Bobby Hull passes away at 84.

GASabresIUFAN

8 hours ago, Quint said:

So long Bobby. One of the all-time great shooters, colorful and "Canadian strong." He allegedly did and said some bad things, he was certainly flawed, but a hockey legend nonetheless. Plus he was born on my b-day.

OIP.jpg

He was ripped! Don’t know what he said/did probably because he was before my time. 

25 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Do you think a midget can consent to being choked out with suspenders?

Nazi supporter? Now you're showing your hand. Hull sued that particular publication BTW.

He may have sued them, but he didn't deny saying it in that lawsuit, just that he somehow meant it with contempt?

image.thumb.png.92a33aa556519c78ea7299cbfcd6351e.png

53 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Do you think a midget can consent to being choked out with suspenders?

Nazi supporter? Now you're showing your hand. Hull sued that particular publication BTW.

Showing my hand? I actually like when idiots like him speak their minds. It shows how idiotic and contemptible they really are but I hold how they treat woman and bully everyone that I hold with much greater contempt. The midgets might willingly get into a ring or allow themselves to be human bowling balls but I’m sure the woman in Bobby’s life didn’t consent to the abuse they took.

13 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Is speech free if exercising it results in your cancellation?

Does anyone have the right to assume they are relevant? Speak all you want. Expect anyone to care? Not so much.

27 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Is speech free if exercising it results in your cancellation?

Freedom of speech protects you from government prosecution if you say what you want. It doesn't protect you from people thinking you're an *****. 

Edited by sabills
  • Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Quint said:

So long Bobby. One of the all-time great shooters, colorful and "Canadian strong." He allegedly did and said some bad things, he was certainly flawed, but a hockey legend nonetheless. Plus he was born on my b-day.

OIP.jpg

Not saying it is, but every time over the years that I have seen this pic, it just screams photoshop. 😂

Edited by LabattBlue
  • Agree 1

When I first got into ice hockey Hull was a super star with the big slap shot and he had set the goal scoring record for 58 goals in a season.  He was a must see player when the Sabres came to town in 1970.  

When you broke a hockey stick you went out and bought a plastic end to replace the wooden blade.   Great for street hockey because the plastic lasted a very long time.  You could heat the plastic over the stove and then bend a curve into the blade.   Many of us put big curves in - what we called  "Bobby Hull banana curves" on our sticks.  I don't really know if Hull actually used a big curve, but in my neighborhood he somehow got the notoriety for it.  Of course when your slap shots consistently go flying harmlessly over the net, and you cant take a backhand shot or make a pass,  you realize you have to get back to the stove and tame that curve a bit.  LOL  😂

After awhile I started hearing about his off ice problems.   Lots of drinking, smoking, and carousing in those days. 

Later the stories just got worse.  Not sure I believe the Russian press Hitler story but usually, were there is smoke there is fire.  

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, tom webster said:

Showing my hand? I actually like when idiots like him speak their minds. It shows how idiotic and contemptible they really are but I hold how they treat woman and bully everyone that I hold with much greater contempt. The midgets might willingly get into a ring or allow themselves to be human bowling balls but I’m sure the woman in Bobby’s life didn’t consent to the abuse they took.

Does anyone have the right to assume they are relevant? Speak all you want. Expect anyone to care? Not so much.

Yes you tipped your hand by exaggerating something he might have said.

Even if he said Hitler did some good things, it doesn't make him a Nazi supporter. I think Trump did a few good things. I don't support the MAGA movement.

18 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

When I first got into ice hockey Hull was a super star with the big slap shot and he had set the goal scoring record for 58 goals in a season.  He was a must see player when the Sabres came to town in 1970.  

When you broke a hockey stick you went out and bought a plastic end to replace the wooden blade.   Great for street hockey because the plastic lasted a very long time.  You could heat the plastic over the stove and then bend a curve into the blade.   Many of us put big curves in - what we called  "Bobby Hull banana curves" on our sticks.  I don't really know if Hull actually used a big curve, but in my neighborhood he somehow got the notoriety for it.  Of course when your slap shots consistently go flying harmlessly over the net, and you cant take a backhand shot or make a pass,  you realize you have to get back to the stove and tame that curve a bit.  LOL  😂

After awhile I started hearing about his off ice problems.   Lots of drinking, smoking, and carousing in those days. 

Later the stories just got worse.  Not sure I believe the Russian press Hitler story but usually, were there is smoke there is fire.  

You mean Russia state media during the Cold War might have made up a story to make an American sports icon look bad?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1

28 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Yes you tipped your hand by exaggerating something he might have said.

Even if he said Hitler did some good things, it doesn't make him a Nazi supporter. I think Trump did a few good things. I don't support the MAGA movement.

You mean Russia state media during the Cold War might have made up a story to make an American sports icon look bad?

And you, going out of your way to defend the creep, I guess that says all I need to know. Thank you.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

When I was a very young boy I liked him because he was really good at hockey.  That is all I knew about him.   

Take the Russian press incident away.  There is still more than enough out there were Hull comes of very bad.  Bad in any decade, and through any lens that I have looked and lived through.   

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, tom webster said:

And you, going out of your way to defend the creep, I guess that says all I need to know. Thank you.

Everyone deserves a defense. Well, almost everyone. Tony Danza does not.

The man's life is over. He made many mistakes. There's a complete story to be told.

Whitewashing people is dangerous.

If modern standards of cancellation were applied to this board, few would be left.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

Everyone deserves a defense. Well, almost everyone. Tony Danza does not.

The man's life is over. He made many mistakes. There's a complete story to be told.

Whitewashing people is dangerous.

If modern standards of cancellation were applied to this board, few would be left.

I’m intrigued by this concept of “modern standards of cancellation.” Personally, I don’t think the “standards” have changed since we were painting on cave walls. 

2 hours ago, K-9 said:

I’m intrigued by this concept of “modern standards of cancellation.” Personally, I don’t think the “standards” have changed since we were painting on cave walls. 

There are people who due to religion, culture or simply personal views have different (less modern) opinions on race, women, sexuality etc. that are contrary to the mainstream/prevailing view on these topics. Often, these people do get excoriated and sometimes cancelled because of their minority beliefs. Although, I'm more likely to disagree with these less than enlightened/modern views, it has to be acknowledged that there is less tolerance for those holding those views. 

In addition, due to social media and the internet (modern communication) there is an intensity and swiftness of response that didn't exist a number of years ago to comments that are not aligned with the majority view. As an example: Dave Chapelle is a comedian whose views are usually very updated and liberal. He has made comments about gays and transgenders in his act that many found offensive. And because of it there were some who try to get him cancelled. He's a stubborn and strong-willed guy whose response was to double down on issues/responses that some considered controversial. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.