GDT Sabres at Kings, Feb. 13, 2023, 10:30 pm, MSG, WGR

Eleven

Goodnight all… Disappointing effort and outcome… Will listen to Granato pedantically explain why we lost tomorrow…. First thing he should do is apologize on behalf of the Coaches and Players… 

• Like (+1) 3

9 minutes ago, SabresBillsFan said:

The last three games were just awful and uncalled for. To be honest with you I think a lot of good teams have figured out how to beat the Sabres. 

“How to beat the Sabres” hasn’t really ever been a secret haha we’ve basically at best approached being an 8th seed 

but our top guys feeling the grind of being keyed on over 82 games is a learning experience and as always why pace games are difficult 

it tests our depth. Which is much improved but evidently maybe not quite “there” yet

next year hopefully we have, for example, 2nd line wings who can pick up the slack on a day like today. Could even happen down the stretch this year, yet 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

That was dreadful. People will hate this, but during the second period I felt this was just like watching Kreuger hockey. Balanced lines (in theory) for a feeble attempt at defensive responsibility that fails miserably and simply results in hampering the offense and nothing more. So in a sense part of this is on Granato for the failed line juggling. Putting the lines back together at the end gave back the offensive push, but don't be fooled, Kings were coasting in the 3rd. 

It's time to send Anderson to the farm to go play with Old Yeller. He was rubbish. I hated watching this one. 

11 minutes ago, SabresBillsFan said:

The last three games were just awful and uncalled for. To be honest with you I think a lot of good teams have figured out how to beat the Sabres. 

Oh ya, that's easy. Attack Dahlin on the PP and take away Tage and all you have is Cozens with the puck for the whole time and little options for him to do with it. In the game as a whole, just clog up the middle of the ice and force the play to the wall where the Sabres will not play. This team doesn't adapt. 

• Like (+1) 5

2 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

That was dreadful. People will hate this, but during the second period I felt this was just like watching Kreuger hockey. Balanced lines (in theory) for a feeble attempt at defensive responsibility that fails miserably and simply results in hampering the offense and nothing more. So in a sense part of this is on Granato for the failed line juggling. Putting the lines back together at the end gave back the offensive push, but don't be fooled, Kings were coasting in the 3rd. 

It's time to send Anderson to the farm to go play with Old Yeller. He was rubbish. I hated watching this one. 

Oh ya, that's easy. Attack Dahlin on the PP and take away Tage and all you have is Cozens with the puck for the whole time and little options for him to do with it. In the game as a whole, just clog up the middle of the ice and force the play to the wall where the Sabres will not play. This team doesn't adapt. 

Old Yeller wasn’t sent to the farm cause he was old. He had rabies 

5 hours ago, Thorny said:

“How to beat the Sabres” hasn’t really ever been a secret haha we’ve basically at best approached being an 8th seed 

but our top guys feeling the grind of being keyed on over 82 games is a learning experience and as always why pace games are difficult 

it tests our depth. Which is much improved but evidently maybe not quite “there” yet

next year hopefully we have, for example, 2nd line wings who can pick up the slack on a day like today. Could even happen down the stretch this year, yet 

Yup. All of this. 

Can I get a Comrie start now?

5 hours ago, Claude Balls said:

Can't believe I stayed up for that horse 💩

I lay down on the couch, turned it to MSG and let my eyes slowly close.  Woke up during the post-game show, saw the score and went to bed.  I was well rested in the morning, so I've got that going for me ...

• Awesome! (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Thorny said:

I was thinking about this watching the fist half of the game last night.  Good teams have leaders that will put the team on their shoulders and push through.  We have young leaders like Cozens, Dahlin and Tuch but they don’t seem like they are ready for that role (Tuch probably should be for all the “future captain” talk in the off-season).  Our current leaders, Girgs and Okposo, aren’t capable of carrying the team through tough stretches because of dwindling talent (Okposo) or not enough skill (Zemgus).  Until the aforementioned young leaders achieve the status where they can will their team to win, this team is going to struggle.  All teams have tough stretches.  Good ones have leaders that keep it together.  The Sabres aren’t there yet. 

4 minutes ago, NJhopelessSabresfan66 said:

So glad i did not stay up for that disaster...we are currently in our 5 game losing streak down phase. Couple more games they will start their 9 wins in 11 phase before their next 5 game losing streak.... This team is not close to ready. Hope this is a good draft!

The help they need isn’t coming from the draft (sans Bedard).  They will need to figure it out or bring in some more talent.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

21 minutes ago, inkman said:

I was thinking about this watching the fist half of the game last night.  Good teams have leaders that will put the team on their shoulders and push through.  We have young leaders like Cozens, Dahlin and Tuch but they don’t seem like they are ready for that role (Tuch probably should be for all the “future captain” talk in the off-season).  Our current leaders, Girgs and Okposo, aren’t capable of carrying the team through tough stretches because of dwindling talent (Okposo) or not enough skill (Zemgus).  Until the aforementioned young leaders achieve the status where they can will their team to win, this team is going to struggle.  All teams have tough stretches.  Good ones have leaders that keep it together.  The Sabres aren’t there yet. 

The help they need isn’t coming from the draft (sans Bedard).  They will need to figure it out or bring in some more talent.  

I dont agree. Or at least I dont understand what you mean by keep it together. In the past the team literally came apart at the seems. There was no comradery or acknowledgement of issues and it all just bubbled under the surface until they scattered after locker clean out. This team is sticking together and they are trying to figure it out but you are right they are young. The leader of this team is Okposo and Dahlin. Idk what you mean by carry the team through rough stretches but I think the second half of last night showed this team finally kicked back on after what was 3 total dumpster fire games. Now if they don't beat Anaheim I might be more inclined to agree with what I think you are saying but I think this team has good leaders who are pushing through. 

• Like (+1) 1

I came from beer league to watch second period.. disastrous... went to bed after checked the score this am... power play a nightmare... put Ollie back on no 1 pp...

PS Beer league team won 6-1.  Had a goal and 2 primary helpers.  Their team played D like the Sabres... and our passing was on. 

Ps they had 12 guys we had 7... legs are jello this morning.

Edited by North Buffalo
  • Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, inkman said:

They've achieved status and ridiculous millions without proving they can do what your rightly identify as the most important thing. The 85% thread is rattling around my head. The best players modulate their energy to step up at the right moment. Now through June. Our best guys probably spent their 100% to achieve their personal goal of that first huge contract in the NHL. What now? Unless they're extraordinary competitors, the future is still fraught with doubt. Who are these guys, really? There's no reason they should spitting out the bit now. Alas, checks are being marked off. Process. Improvement. Playing time. Contracts.

It's still not about winning.

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.