"The NHL is an 85% League"

LGR4GM

• LGR4GM changed the title to "The NHL is an 85% League"

Interesting.  And may explain why young players fade as the season progresses.  If they have to give 100% to stay competitive, what happens when they wear down and the rest of the league is just starting to ramp up?

It also explains why the game really starts to change in the last 1/3 of the season.

• Agree 3

1 minute ago, Weave said:

Interesting.  And may explain why young players fade as the season progresses.  If they have to give 100% to stay competitive, what happens when they wear down and the rest of the league is just starting to ramp up?

It also explains why the game really starts to change in the last 1/3 of the season.

It would also explain the common burst a team gets from AHL callups but they rarely last more than a couple games

• Agree 1

Yep. File this under “things people know deep down but generally just don’t like saying out loud”. 

14 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

It would also explain the common burst a team gets from AHL callups but they rarely last more than a couple games

And when players Steve Bernier-out 

On 1/31/2023 at 8:45 PM, SDS said:

I would agree 100%. Fans like the give the 110% every shift mantra, but who on earth thinks that is sustainable?

So many elite sports are this way. Even the Olympics. If you have to fight to get out of heats, quarters, semis, etc to make a Grand Final, you won’t have enough left in the tank to get a medal. 

To win the Olympics you have to be able to “cruise” through a bit of the event. When 85% are are fighting for their life; you have to save a gear because there are only so many times in a year you can go deep into the well. Then you rave the 15% of the field that made the final at 110%.

Edited by Mango
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Does that make the NBA a 50% league.  They don’t seem to take it seriously until the playoffs.

This was my first thought. Compared to regular season NBA games, regular season NHL games are at March Madness level intensity. 

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, TheAud said:

This was my first thought. Compared to regular season NBA games, regular season NHL games are at March Madness level intensity. 

That is what I like about NHL playoffs and tournaments like the World Juniors, there is closer to 100% effort, all of the time. March Madness is similar too, I don’t watch it anymore, but I preferred it to the NBA for that reason.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

Totally agree.

It’s exactly what Granato is taking about when he says the young players have learn to play the game “efficiently” and learn that “you don’t have to win every shift”.

It’s no different from the philosophy of not sacrificing winning long-term for winning tonight. The NHL regular season is marathon, not a sprint.

• Agree 1

Without a doubt, the goal should be 110% every single shift, start to finish.

There will be ups and downs, moments where you just don't have it, but that doesn't mean you intentionally take shifts off.

Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

44 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

Without a doubt, the goal should be 110% every single shift, start to finish.

There will be ups and downs, moments where you just don't have it, but that doesn't mean you intentionally take shifts off.

Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.

Have you ever eaten 110% of a pizza that you ordered?

2 minutes ago, tom webster said:

Like someone else said, this seems like common sense. The trick is trying to stagger out when your players are holding back so you have a competitive chance in most of the games. Also, another reason you need a goalie capable of steeling a game here and there.

I think an eye opener for managers has been how few Presidents Trophy winners go on to win the Stanley Cup.

Teams that finish first have probably expended extra energy to claim that title and may not have another gear for the playoffs.

Tampa is a recent example of comfortably getting into the playoffs and grinding out deep runs.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.