GDT: Hurricanes @ Sabres - 7:30pm, Feb 1st, 2023 - TNT 📺 WGR 📻

LGR4GM

16 minutes ago, Mustache of God said:

I'm a big fan of it. Teams have finally caught on to the fact that TT will kill you if you don't cover him and have had a guy taking everything away from him. By my count it's been 13 games since he last had a PP goals (vs MIN on Jan 7th). 

Putting VO on the other side gives you a dual threat of absolute BOMBS. Go ahead and cover Tage, that'll just create more space for VO. If the other team cheats less on Tage to cover VO then that let's Tage get his space.

The last time they used this setup teams were shadowing VO and TNT. This opens up space for Dahlin to move in to the slot and shoot or fake a shot and dish off.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Brawndo said:

Should be Skinner on PP2

51 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Not a fan of Olofsson & Thompson on the same PP unit.  But, yes, if he's going to be there the guy in the middle along w/ Tuch should be Cozens, not Skinner.

I think DG has, correctly, and unlike Krueger, realized that moving Skinner off of the top line or the top PP unit results in Skinner getting PO'd and/or discouraged, with a net negative effect on the team.

24 minutes ago, Mustache of God said:

I'm a big fan of it. Teams have finally caught on to the fact that TT will kill you if you don't cover him and have had a guy taking everything away from him. By my count it's been 13 games since he last had a PP goals (vs MIN on Jan 7th). 

Putting VO on the other side gives you a dual threat of absolute BOMBS. Go ahead and cover Tage, that'll just create more space for VO. If the other team cheats less on Tage to cover VO then that let's Tage get his space.

This is where I am.  It's also worth noting IMHO that the PP has been in the dumper for a few weeks now, so a tweak is in order.  And VO is crushing it right now.

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, OverPowerYou said:

I really like all of the 7:30 starts and the matinee games this year. I remember back in 06-07 there were a lot of friday games that started at 8. I kind of like the change up 

If you look at the schedule, we're in the middle of a 5-week span where we don't have a single 7pm start (due to the all-star break, west coast trips, matinees and a 730 start or two peppered in). 

17 minutes ago, French Collection said:

The last time they used this setup teams were shadowing VO and TNT. This opens up space for Dahlin to move in to the slot and shoot or fake a shot and dish off.

Actually, the last time they used it (on Saturday) they didn't get a single shot off, nor did they come close to doing so.

6 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

I think DG has, correctly, and unlike Krueger, realized that moving Skinner off of the top line or the top PP unit results in Skinner getting PO'd and/or discouraged, with a net negative effect on the team.

This is where I am.  It's also worth noting IMHO that the PP has been in the dumper for a few weeks now, so a tweak is in order.  And VO is crushing it right now.

Absolutely, they won't move Skinner off the top PP unit.  And understand the reasoning for that stance.  But it doesn't change the fact that the PP would nrarly defonitely be better w/ him not on it.

And, as to VO & Tage both on the unit.  Not a fan because you now have 2 players instead of just 1 remaining more or less stationary.  It's real easy for the D to cover the passing lanes when they never change.  IMHO, the better change to the unit would be to have Cozens fake the pass to Thompson & blast away &/or to have Tage give a slap pass across to Cozens or Tuch.  Not exclusively, but often enough to raise some doubt about where the shot is coming from.  Right now it's 80% Tage & 20% Dahlin w/ 4 guys moving to open up lanes.

IF Tage & VO stay active, it helps, but then they aren't going to be as ready to take the 1 timer.

35 minutes ago, Taro T said:

And, as to VO & Tage both on the unit.  Not a fan because you now have 2 players instead of just 1 remaining more or less stationary.

Just because they're there for one-timers doesn't mean they're pinned to a spot.  Look at the VO goal recently on a 2-on-1 when he was fed by Boosh.  They were both flying down the ice and VO one-timed it.  Also, the three way passing play from Skinner to Tuch to Tage that was one-timed in.  If they're not moving around, it's not because they're planning a one-timer, it's because they're not moving around.

38 minutes ago, Taro T said:

IF Tage & VO stay active, it helps, and the defense isn't in position to defend the 1 timer.

fify

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

We only win this game if we have amazing goaltending. Both teams are fast, both can score, but they are more tenacious, more experienced, play better team defense and are much better in front of the net (both ways). 

We are however, good enough lately that if they are not at their best and we are we could make it close or pull an upset. 

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

Actually, the last time they used it (on Saturday) they didn't get a single shot off, nor did they come close to doing so.

Absolutely, they won't move Skinner off the top PP unit.  And understand the reasoning for that stance.  But it doesn't change the fact that the PP would nrarly defonitely be better w/ him not on it.

And, as to VO & Tage both on the unit.  Not a fan because you now have 2 players instead of just 1 remaining more or less stationary.  It's real easy for the D to cover the passing lanes when they never change.  IMHO, the better change to the unit would be to have Cozens fake the pass to Thompson & blast away &/or to have Tage give a slap pass across to Cozens or Tuch.  Not exclusively, but often enough to raise some doubt about where the shot is coming from.  Right now it's 80% Tage & 20% Dahlin w/ 4 guys moving to open up lanes.

IF Tage & VO stay active, it helps, but then they aren't going to be as ready to take the 1 timer.

Let’s hope some actual practice time improves things. 

3 hours ago, Taro T said:

Right.

It was one PP last game. I know there was a lot of space for Dahlin but he kept passing to the side. They’ve had some practice time with this configuration, should have some options.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.