26 mil dead cap next year (2024 season)

The Bills literally cannot trade Diggs

• Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

If you trade Diggs this offseason you either take on a dead cap hit somewhere near 37 million dollars this year (traded before some date, maybe 6/1?), or you take on 11 mil dead cap this year and 26 mil dead cap next year (2024 season)

The Bills literally cannot trade Diggs

I don't understand this--if they trade him to a new team, and the new team takes on that contract, why are the Bills stuck with a cap hit?  Why doesn't that cap hit just go to the new team?

13 minutes ago, Eleven said:

I don't understand this--if they trade him to a new team, and the new team takes on that contract, why are the Bills stuck with a cap hit?  Why doesn't that cap hit just go to the new team?

Best guess: It's a policy (accounting principle?) designed to discourage teams from paying massive up front bonuses and then offloading a player with manageable cash salary payments after a couple years. Those bonuses have to be amortized over the life of the contract. And if the franchise moves on from the player in year 2 or 3, then they still need to reckon with that amortization. Something like that.

• Agree 1

12 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Best guess: It's a policy (accounting principle?) designed to discourage teams from paying massive up front bonuses and then offloading a player with manageable cash salary payments after a couple years. Those bonuses have to be amortized over the life of the contract. And if the franchise moves on from the player in year 2 or 3, then they still need to reckon with that amortization. Something like that.

They don't just use an AAV like the NHL does and have the hit transfer with the player?

23 minutes ago, Eleven said:

They don't just use an AAV like the NHL does and have the hit transfer with the player?

Nope.  They do it much different that the NHL does and don't follow it nearly as closely.  But stuff like signing bonuses get paid up front and then get charged across the enitre life of the contract, provided the player plays out the full contract for that team he signed with.  If he gets cut, traded, or retired then any monies he's already been paid that didn't count against the cap have to go against the cap to get the team back to being charged for actual monies it is out.  Thus the term "dead cap."  Which is cap space the team can't use in the current season because it already paid that money out previously.

And what players count against the cap vary year by year with the annual charge being a proration of bonuses over the life of the contract plus the annual salary the player gets in that year.  And because cap hits can vary year to year is why contracts can be renegiated before they expire.  (Realize that this likely misses many fine points of NFL contracts, but it gives the jist of how they work.)

NHL contracts work much differently.  Though actual salary in any given year can vary, the cap hit is the total value to be earned over the life of the contract divided by the length of the contract.  Except in rare cases, performance bonuses aren't allowed and things such as signing bonuses only effect the timing of when the player gets paid in that particular season with the bonus but does not affect his salary for other seasons covered by the contract.  And because contracts hit the cap as AAV and not more complexly is why contracts can't be renegotiated during the deal.  It would make the cap way too complex to implement without going to the essentially fictional cap that the NFL has.  (Teams there can effectively exceed the cap for years before finally biting the bullet and absorbing huge dead cap hits for 1-2 years, sinking to the bottom of the league just once and then getting their stud QB of the future and doing it all over again.)

• Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Taro T said:

Nope.  They do it much different that the NHL does and don't follow it nearly as closely.  But stuff like signing bonuses get paid up front and then get charged across the enitre life of the contract, provided the player plays out the full contract for that team he signed with.  If he gets cut, traded, or retired then any monies he's already been paid that didn't count against the cap have to go against the cap to get the team back to being charged for actual monies it is out.  Thus the term "dead cap."  Which is cap space the team can't use in the current season because it already paid that money out previously.

And what players count against the cap vary year by year with the annual charge being a proration of bonuses over the life of the contract plus the annual salary the player gets in that year.  And because cap hits can vary year to year is why contracts can be renegiated before they expire.  (Realize that this likely misses many fine points of NFL contracts, but it gives the jist of how they work.)

NHL contracts work much differently.  Though actual salary in any given year can vary, the cap hit is the total value to be earned over the life of the contract divided by the length of the contract.  Except in rare cases, performance bonuses aren't allowed and things such as signing bonuses only effect the timing of when the player gets paid in that particular season with the bonus but does not affect his salary for other seasons covered by the contract.  And because contracts hit the cap as AAV and not more complexly is why contracts can't be renegotiated during the deal.  It would make the cap way too complex to implement without going to the essentially fictional cap that the NFL has.  (Teams there can effectively exceed the cap for years before finally biting the bullet and absorbing huge dead cap hits for 1-2 years, sinking to the bottom of the league just once and then getting their stud QB of the future and doing it all over again.)

The NHL way makes much more sense.

• Agree 1

41 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

Hopefully  It smoke screens for  Y'all Bijan Robinson is good but  Spending a first round on a running back is just a waste only a few are worth it AKA Derek Henry

As you implied, it depends entirely on the RB and Robinson is a legit top 4 player in this draft. So relax, he won’t be there when the Bills select. But if by some miracle he is, I would have no problem with the Bills taking him. 

Playmaker is always a position of need.

Edited by K-9
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, K-9 said:

As you implied, it depends entirely on the RB and Robinson is a legit top 4 player in this draft. So relax, he won’t be there when the Bills select. But if by some miracle he is, I would have no problem with the Bills taking him. 

Playmaker is always a position of need.

You guys drafted cook already lol.

2 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

You guys drafted cook already lol.

Cook is not the transcendent, dynamic player that Robinson is. Not even close. But again, he won’t be there when we pick so it’s a moot point.

On 3/9/2023 at 7:00 PM, shrader said:

Essentially the NFL cap barely exists and can be manipulated at will. 

Reports are the Bills have already restructured Allen and Miller, freeing up $35m which gets them something like $17m under the cap now. Rumors are Dawkins, White, and Diggs will restructure as well, freeing up even more cap room. The Bills can be a player in free agency, once again proving the NFL cap is indeed a mirage. 

On 3/8/2023 at 6:02 PM, CallawaySabres said:

Just convince me 13 seconds won’t be the only chance these idiot coaches will ever have at winning us a Super Bowl…because I truly believe that was it.

Whoa.

You've been around long enough to have seen quite a few Bills coaches that fit this description.  McD ain't one of them.  Not even close.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, nfreeman said:

You've been around long enough to have seen quite a few Bills coaches that fit this description.  McD ain't one of them.  Not even close.

Are McD and staff idiots? No.

Are McD and staff capable of winning big games? (Probably) No.

Decent signing and an upgrade for the OL. Can play both guard spots and pitch in at center, too. Saw a lot of playing time in Dallas filling in for various injured players and one of the best OLs in the game never missed a beat. Best suited for RG, but was never gonna unseat Zach Martin. Not a star, but a solid player.

• Thanks (+1) 1