Hasek #7 on the Athletic NHL 99 countdown

dudacek

9 minutes ago, Eleven said:

I'm not sure what they're doing--don't have a subscription--but if it's best NHL players or whatever, those 8, 9, 10 don't quite make sense.

Counting down the top 100 players post-expansion, I believe.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

https://theathletic.com/4109675/2023/01/31/nhl99-dominik-hasek/

Roy was 11, Brodeur 21 and Dryden 25.

Lidsrom Esposito and Bourque were 8, 9, 10

Unless someone is WAY out of place, its hard to argue.  Hasek at #7 Im fine with. Personally of everyone I have seen since I was a little kid (late 1970s, but I was so young I barely remember that) I would put him at #2 myself.....but I'm fine with #7.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, mjd1001 said:

Unless someone is WAY out of place, its hard to argue.  Hasek at #7 Im fine with. Personally of everyone I have seen since I was a little kid (late 1970s, but I was so young I barely remember that) I would put him at #2 myself.....but I'm fine with #7.

Gretzky, Crosby, Lemieux

Jagr, ovechkin

Whos missing?

22 minutes ago, Drag0nDan said:

Gretzky, Crosby, Lemieux

Jagr, ovechkin

Whos missing?

I guess Orr.  I think I saw a game he played once as a little kid but I don't even remember it.  I'll take everyones word for how good he was.

Lemieux for sure. The most dominant, unstoppable non-goalie I ever saw.  I guess Gretzky is there too (can't argue with the numbers) but all the times I saw him play, I saw a really really great player, but not someone as dominant as Mario Lemeuix or Hasek at their peak.

McDavid is gaining enough longevity that he might be moving up into that top 10 really quickly.

I love watching Ovechkin, and I think he is the best goal scorer of all time (better than Gretzky, Lemieux, Bossy). Just look at the numbers he put up and see that he did that in some of the lowest scoring years in modern NHL history. However, on a list like this I don't think he is top 5, maybe, MAYBE top 10 but that might even be pushing it because he was the BEST at probably the most important skill in all of hockey, but he wasn't multi-dimensional enough.

One guy that I doubt will be in there (and he doesn't deserve to because of longevity), but Eric Lindros, at his PEAK before his injury..was dominant also. It was for such a short period of time I think we all forget about it, but for that short time he was great.

If many people think Gretzky is the greatest ever because of the 92 goal year and just how many  points he put up, then you have to at least give a nod to Paul Coffey for doing what he did  as a Defenseman.  Sure, he did it in a high scoring era (So did Gretzky) but he was one of, if not THE fastest skaters in the league, put up almost 400 goals as a D-man, and had 2 40 goal seasons (one at 48 goals) and 5 other seasons of 29+ goals...again for a D-man.

Edited by mjd1001

17 minutes ago, French Collection said:

Guy Lafleur should be fairly high on that list.

5 Stanley Cups

3 Art Ross trophies

2 Hart trophies

1 Conn Smythe trophy.

Lafleur or Bossy could have that #6 slot instead of Jagr.  The other 5 though are pretty much locks. 

And suppose Howe could be there as well, though he was on the (slow) downside by the time they expanded in '66-'67.

1 minute ago, mjd1001 said:

I guess Orr.  I think I saw a game he played once as a little kid but I don't even remember it.  I'll take everyones word for how good he was.

Lemieux for sure. The most dominant, unstoppable non-goalie I ever saw.  I guess Gretzky is there too (can't argue with the numbers) but all the times I saw him play, I saw a really really great player, but not someone as dominant as Mario Lemeuix or Hasek at their peak.

One guy that I doubt will be in there (and he doesn't deserve to because of longevity), but Eric Lindros, at his PEAK before his injury..was dominant also. It was for such a short period of time I think we all forget about it, but for that short time he was great.

Gretzky is #1. They revealed that before the countdown started, basically said it was no-brainer.

Lindros was #38

Lafluer 14, Bossy 12

23 hours ago, Drag0nDan said:

Gretzky, Crosby, Lemieux

Jagr, ovechkin

Whos missing?

Orr, Lafleur, Bossy, Potvin, and I can probably think of a few others.  Espo never impressed me that much and Borque always was overrated.  Not to say that he isn't one of the greats--he is--but overrated among the greats.

12 minutes ago, NAF said:

Nicklas Lidstrom was a better defenseman than Bobby Orr and I'll die on that hill. I don't care how many points Orr put up against a bunch of guys in 1810.

Not trying to convince you to come off of your hill but Orr was the McDavid of his era with the way he could skate and handle the puck at top speed. He was way more skilled than the rest of the league, never mind other Dmen.

Lidstrom’s game was way more subtle, but he controlled the flow in both directions.

I’ll go with Orr because he could have won 5 more Norris trophies with some good health.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

23 hours ago, dudacek said:

I didn’t realize it was post expansion. It makes it better for me. Esposito may be too high for me but you can’t argue with his numbers.

38 minutes ago, NAF said:

Nicklas Lidstrom was a better defenseman than Bobby Orr and I'll die on that hill. I don't care how many points Orr put up against a bunch of guys in 1810.

I’m not going to assume anything and won’t talk you off that hill but Orr changed the game and before his knees gave out was the single most dominant player ever.

• Agree 1

22 hours ago, Eleven said:

Orr, Lafleur, Bossy, Potvin, and I can probably think of a few others.  Espo never impressed me that much and Borque always was overrated.  Not to say that he isn't one of the greats--he is--but overrated among the greats.

I think Orr would be the pick.  The other 3 were on the list behind hasek.  

On 1/31/2023 at 7:39 PM, Thorny said:

Wait where was Howe? 

7 seems good for Hasek glad they didn’t go with a good Canadian boy goalie 

Howe is discluded as the majority of his statistical impact happened prior to expansion.  

• Thanks (+1) 1

On 1/31/2023 at 11:10 AM, dudacek said:

Which expansion era are they talking about, the initial one in 68 (Philly and co.) or the one that started with the Sharks?  I'd imagine that second one would be a boring list, but I've always thought of that one as its own expansion era.

On 2/1/2023 at 10:31 AM, NAF said:

On 2/1/2023 at 10:48 AM, French Collection said:

Not trying to convince you to come off of your hill but Orr was the McDavid of his era with the way he could skate and handle the puck at top speed. He was way more skilled than the rest of the league, never mind other Dmen.

Lidstrom’s game was way more subtle, but he controlled the flow in both directions.

I’ll go with Orr because he could have won 5 more Norris trophies with some good health.

On 2/1/2023 at 11:09 AM, tom webster said:

I’m not going to assume anything and won’t talk you off that hill but Orr changed the game and before his knees gave out was the single most dominant player ever.

These kids today…

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.