Matej Pekar assigned to ECHL

LGR4GM

4 minutes ago, inkman said:

That 2014 draft could have sent this franchise down a very different path.  Reinhart, Lemieux and Olofsson are obviously great picks but every other Sabres pick from that draft was hot garbage. 

Lemieux was a "great pick" at #31?  Sure, he's played 256 games, but the most games he's ever played in a season was 59 in Covid-shortened 2019-20.

3 minutes ago, inkman said:

That 2014 draft could have sent this franchise down a very different path.  Reinhart, Lemieux and Olofsson are obviously great picks but every other Sabres pick from that draft was hot garbage.  

They were all bad picks except for VO.  Reinhart should have been  Draisaitl.  Lemieux has been mediocre at best, he didn’t want to be here and we could have numerous better players like Demko or Marcus Pettersson who were drafted soon after.  Sorokin and Point were drafted in the 3rd after we took Johansson and Martin.  Just awful. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Lemieux was a "great pick" at #31?  Sure, he's played 256 games, but the most games he's ever played in a season was 59 in Covid-shortened 2019-20.

Lemieux only played because he was physically big and had the correct last name. He was a literal JAG. 

Just now, GASabresIUFAN said:

They were all bad picks except for VO.  Reinhart should have been  Draisaitl.  Lemieux has been mediocre at best, he didn’t want to be here and we could have numerous better players like Demko or Marcus Pettersson who were drafted soon after.  Sorokin and Point were drafted in the 3rd after we took Johansson and Martin.  Just awful. 

No, just stop. Sam Reinhart is a very successful NHL player. 

• Agree 1

15 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

He basically  Bombed his interview and said he didn't want to be drafted by buffalo but they still drafted him .

That was just beyond dumb draft pick 

Edited by Buffalonill
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

1 minute ago, LGR4GM said:

Lemieux only played because he was physically big and had the correct last name. He was a literal JAG. 

No, just stop. Sam Reinhart is a very successful NHL player. 

He is and he was the only tank fruit player I wanted KA to keep.  However, Draisaitl should have been the pick.  He was 2nd on my consensus draft board. 

• Like (+1) 1

You guys are smoking crack.  3 NHL players in one draft is fantastic drafting.

A solid top 6 winger that easily does well as a top 3, a 30ish goal sniper, and a 4th line pest is a hell of a draft result.

As for Lemieux not being a successful draft pick, he’s already beaten the odds of a 2nd rounder having an NHL career, JAG or not.

• Agree 2

5 hours ago, Weave said:

A solid top 6 winger that easily does well as a top 3, a 30ish goal sniper, and a 4th line pest is a hell of a draft result.

As for Lemieux not being a successful draft pick, he’s already beaten the odds of a 2nd rounder having an NHL career, JAG or not.

I was thinking the same thing.  I don't have time to look up success rates for drafted players, but I believe that having 3 NHLers in one draft, 2 of whom are having very productive, longer-term careers is a pretty successful draft.  It's a bit of a stretch to think back that many years, but I believe that it was consensus at the time that the #2 overall pick was going to be one of the "Sams" and I think the Sabres picked the better of the two.  If I'm not mistaken, both Sams are now playing for the Panthers. 

There isn't much doubt that Draisaitl is having a much more productive career than either of the Sams, but I recall him being projected in the #3-#5 range that year.  Also, Draisaitl certainly benefits from being the #2 guy on his team - more than Reinhart benefitted from being the #2 to Eichel.  Opponents have to focus on stopping McDavid first, and then worry about Draisaitl.  If they are on the ice together, the first guy to control/stop has to be McDavid.  Even if they are not on the ice at the same time, a team has to devote its best defensive efforts to when McDavid is on the ice and not when Draisaitl is on the ice.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Weave said:

Actually that was what I was going to post... more or less... but then I had the misfortune of looking up Lemiux's stats. 

The Sabres did actually do well in 2014.  It really comes down to getting lucky with Olofsson though.  2OA had better be a good player, and Pekar is meh.  So it was a good draft but primarily because they got lucky on the dice roll that was Olofsson.

7 hours ago, Weave said:

If that's all you hope for from what today would be a 1st round pick I feel bad for your warped perception of what a valuable draft pick looks like. I am glad though they hit on olofsson, that's pretty cool. 

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

If that's all you hope for from what today would be a 1st round pick I feel bad for your warped perception of what a valuable draft pick looks like. I am glad though they hit on olofsson, that's pretty cool. 

I don’t need you to feel bad for me.  That selection has been a 25% chance to make it historically.  He made it as a legit NHL player.  Every draft for every team is full of opportunities to point and laugh at who was picked and who was missed.  We got 3 players with NHL careers out of that draft.  Thats a success by any measure.

2 hours ago, Weave said:

I don’t need you to feel bad for me.  That selection has been a 25% chance to make it historically.  He made it as a legit NHL player.  Every draft for every team is full of opportunities to point and laugh at who was picked and who was missed.  We got 3 players with NHL careers out of that draft.  Thats a success by any measure.

I respectfully disagree. 

1 hour ago, Weave said:

Disagree with what?  The odds of a 2nd rd pick having an NHL career?  That Lemieux is an actual NHL player? That selecting 3 NHL players in a draft is a successful outcome?

You know and love our Liger as I do, but sometimes he just has to state that he respectfully disagrees.  Even if it's unclear as to the particulars of that respectful disagreement.  You know ??

I mean, looking at that draft, there are (by my rough count) 8 players taken before Lemieux that have played fewer games, and 16 players taken after FOR THE ENTIRE DRAFT that have played more games. VO is not one of those players, but he's only a couple dozen games behind. After the 1st round, it's more likely any player will not play a significant amount in the NHL than will. Even 1st round picks 20-30 that year are 50% to be in the league now.

https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/nhl2014e.html

On 1/31/2023 at 5:24 PM, GASabresIUFAN said:

nah.  Grigorenko (12th overall) at least played 249 NHL games.  Nylander, a 8th overall pick, lasted 84.

I'll see your Grigorenko and raise you a TJ Brennan and the immortal Dennis Persson

I'd agree on Nylander.  I hated that pick - everyone kept saying "Eichel got his winger!".  We were terrible, why not draft good players?

I think the reason grigorenko is a disappointment is that good players were selected afterwards.  

On 2/1/2023 at 9:49 AM, GASabresIUFAN said:

My understanding is that his father was his agent??? Wouldn't he or the player's representation have made it known before the draft that he didn't want to be here? It's not as if he was a top tier prospect who you wouldn't want to pass on because he was such an enticing talent. At that point in the draft there should have been a number of options beside him. 

15 minutes ago, JohnC said:

My understanding is that his father was his agent??? Wouldn't he or the player's representation have made it known before the draft that he didn't want to be here? It's not as if he was a top tier prospect who you wouldn't want to pass on because he was such an enticing talent. At that point in the draft there should have been a number of options beside him. 

They did and murray still drafted him like a moron 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.