White Uniforms

WNY Sabres

7 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

Well still makes no sense that the ownership wouldn’t have final say, so I will just move on from this discussion. 

7 hours ago, SwampD said:

I'll check, because I'm not positive, but I think the NHL has final say.

I stand corrected. The team does have final say. It used to be the league.

That’s for the “thirds”. Any time it’s the regular homes and aways it’s a much bigger deal because it’s not just the uniforms. It’s everything. Signs, the scoreboard, anywhere the logo is, cups, programs. Everything.

I still like them.

Edited by SwampD
  • Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, bunomatic said:

It makes the team look like orderlies. Lily white comes to mind or heavenly or angelic all which implies ‘ not so threatening ‘ or ‘ tough ‘. Correct me if I’m wrong but they have a better record in the black goatheads. Perhaps the goatheads gives the guys a psychological lift. Rasmus Dahlin recently said the guys loved playing in the goatheads. Hockey players are a superstitious lot and maybe they feel less capable in the angelic whites ?

Management should pay attention to this.

I can see how they would like them. Especially the younger guys.  First, for the longer term players it's a break from what they've been wearing during the losing years. Puts emphasis on the new era idea (even if it is actually retro). Second, the red black and white with the goat head has a ferocity about it. It kind of implies we won't just duel with you we will run right over you to get to where we want. They're just tougher looking. mean even. 

• Like (+1) 2

10 hours ago, bunomatic said:

It makes the team look like orderlies. Lily white comes to mind or heavenly or angelic all which implies ‘ not so threatening ‘ or ‘ tough ‘. Correct me if I’m wrong but they have a better record in the black goatheads. Perhaps the goatheads gives the guys a psychological lift. Rasmus Dahlin recently said the guys loved playing in the goatheads. Hockey players are a superstitious lot and maybe they feel less capable in the angelic whites ?

17 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Management should pay attention to this.

I can see how they would like them. Especially the younger guys.  First, for the longer term players it's a break from what they've been wearing during the losing years. Puts emphasis on the new era idea (even if it is actually retro). Second, the red black and white with the goat head has a ferocity about it. It kind of implies we won't just duel with you we will run right over you to get to where we want. They're just tougher looking. mean even. 

Are we seriously arguing that their uniforms have an affect on whether they win or lose?!

Good lord. Love them or hate them, but but choose because of your personal taste, not because you think it will help them win.

image.png

Edited by SwampD
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, SwampD said:

Are we seriously arguing that their uniforms have an affect on whether they win or lose?!

Good lord. Love them or hate them, but but choose because of your personal taste, not because you think it will help them win.

image.png

maybe, but what I was looking at more was a psychological effect. A re-branding if you like. In line with what the players say they like themselves. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, PerreaultForever said:

maybe, but what I was looking at more was a psychological effect. A re-branding if you like. In line with what the players say they like themselves. 

Yes the psychological  side of it. I mentioned the Dahlin comment where he said the guys love those goatheads. It would be interesting to hear how they felt about the whites.

• Like (+1) 2

IMHO, seeing them live in the building they look pretty good.

Agree they look weird on TV being all white w/ blue helmets.  The helmets pop on TV & make them seem like Eastern Block Reverse Retros.  (Is there nothing Putin won't try to control?)  But seeing them live the helmets aren't so dominant.

Clearly peoples opinions vary.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Pimlach said:

Blue pants solve the problem.  It breaks up the white pajama look, and it is closer to the original home whites but with the Goathead.   

I agree the all-white is the main culprit and the pants being blue would help, but  

11 minutes ago, Carmel Corn said:

Burn them all and never look back....hideous design.

Rolling these out the same season we got the OG black goat heads was such a weird choice/result. The white ones suffer for that certainly regardless of pants 

3 hours ago, Thorny said:

I agree the all-white is the main culprit and the pants being blue would help, but  

Rolling these out the same season we got the OG black goat heads was such a weird choice/result. The white ones suffer for that certainly regardless of pants 

EVERYBODY got Reverse Retros this year.  (Pretty sure everybody else got them too 2 years ago.)  And last year they had the Heritage Classic sweater.

They've been talking about adding the goathead since before the 50th anniversary season.  Expect they didn't want to continue waiting for a season they didn't have something else coming out to add a 3rd because they seem to do something special EVERY year.  Winter Classic; 50th, RR, HC, RR.

And 3rds stick around for 3 years IIRC; the specialty ones only stick for 1 year.  So the B&R GH should be back next year.  The B&G GH will be gone.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

The other thing is notice how the collars on all the other ones are not white? That would have been better too.

That thin blue line around the neck in the photo of Dahlin is actually he top of the collar.  So, the collar isn't completely white.

On 2/5/2023 at 8:02 AM, LGR4GM said:

The other thing is notice how the collars on all the other ones are not white? That would have been better too.

15 hours ago, Taro T said:

That thin blue line around the neck in the photo of Dahlin is actually he top of the collar.  So, the collar isn't completely white.

I think part of it is that most other teams white jerseys have a full color shoulder and/or sleeves not just an insignia. This one has the blue basically under the armpit then nothing until the wrist/cuff. On TV the entire jersey gets washed out on the ice in part because of it.

I like the jersey otherwise, like on its own/on a hanger. Just the pants plus how it presents on TV from above aren't great. 

Edited by Mango

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/2/2023 at 10:30 PM, SwampD said:

image.png

My theory is that the Sabres are doing so well on the road because they have a pre-2003 mindset, and think they are playing at home because they are wearing white. (Of course I'm talking about the white jersey blue pants combo, not the all-white reverse retros.)

Edited by John Gianelli

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.