Tage Thompson Injury Update

Brawndo

5 minutes ago, inkman said:

I’m confused.  I saw a man rubbing on Tage’s hindquarters last night.  Is the gluteus Maximus considered upper body or was he just getting that done for pleasure?  

Didn't appear it was the butt, more of the lumbar region on the lower back right above that area.  Most likely a muscle strain or back spasms.

• Agree 3

5 minutes ago, inkman said:

I’m confused.  I saw a man rubbing on Tage’s hindquarters last night.  Is the gluteus Maximus considered upper body or was he just getting that done for pleasure?  

Dude, it's ok if you just admit your dreams.  We're all friends here and we don't kink shame.

• Haha (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, inkman said:

There was just some confusion, Tage's Hindquarters are at the upper body level for the rest of the team.

• Haha (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, bunomatic said:

From all the subtle and not so subtle crosschecks players take to that part of the body. 

Right before that he kinda of was bent and hit awkwardly along the boards while fighting for a puck...definitely seemed like something that could have caused that type of issue, especially if he was already dealing with that coming into the game.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, bunomatic said:

From all the subtle and not so subtle crosschecks players take to that part of the body. 

I have had that strain before as a referee and player.  I think it's tendonitis where the glutes attach to the pelvis.  Very painful, but ice and rest helps immensely.  Let's hope he's back to form quickly.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

I'm not a medical expert but I do know that if you get a cross check on the side just around the waistline or bottom of the rib cage it hurts like hell, bruises deep and things can tighten up for weeks in response as it heals. Physio and rest and he will be fine. 

Back in the day I do remember having one win at any cost coach that actually wanted us to take cross checks in that area and towards the kidneys of opposing players. I'm sure some players still do that sort of thing even if it is a different kinder and gentler era. 

• Agree 3

I was disturbed at the sight of Tage getting his lower back worked on during the game... Off and on, I've heard comparisions between Tage and Mario. They are both big guys who dominated on offense. Many big guys have back problems, especially those who get punished physically.        So fyi I looked back at Mario's injury history. It's a cautionary tale that needs to be understood in Tage's situation. I hope the Sabres handle Thompson very carefully if that's what the situation requires.  A lot can go wrong with back problems.

Unfortunately, this is where the injuries begin to rear their ugly head. Lemieux misses 21 games with a herniated disc in his back. The Penguins missed the playoffs. Still, Lemieux finished fourth in league scoring with 123 points. Lemieux had surgery to repair the disc during the 1990 off-season. He developed a rare bone disease resulting from a surgery-related infection and misses 50 games of the 1990-91 season. Lemieux puts up 43 points in 26 games. Lemieux puts up 44 points en-route to winning his first Stanley Cup and Conn Smyth. He punctuated his greatness in the 1991 playoffs with one of the most memorable goals in Cup finals history (Oh baby!).

While he could come and play well, his back was always an issue from this point on. He would lead the league in scoring in 1991-92 with 131 points in 64 games. Again, he led Pittsburgh to a Stanley Cup victory and the Conn Smythe. Lemieux posted 34 points despite missing five games with a broken hand.

In the 1993 off-season, Lemieux would need a second back surgery, this time for a herniated muscle. Lemieux would miss the first 10 games recovering from the surgery and a total of 58 games overall stemming from back issues. Lemieux’s back issues would plague him throughout his career. His back was so bad that he would need a trainer to tie his skates before games because he was unable to bend over due to the pain. He would deal with his back issues and other issues (getting to that) until his (initial) retirement in 1997.

https://lastwordonsports.com/hockey/2019/09/30/nhl-what-if-mario-lemieux-injuries/

Edited by Quint
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Claude Balls said:

Maybe they should give Zdeno Chara a call. Find out how that 10 foot tall goon played well into his 40s with no major injuries throughout his career. He musta  gotten that TB12 treatment while in Boston. 

I’m guessing being built like Adonis helps a wee bit 

392A4BF4-FB9F-40C1-B4CA-AA2BB8A05A3D.jpeg

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.