Canucks trade C Bo Horvat to the Isles

matter2003

I think if Vancouver wanted, they could have held out for a bit more as we got closer to the trade deadline. I guess they think this is 'close enough' to an ideal deal for them....and on an expiring contract if he got injured they would get zero. 

Better to take 80-90% of what you think you could get now than gamble risking it all (injury) for a bit more.

Edited by mjd1001

39 minutes ago, klos1963 said:

Yep, take away a bunch of his goals and he'll have a lot fewer goals.

Hey, my math checks out. 😇

The main point was the 3W with similar career scoring output (VO has often slotted top 6 and even top line), whereas Beauvillier has been consistent middle 6 where VO should always be. Same term remaining and middle 6 salaries. VO is the closest match on our current roster.

6 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

I have seen in 3 or 4 different place people calling for Sabres to trade for Brock Boeser.

My question is Why? I have never watched him play and come away impressed at all. 

Boeser is fine. Middle 6 guy (mostly 2nd line) who is a consistent scorer but leaves you wanting more from an aggression/checking aspect considering he's over 200#. Stafford-like. He had 29 and 26 goals in sub-70 game seasons early on and got locked up to an Okposo contract. He'll get you 45-60 points every season which is solid production, but he hasn't ever taken the next step like Tuch has done, despite playing with Pettersson quite a bit.

I don't think you make a move for him because you'd want more defense and plays-to-his-size than Boeser has shown in his career.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

Boeser is fine. Middle 6 guy (mostly 2nd line) who is a consistent scorer but leaves you wanting more from an aggression/checking aspect considering he's over 200#. Stafford-like. He had 29 and 26 goals in sub-70 game seasons early on and got locked up to an Okposo contract. He'll get you 45-60 points every season which is solid production, but he hasn't ever taken the next step like Tuch has done, despite playing with Pettersson quite a bit.

I don't think you make a move for him because you'd want more defense and plays-to-his-size than Boeser has shown in his career.

He’s a one-dimensional goal-scoring middle-six winger who isn’t that fast, gritty or defensively strong.

Good player, good guy, good buy-low candidate, but he doesn’t bring us anything we don’t already have and basically pushes Quinn or Peterka off the roster.

Like him, not interested in acquiring him.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

29 minutes ago, TageMVP said:

1 point behind the Sabres. 2 points out of the wildcard. Excellent goalie. Took the Sabres to overtime in a hard fought win for the Sabres

Yeah. They suck. Hopeless even 

Lol 

One point behind with 3 extra games played. Seems weird to leave out the most important point.

• Thanks (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

I feel something crazy is going to happen in the playoffs where we  Go potentially very far even the cup and I'm the most negative person ever 

I am more moderate. I believe this team can be in position to fight for a playoff spot. I also see the potential both a final 1/4 of the season battle for a playoff spot as well as the actual playoff experience can do for this young teams confidence, especially going in to next season.

It's in that line of thinking that I am with others, if a move is made, make it stick. We've discussed team need, Meier has been discussed some, but there may very well be others that are worthy of conversation as well.

The point is, whether we think this team can streak on in deep in to a playoff run or just battle to get in to the playoffs, these are finally becoming meaningful conversations for this fan base. There is light at the end of the tunnel it would more than appear.

Edited by Scottysabres
  • Agree 2

3 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

The Nucks are not a well run team...

Not saying they are, because they aren't.

But, there's a better chance that 1st is top 5 next year than this year.  But there's a real possibility that pick is 11 or 12 this year.  Could be the long play on that piece of the deal.

37 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Not saying they are, because they aren't.

But, there's a better chance that 1st is top 5 next year than this year.  But there's a real possibility that pick is 11 or 12 this year.  Could be the long play on that piece of the deal.

Yes I agree.  The pick is only top 12 protected for this year's draft.  If it moves out a year it's unprotected (which I believe many fans don't realize).

• Like (+1) 1

I’m glad the Sabres didn’t get Horvat. He’s a good player but he would command too much money to be 3C. The salary structure would suffer if he was extended.

I also don’t trust guys having a monster year as a UFA. He’ll be 28 next season, probably regress to his usual numbers and age will start to creep into his game in another year or two.

The Isles are taking a risk, he may not extend with them. He’s a good fit for them, Lou played his cards early.

Vancouver made a mistake extending Miller, they should have kept their captain instead.

I'm surprised they made that deal (unless they already have an extension worked out) just for a shot at making the playoffs this year. Ownership must really want a playoff spot in that new arena or something. Deal is about what I'd have expected. 

It does make it harder on the Sabres to make it this year though. 

4 hours ago, TageMVP said:

1 point behind the Sabres. 2 points out of the wildcard. Excellent goalie. Took the Sabres to overtime in a hard fought win for the Sabres

Lol 

A point behind the Sabres but the Sabres have three games in hand.  Objects in rearview mirror are further than they appear.

36 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

I'm surprised they made that deal (unless they already have an extension worked out) just for a shot at making the playoffs this year. Ownership must really want a playoff spot in that new arena or something. Deal is about what I'd have expected. 

Meh.  He's no Tage Thompsonl.  He's not even an Alex Tuch.

7 hours ago, Digger said:

Yes I agree.  The pick is only top 12 protected for this year's draft.  If it moves out a year it's unprotected (which I believe many fans don't realize).

I'm very aware that it means 2024 is unprotected.

6 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

They didn't at the time of the trade. Horvat said his agent hadn't even spoken to the NYI.

• Thanks (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, Quint said:

Here's what my Islanders friend said: 

Sounds like Ryan Smyth trade part 2. If he walks at end of the year we are screwed. Raty is a stud and will be a star in 2 years.

If 2/3 center is "stud" then sure. 

11 minutes ago, Weave said:

It’s almost like it’s been so long we don’t remember how its done.

It's almost like the NYI are a team with a weak prospect pool that just got weaker and even they make the playoffs are almost guaranteed a first round exit. Many of us have been and are in favor of Buffalo making a move to fix issues, such as defense. 

12 hours ago, TageMVP said:

Lol 

The Sabres have played against a number of top-tier goalies. He's one of them. He's a Cup caliber goalie. 

• Agree 1

In the last 5 years the NYI have missed the playoffs 2 times. Their 3 playoff appearances have resulted in one 2nd round exit and I think two conference finals exit. They haven't had a 1st round draft pick since 2019 and won't have one presumably in 2023 but at worst 2024. The NYI prospect pool was ranked 27th this past month by Scott Wheeler at the Athletic https://theathletic.com/3971817/2023/01/14/islanders-nhl-prospect-pool-rankings-2023/. Their #1 prospect was Raty, who again projects out to a 2/3 center in the NHL, is now gone from the pool. This probably would re-rank them lower than 27th. 

I think the Islanders can make the playoffs but I'm not sure how much noise they can make there due to a lack of depth. They are leaning heavily on goaltending and their offense is better with Horvat but still 2 levels below Boston or similar teams. I guess we shall see but the NYI remind me a little of Vegas, a team that has gambled too much on the now at the expense of the future. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.