Canucks trade C Bo Horvat to the Isles

matter2003

6 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I think Reinhart was less valuable, yes. 

I know points aren’t everything, but these are their career numbers

Horvat 420 points in 621 games

Reinhart 416 in 584.

Horvat gets a slight bump for being a centre, but it’s not like he’s great at D.

1 minute ago, dudacek said:

I know points aren’t everything, but these are their career numbers

Horvat 420 points in 621 games

Reinhart 416 in 584.

Horvat gets a slight bump for being a centre, but it’s not like he’s great at D.

It isn't about career numbers. It's about when they get traded. 

59 minutes ago, TageMVP said:

That's a great trade for the Islanders. 

They have a great goalie in Sorokin, a team defense approach, and just added a guy who does everything well. 

They're not done yet, plenty of hockey left. 

And for some reason they always seem to sneak into the playoffs. I wouldn't write that team off 

He definitely does offense well.

Just now, LGR4GM said:

Horvat is currently at 31g and over a ppg. Honestly though, idc. We didn't trade for him. 

Fair.

Just because I don’t buy an outlier year doesn’t mean others won’t.

Canucks management made it clear they offered him a “fair” contract based on his career, not this year.

IMO, that’s something in their favour. 

It will be interesting to see what he signs for.

• Like (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

I think by cap hit/contact similarity, 3rd line wingers.

VO 4.75 through next season UFA; Beauvillier 4.15 through next season UFA. VO obviously provides more goals.

Aha. Yes, remove VO's hot streak and he'd look quite similar stat-wise.

Yep, take away a bunch of his goals and he'll have a lot fewer goals.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

If the Isles sign Horvat long term, I think this is a great trade for them. 

If it’s a rental, it would be a questionable decision.  

Raty's ceiling is probably being another Horvat at best. But his floor is zero. Beauvillier is a 30 point JAG…and that was most of Horvat’s cap hit.

Nice win for the Islanders pending an extension.  

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

That's pretty much what Kevyn did with Tage, innit?

True, but a couple key differences:

Tage Thompson switched positions from wing to center for that year. Tage turned 24 that year. Tage is also 6’6”, and taller players usually take longer to grow into their bodies. 

Horvat has been in the league a while now, and is turning 28. He will want  a long term deal, and even if this wasn’t a career year, his numbers are likely to be declining in the near future, whereas Tage’s numbers should be somewhat stable for a while. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

That's pretty much what Kevyn did with Tage, innit?

No. (Sorry, this is a pet peeve of mine).

Tage was a young player with less than 150 NHL games under his belt at the start of the season when he broke out.

That is what young players generally do in the NHL, start showing what they really are around 200 or so games

Horvat has put up between 39 and 61 points 7 straight years before popping in his 9th season at age 27.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

First shoe to drop.  We probably should have received more for Reinhart, but that’s another matter.  

I do find it interesting that the NYI could conceivably re-trade Horvat by the deadline.  Still from the NYI point of view, they need centers, younger forwards and more scoring.  Horvat checks those boxes.  Horvat  (27) and Barzal (25) are now their only decent forwards with talent under 30.  If they don’t re-trade him to recover their assets, they better re-sign him or it’s a waste.  Even with Horvat, I doubt they can catch Pitt, Wash, or Buffalo for a playoff spot.  To many good teams in the metro for them to make any real strides in the standings.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

7 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

I'm happy Buffalo didn't do anything stupid like this just  Ride and die with the lineup  they  Are good enough To make a lot of noise in the playoffs

I am happy they didn't have skin in the Horvat game, I disagree that they should stand pat if they're still in the playoff hunt come around deadline time

12 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

I am happy they didn't have skin in the Horvat game, I disagree that they should stand pat if they're still in the playoff hunt come around deadline time

I feel something crazy is going to happen in the playoffs where we  Go potentially very far even the cup and I'm the most negative person ever 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Shocked 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.