GDT: Hurricanes @ Sabres - 7:30pm, Feb 1st, 2023 - TNT 📺 WGR 📻

LGR4GM

Other then Tage’s health absolutely zero concerns from me.

No shame losing to that team and I thought it was pretty even after 1 and we didn’t have Tage the 3rd period.  

That’s the quality of team we want to be and we will.  This is going to take a little time and that’s why getting into the playoffs would be huge.  

But man the East.  Friggin OV and Crosby are the 7th and 8th place teams.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, K-9 said:

I understand all that. As far as making a move just to try to get us in, it depends on the cost for the player involved and whether or not he’s just a rental. But this team, even with its worts, is knocking on the door as is, so I’m not convinced we need all that much anyway. And I’d rather spend the assets on a player that can actually help us make a longer playoff run and not just help us get to a point to be abused early on.

I hope these guys can take a lesson from tonight, too. Chiefly, that they shouldn’t confuse effort with results.  

I don’t know what you don’t understand.  Sounds like you got it 

There's not much to say. It was entertaining for the most part. It wasn't a blow out despite the score. BUT, it also shows you that there is a large gulf between where we are and where the real cup contenders are. 

I suppose it's probable that Carolina is what we want to be, but I'd say even at best results (drafts, trades, signings, coaching etc), we are about 6 players and 3 years away from that level. 

That's pretty good progress though as last year we looked about a decade away imo. 

• Like (+1) 2

I love this team. But let’s face it. As constructed they are not physical enough to compete against stronger teams. They simply get out manned.

Some of the boys can get bigger and MUST do so (Power; Cousins) and all of them need to add some muscle. But Power will need to get to the 230 area (in muscle). His comp he should be shooting for is an Hedman or a Burns whom we went against tonight. And at 6’3, Cousins should not be anywhere close to below 200. He should be at 200-210 with that frame. Obviously they are young but have to focus on becoming a more physical team. 

Yet they also need a real power forward or two. Girgensons has size but is just not a fast ,big hitter. 

It doesn’t need to be someone 6’4, 240 (though that would be nice). Even some players in the league who are 6’0, 210 can be physical and difficult players to go up against. The whole team doesn’t need that but they just get the hell checked out of them in some games. It’s like men against boys. They need at least a couple of other vet forwards and another physical defenseman  

Whether it’s a trade or signing a free agent or two that’s where they need to look. They have needed this among their forwards for a while now. Yet they drafted 3 undersized centers in round 1 last year. Talented. But they aren’t going to intimidate or out muscle anyone. 

I like a number of our prospects but there really isn’t anyone young, in the system with size. Maybe Bloom will get there but he has a ways to go. 

Again, not trying to be critical and I really love the young players on this team. But they just don’t match the physicality of other top teams to be able compete for the Cup. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

28 minutes ago, FrenchConnection44 said:

I love this team. But let’s face it. As constructed they are not physical enough to compete against stronger teams. They simply get out manned.

Some of the boys can get bigger and MUST do so (Power; Cousins) and all of them need to add some muscle. But Power will need to get to the 230 area (in muscle). His comp he should be shooting for is an Hedman or a Burns whom we went against tonight. And at 6’3, Cousins should not be anywhere close to below 200. He should be at 200-210 with that frame. Obviously they are young but have to focus on becoming a more physical team. 

Yet they also need a real power forward or two. Girgensons has size but is just not a fast ,big hitter. 

It doesn’t need to be someone 6’4, 240 (though that would be nice). Even some players in the league who are 6’0, 210 can be physical and difficult players to go up against. The whole team doesn’t need that but they just get the hell checked out of them in some games. It’s like men against boys. They need at least a couple of other vet forwards and another physical defenseman  

Whether it’s a trade or signing a free agent or two that’s where they need to look. They have needed this among their forwards for a while now. Yet they drafted 3 undersized centers in round 1 last year. Talented. But they aren’t going to intimidate or out muscle anyone. 

I like a number of our prospects but there really isn’t anyone young, in the system with size. Maybe Bloom will get there but he has a ways to go. 

Again, not trying to be critical and I really love the young players on this team. But they just don’t match the physicality of other top teams to be able compete for the Cup. 

Just to nitpick a little, it's Cozens, not Cousins. 🙂

The young guys will get bigger. They're young. 

• Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, triumph_communes said:

Absolute embarrassment. Slow start at home. Useless power play. Both things coaching has a lot of control over and we can’t get it right. What a joke 

why is it coaches fault for slow start? That's on the players...they know what time the game starts

6 hours ago, Pimlach said:

Well.  We sure didn’t impress America tonight. But I am happy with the teams overall play at the All Star break. 

Still very much a work in progress.  

9 days off, when they get back they are right there with a legitimate shot at the playoffs.  The last time I said that was decades ago.  

aren't we always?

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, FrenchConnection44 said:

They are at a 92 point pace -  I would have signed up for this before the seasonn started.

• Like (+1) 2

Clearly a young team that tries far too hard at home to impress fans and instead end up confused and not sure of themselves until it is too late (like the 3rd when they clearly outplayed the Canes). On the road, they relax, and are not so worried about putting on a show and just play their game and results show that when a player is relaxed and plays his game results are significantly better. There is pressure by management and by the players themselves to put on a big show at home to get fans to come back, but unfortunately it backfires as the team is far too young to  go out and blow the other team out at home. No worries, will come with time...

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

They are at a 92 point pace -  I would have signed up for this before the seasonn started.

Yes. Agree. That’s part of what I love about the team. And why I expressed such. They have some really nice talent. Generally a joy to watch  

I’m simply expressing what I think needs to happen to be real contenders. (I mean, that’s part of what message boards are for - to discuss those areas. And to either rejoice or commiserate depending on outcomes). No telling how many teams in various sports I’ve seen have great potential and either the players didn’t develop as they could have or the GM never saw the weak points to enhance. I certainly don’t want the peak years of Tage / Tuch to go by the wayside. 

So I am enjoying the year immensely. And hopeful. Usually by now it’s “where are we drafting and who can we get?And how soon can the draft arrive?”

Just observing the direction I have thought they have needed to go … evident for the past couple of years. They can’t simply continue down this road of being a soft team on the ice. The management, which has done pretty well, needs to (and needed to this past draft, imo) start addressing that overall physicality issue. 

• Like (+1) 1

I wouldn’t give away much of the farm just to make a playoff push this year. Maybe we can swing a trade for a long term option and not just a 1/3 season rental. Granato has to both keep the team confident and grounded about how much work they have to do to get to a high level.

But definitely need to make some moves in the off season to shore up weak points. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, FrenchConnection44 said:

I wouldn’t give away much of the farm just to make a playoff push this year. Maybe we can swing a trade for a long term option and not just a 1/3 season rental. Granato has to both keep the team confident and grounded about how much work they have to do to get to a high level.

But definitely need to make some moves in the off season to shore up weak points. 

I agree. If there isn't a "can't turn this down good" deal available (which there usually isn't), then I don't make any moves till the offseason. The team is very streaky, but getting better. The nature of this team is probably that they will have a couple more big win streaks, and then at least one lose 6-out-of-7 where people are screaming for a move. BUT, I really think the best thing to do is make it to the offseason, evaluate, then give out the contracts you want to/need to.

• Like (+1) 1

You have to give credit to the way Carolina played. All the lines play the same hard style of play on both ends of the ice. The lines are indistinguishable. The most impressive aspect of their game is how relentless they are throughout the game. There was some commentary prior to the game about how the Hurricanes would come into this game with tired legs after a back to back game that included a road game. That didn't materialize. 

The Sabres were loose with the puck, making a lot of bad passes. Too often they were intercepted with the visiting team pushing hard into the zone? How many odd man rushes did Carolina have when there were not enough players backstopping the play when we were in the offensive zone?

Carolina's coach was miked up in this game. He didn't do a lot of yelling or exhibit any histrionics behind the bench. The players are coached well, and know how to play a Brind'Amour style of game. It's instilled in them. (If you can't play that hardnosed brand of hockey, you won't be on this roster.) They are a cup contending team, we are not. But that doesn't mean that our playoff contending team can't aspire to get to the higher stage that Carolina currently occupies. Needless to say, I was very impressed by them. 

• Like (+1) 2

I saw these things:

-Aho and the Canes have the Sabres number. (14-1-0 in the last 15 games with Buffalo)

-Too many layups for the Canes. More beef needed near the net. Also Buffalo should take a page out of that book.

-The Canes upset the Sabres with the full court press. I saw Dahlin alone in back of the Sabres net with the puck for what seemed like a minute, while two Carolina players were bottling him up.

-Samuelson seemed to be playing hurt. Concerns about Tage's back  

-Quinn with several chances, when he starts burying them regularly he'll be a very valuable player.

-They waited out Luukonen and this was a successful strategy

-Wondering if Mitts/Olofsson + for Meyers might be a thing but again, the Sabres need beef on the back end and that's the most pressing need IMO.

Edited by Quint
  • Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Quint said:

I saw these things:

-Aho has the Sabres number.

-Too many layups for the Canes. More beef needed near the net. Also Buffalo should take a page out of that book.

-The Canes upset the Sabres with the full court press. I saw Dahlin alone in back of the Sabres net with the puck for what seemed like a minute, while two Carolina players were bottling him up.

-Quinn with several chances, when he starts burying them regularly he'll be a very valuable player.

-Wondering if Mitts/Olofsson + for Meyers might be a thing but again, the Sabres need beef on the back end and that's the most pressing need IMO.

Myers is awful and is size in literal sense only.

8 hours ago, FrenchConnection44 said:

Again, not trying to be critical and I really love the young players on this team.

Agree with your post. For me, more a criticism of KA’s first couple drafts. We are rich with fast, talented scoring forwards on the roster and in the pipeline. Think we a need a few big, strong checking wall players so DG can improve his checking line, and put one on a couple lines to feed goal scorers. Maybe in the next drafts or a trade. My two cents.

• Like (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Stray thought: I'm watching that game - and not being someone who follows the personnel moves of other teams much - and I was just like "Paul Stastny? Brent Burns? ... FAHK, this team is loaded for bear."

That should be the Sabres in a year or 2.

Canes are a good team that is going for it. Adding some veteran pieces to fill gaps. Weaponizing cap space.

They added Pacioretty from Vegas for nothing, just took the cap hit ($7M). Vegas even threw in Dman Coghlan. His $7M is now in LTIR so they will probably add a big piece at the deadline.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Quint said:

I saw these things:

-Aho and the Canes have the Sabres number. (14-1-0 in the last 15 games with Buffalo)

I don't disagree with any of what you said. Some things to add:

-Aho and the Canes have the Sabres number. (14-1-0 in the last 15 games with Buffalo)  That is REALLY bad.  You would think just with some 'puck luck' you would have a few more points.

-Too many layups for the Canes. More beef needed near the net. Also Buffalo should take a page out of that book.   I didn't think it was a matter of 'beef', but rather positioning and sometimes being a bit late to get into position or help being late in the D-zone.  Or maybe more size/strength WOULD help, but the same thing could be overcome with positioning instead of it, but the Sabres didn't show either last night.

-The Canes upset the Sabres with the full court press. I saw Dahlin alone in back of the Sabres net with the puck for what seemed like a minute, while two Carolina players were bottling him up.   I have noticed that on occasion in other games also. Wingers might need to get back to help in that case along the boards. As good as Dahlin is, he can't do everything all the time.  Dahlin has such good skating and passing he is almost like a partial 'cheat code' for moving the puck up the ice, but that 'cheat code' doesn't work every single time and the Sabres should learn to not rely on it.

-Samuelson seemed to be playing hurt. Concerns about Tage's back.  Tage I worrk about simply because of his size and how he plays. I don't have evidence from other similar players, but I feel that him (and Samuelsson also) just have a body type where they will get minor injuries on a regular basis through their careers.

2 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

Stray thought: I'm watching that game - and not being someone who follows the personnel moves of other teams much - and I was just like "Paul Stastny? Brent Burns? ... FAHK, this team is loaded for bear."

That should be the Sabres in a year or 2.

That team in a full 7 game series vs the Leafs or Boston would be really, really fun. Stanley Cup level entertainment.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.