The Jeff Skinner Contract - Revisited

LGR4GM

On 2/19/2023 at 3:02 PM, Quint said:

Some brain-damaged fun with Jeff.

Love it… Both wearing white socks… Pure Buffalo!!… Still wear ‘em myself in Sarasota😎Hahaha

• 1 month later...
10 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Jeff Skinner finishes the season with the following:

35g, 3rd on the team

47a, t-2nd

82pts, 2nd on the team

He played 79 games this season. 

Contract not looking so bad anymore.  How much do I loath RK. Let me count the ways. 

According to the Athletic’s player cards, Skinner market value is now $10 mill.  
https://theathletic.com/3989459/2023/01/30/nhl-player-cards-buffalo-sabres-2/

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Carmel Corn said:

4 more seasons to go.....can he continue to be durable and productive?  Hopefully so.....he still seems fairly "youthful" out there!

With Skinner’s skating he is not going to fall off a cliff. He rarely misses anytime. As long as he is playing with top players I think Skinner will be productive through the remainder of his deal.

• Agree 3

49 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Agree, but you have to admit Mitts did a pretty good job filling in.

He did. But, now it’s time for him to go form his own line. Be his own man and see if he can be the centerpiece of a line that wasn’t already a top NHL scoring line. 

I don’t think Skinner’s career year has gotten the attention it deserves.

His +/- led the team and his 47 assists are tied for the 3rd most by a Sabre in the pAst decade. And those numbers aren’t mirages, he made plays and paid attention to defence like I never thought he could.

You can’t really call him the most improved player, but for me he was the most surprising.

Ive never been a fan of his game prior to this year, but the way he’s filled out the missing pieces and eliminated the selfishness is truly remarkable, especially at the point of his career.

This season he was truly a top-10 left wing.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, dudacek said:

I don’t think Skinner’s career year has gotten the attention it deserves.

His +/- led the team and his 47 assists are tied for the 3rd most by a Sabre in the pAst decade. And those numbers aren’t mirages, he made plays and paid attention to defence like I never thought he could.

You can’t really call him the most improved player, but for me he was the most surprising.

Ive never been a fan of his game prior to this year, but the way he’s filled out the missing pieces and eliminated the selfishness is truly remarkable, especially at the point of his career.

This season he was truly a top-10 left wing.

Don't forget his contributions Between 2 Stalls. 

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

On 4/15/2023 at 8:07 AM, GASabresIUFAN said:

Contract not looking so bad anymore.  How much do I loath RK. Let me count the ways. 

According to the Athletic’s player cards, Skinner market value is now $10 mill.  
https://theathletic.com/3989459/2023/01/30/nhl-player-cards-buffalo-sabres-2/

Krueger took a $9M player and turned him into a less than $1M player. From a cap/value standpoint, he turned a rich estate into a ghetto property. It was insanity running amuck. How much more damaged could he have wrought on this franchise if he was still the coach for another year? 

It didn't take the new GM too long to right the ship of this sinking franchise. Getting rid of Krueger and then installing DG as the interim coach, and then extending him as the full-time coach was the jolt that changed the course of this flailing franchise. There is a saying that applies to Krueger: Addition by subtraction. 

33 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Krueger took a $9M player and turned him into a less than $1M player. From a cap/value standpoint, he turned a rich estate into a ghetto property. It was insanity running amuck. How much more damaged could he have wrought on this franchise if he was still the coach for another year? 

It didn't take the new GM too long to right the ship of this sinking franchise. Getting rid of Krueger and then installing DG as the interim coach, and then extending him as the full-time coach was the jolt that changed the course of this flailing franchise. There is a saying that applies to Krueger: Addition by subtraction. 

Kinda wish Ralphie would come back and give us an Eichelesque postgame quip. I guess we have to have our boogie men and scapegoats. The franchise has taken half a baby step toward return to the NHL ranks and it's time to throw it in the faces of past coaches and execs.

When everyone knows who the real boogie man was.

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Kinda wish Ralphie would come back and give us an Eichelesque postgame quip. I guess we have to have our boogie men and scapegoats. The franchise has taken half a baby step toward return to the NHL ranks and it's time to throw it in the faces of past coaches and execs.

Nothing is stopping you from singing RK’s praises, so feel free to trumpet his greatness. But be careful, there might be a Pegula hiding under your bed. 

• Haha (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Krueger was an unmitigated disaster. His record speaks for itself. What boogie man are you chasing? 

1 minute ago, K-9 said:

Nothing is stopping you from singing RK’s praises, so feel free to trumpet his greatness. But be careful, there might be a Pegula hiding under your bed. 

With certain posters you come to realize that you are living on two different planets and realities. These disparate realities can never coexist. I'm sure I am as odd to them as they are sometimes to me. That's life. 

On 4/15/2023 at 10:02 AM, Flashsabre said:

With Skinner’s skating he is not going to fall off a cliff. He rarely misses anytime. As long as he is playing with top players I think Skinner will be productive through the remainder of his deal.

A lot of fans do not see the skating aspect of Skinner.  He is quite unique in the way he uses his edges, he can changes direction and move laterally far better than most players.  He is solidly built too at 5'11" and 197 lbs, with a very strong lower body which helps him play with leverage.  He could play to 34-35.  

Much better all around player right now than he was when we first got him. 

He turns 31 today, 333 career NHL goals in 13 seasons.   450 career goals, or there about, is possible.  Very odd that he never played on a playoff team but Carolina was a .500 team (or less) when he was there and Buffalo has been out of it for his entire time here.  

Just now, Pimlach said:

A lot of fans do not see the skating aspect of Skinner.  He is quite unique in the way he uses his edges, he can changes direction and move laterally far better than most players.  He is solidly built too at 5'11" and 197 lbs, with a very strong lower body which helps him play with leverage.  He could play to 34-35.  

Much better all around player right now than he was when we first got him. 

He turns 31 today, 333 career NHL goals in 13 seasons.   450 career goals, or there about, is possible.  Very odd that he never played on a playoff team but Carolina was a .500 team (or less) when he was there and Buffalo has been out of it for his entire time here.  

He has the kind of skating that keeps a player relevant well past the careers of most.  As lo g as he doesn’t succumb to lower body injuries I think he’ll be able to play ad long as he is willing to adapt his game. 

• Agree 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.