Home record

pi2000

Poor home record  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Who's to blame for the Sabres poor home record (24th in points% at home, 8th on the road)?

• Poor attendance
    • KBC atmosphere
    • HC Don Granato
    • Young roster
    • Sabretooth
    • Harrington

1 hour ago, pi2000 said:

11-13-2 at home (.462 point%, 24th)

15-7-2 on the road (.667 point%, 8th)

Who's fault is it?   

The choices are limiting. I'd say it's the coaching staff and players.

To myself, poor attendance and arena atmosphere have nothing to do with it. If it had, how does one explain the team play on the road, where attendance and environment is actually hostile to the opponent?

I bet Sabretooth would hold down a .923 save percentage if we decided to suit him up in net.

Harrington was an interesting choice, it allowed my home game anger emotions an outlet, but then my blood pressure returned to normal once I reminded myself Harrington couldn't get a cucumber to pickle, so I felt better knowing what he does to himself with them.......

Edited by Scottysabres
  • Like (+1) 1

I looked at some numbers and they indicate that goaltending has been worse at home than on the road.

CorsiFor%:  4th at home, 18th on the road... they're "outplaying" teams at home, but losing.

Shooting%: 7th at home, 2nd on the road.. shooting well both home and away.

Save%: 24th at home, 12th on the road... bottom 3rd of the league at home.

HighDangerSave%: 25th at home, 12th on the road.

The've given up 15 goals over expected at home (GA 94, xGA 79).... on the road they've given up 8 goals fewer than expected (GA 75, xGA 83).

Looking deeper at each goalie......  at home Comrie has a GAA of 3.76 and xGAA of 2.47... that's over a goal worse than expected.   UPL is only slightly better with a GAA of 3.53 vs xGAA of 2.85.     Anderson's GAA at home is actually better than his xGAA (2.89 vs 3.13).  

On the road, all 3 have better GAA than xGAA.   It's just at home where Comrie and UPL struggle which is costing them games.

• Thanks (+1) 1

3 hours ago, triumph_communes said:

The coach can fix it by mandating certain routines to overcome any youthful immaturity. But he isn’t. 

OK, name the routines that will overcome youthful immaturity.   What exactly can he do.  Better pep talks?  Make them put their phones away 3 hours before game time?  no video games in the locker room?   what are these routines?  

Some of the discrepancy between Home/Away is probably just randomness/luck. I know the opponent difficulty is pretty close between the 2 but I’d love to know the numbers re: backup goalies. 

A little bit of it could be that it’s a team full of young guys who play better when there are more people to play better in front of. There’s already a stat that they play better with full crowds, right? They are really good in “event” games. It’s a character team, they seem to feed off the drama. 

They sure looked good in Winnipeg, one of their best games, and the crowd was packed. 

• Like (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

OK, name the routines that will overcome youthful immaturity.   What exactly can he do.  Better pep talks?  Make them put their phones away 3 hours before game time?  no video games in the locker room?   what are these routines?  

show up 4 hours before the game and follow a routine to prepare as a team instead of playing video games and crap up until on ice warm ups 

5 hours ago, SwampD said:

Wings.

5 hours ago, Eleven said:

Red or chicken?

I'm actually changing my answer. There are wings everywhere now (still not as good as in WNY).

It's the pizza. There is nowhere else that has pizza like in Buffalo.

It's the pizza.

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.