GDT: Hurricanes @ Sabres - 7:30pm, Feb 1st, 2023 - TNT 📺 WGR 📻

LGR4GM

Barometer game failure. It’s all well and good that we are competing for a low playoff spot and I can appreciate that measure of improvement over prior years, but we are light years away from the likes of the Carolinas of the league. Which is why I don’t want KA to sell any part of the farm on a deal for a player who isn’t gonna be able to get us much closer to the league’s elite teams. It’s not the time to strike given how much farther we have to go.

• Like (+1) 5

Well.  We sure didn’t impress America tonight. But I am happy with the teams overall play at the All Star break. 

Still very much a work in progress.  

9 days off, when they get back they are right there with a legitimate shot at the playoffs.  The last time I said that was decades ago.  

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 2

Playoff team shows wannabee playoff team how to win. 

Lesson learned. I hope the boys feel a little sting this week while they take a much deserved break and come back focused and ready to make a push for the playoffs.

It's all right there at this point. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

13 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Barometer game failure. It’s all well and good that we are competing for a low playoff spot and I can appreciate that measure of improvement over prior years, but we are light years away from the likes of the Carolinas of the league. Which is why I don’t want KA to sell any part of the farm on a deal for a player who isn’t gonna be able to get us much closer to the league’s elite teams. It’s not the time to strike given how much farther we have to go.

I don’t know about light years but we have dues to pay.  

Getting to the playoffs is an huge hump, especially after 11-12 or whatever it is years, and then getting abused in playoffs is the first step.  I sure hope we do that this year.  KA should make a move to try to get us in.  

Look at Brind Amour in the locker room after the game on TNT coverage.  He has a team of men. 

• Like (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, Norcal said:

Playoff team shows wannabee playoff team how to win. 

Lesson learned. I hope the boys feel a little sting this week while they take a much deserved break and come back focused and ready to make a push for the playoffs.

It's all right there at this point. 

Gonna be more lessons to learn. But they will get better from them.

1 minute ago, nfreeman said:

Carolina is the only team I’ve seen this year in Boston’s class.

The Sabres need their best game to beat a team that good, and that wasn’t their best game.

I’m kinda worried about TT.  

Looked like back spasms or perhaps an abdominal strain...10 days of rest coming at a great time for him. Hopefully he skips the All-star game to rest

• Like (+1) 3

A few visuals of the Carolina bench showed Brind'Amour exhorting his team… at eye level… individually and collectively… after a shift… Yapping at the Refs… Guessing he does this throughout the game… Brind'Amour sets the tone… Wish Granato showed more of this attribute… Think he is too quiet sometimes… 

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, Pimlach said:

I don’t know about light years but we have dues to pay.  

Getting to the playoffs is an huge hump, especially after 11-12 or whatever it is years, and then getting abused in playoffs is the first step.  I sure hope we do that this year.  KA should make a move to try to get us in.  

Look at Brind Amour in the locker room after the game on TNT coverage.  He has a team of men. 

I understand all that. As far as making a move just to try to get us in, it depends on the cost for the player involved and whether or not he’s just a rental. But this team, even with its worts, is knocking on the door as is, so I’m not convinced we need all that much anyway. And I’d rather spend the assets on a player that can actually help us make a longer playoff run and not just help us get to a point to be abused early on.

I hope these guys can take a lesson from tonight, too. Chiefly, that they shouldn’t confuse effort with results.  

• Like (+1) 3

It's nice that this team doesn't quit. They were still coming until the bitter end.

Too bad they started 15 minutes late.

This looked a lot like the Dallas game against another premier team. The major difference was we didn't have Anderson saving our ***** during the sleepy start.

I saw enough to know that we've got the pieces to play with these teams, we just haven't quite figured out how to do it from start to finish, shift to shift. We're still learning how to win, Carolina already knows how.

Individually, I really hope whatever is bothering Mule heals up over the break. We won't survive an extended stretch of this version of him.

And that was the closest NHL facsimile of the Jack Quinn I watched in Rochester. Can't wait until he breaks through.

See you all in a week, where I to be returning with a healthy Tage to enjoy the rest of the ride.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 2

Just now, PASabreFan said:

Probably just the opposite. Four more years of winter. He's probably grinning that grin.

No way is it four more years of winter. Tonight was not as bad as the score.

One positive was VO's defensive game. He was really good in our zone.

They had their chances, hit some iron, just couldn't cash in.

Kinda glad they lost tonight. It'll fester over the next ten days and they'll come back hungrier than if they started believing their own press after a win.

Gonna be a fun finish to the season.

• Like (+1) 1

The Sabres have enough talent to compete against a team like this on any given night, but not consistently. I think they already know how to win, that finding the consistency is more about the overall talent level increasing. Like people have pointed out, cup contender vs playoff contender. We may even have the gap closers here, in some/large/most part: Quinn and Peterka will get a lot better for example. So comes the consistency in finding Ws because on nights Tage doesn’t produce, more guys can step up 

When our Guys are on, we are on, but when Quinn and the rest join the ranks of guys on our team that have “that level” we’ll just see the down nights less. Power was already covering for Dahlin tonight. Needed another to step up on D. 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 4

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.