Practice Notes 1/30; Thompson, Cozens and Samuelsson Day To Day

Brawndo

11 hours ago, Pimlach said:

They have 10 days off after Wednesday.  I would like to get those two points from Carolina in our building.  I am concerned about a slow start after the All Star break.  

Depending on what is going on with them, I would be playing them Wednesday - Cozens and Muel will have had 5 full days of rest.  Not sure what TnT needs, they are keeping that one quiet.  

Every point is critical now.  

The Sabres Medical and Training Staff has done an excellent job with minimizing injuries and rehabbing those players with ailments. 
The Sports Science Department was instrumental in making sure the team had minimal practice to maximize game performance.

Those two points on Wednesday are critical, but if the training staff is the least bit concerned about any of them tweaking their injuries which would possibly cause them to miss more games after the All Star Break it’s not worth it in the long run. 

My hunch is they are all back in on Wednesday 

• Thanks (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Brawndo said:

The Sabres Medical and Training Staff has done an excellent job with minimizing injuries and rehabbing those players with ailments. 
The Sports Science Department was instrumental in making sure the team had minimal practice to maximize game performance.

Those two points on Wednesday are critical, but if the training staff is the least bit concerned about any of them tweaking their injuries which would possibly cause them to miss more games after the All Star Break it’s not worth it in the long run. 

My hunch is they are all back in on Wednesday 

The injury situation this year really has been remarkable.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, dudacek said:

Cozens can’t shoot the puck as well as VO, but he can shoot it pretty good.

He can also pass the puck better, retrieve it better, enter the zone better and win faceoffs.

I wish they could take better advantage of Tuch and Skinner down low. We don’t score many back door tap-ins like Vic got last game, and we rarely bury anything from the bumper slot like how Bergeron seems to score every game against us.

Cozens needs to occasionally shoot the puck or dish it to whomever is the guy to his right whether it be Tuch or Skinner.  None have as good of a shot as Thompson nor Olofsson, but if the D & goalie are focused on stopping Tage, a shot from any of those 3 can be just as deadly.

Realize it won't happen, but would like Skinner off the top PP unit w/ either Mittelstadt or Quinn replacing him.  It would get quicker puck movement from that spot & a better passer that can still have a reasonable shot.  Would also open up give & goes w/ Cozens where Cozens could either shot or give another pass to Thompson (w/ a mix of 60/40 being preferred).

10 hours ago, Taro T said:

Again, maybe it happens.  But really don't see Granato doing that.  Said what this kid's expectation is for Wednesday.

Neither do I. Not's not to say that it wouldn't be an intriguing line for a short spell. It's going to be interesting to see where Krebs is placed next year, especially if he continues with is progression! 

4 hours ago, Taro T said:

Cozens needs to occasionally shoot the puck or dish it to whomever is the guy to his right whether it be Tuch or Skinner.  None have as good of a shot as Thompson nor Olofsson, but if the D & goalie are focused on stopping Tage, a shot from any of those 3 can be just as deadly.

Realize it won't happen, but would like Skinner off the top PP unit w/ either Mittelstadt or Quinn replacing him.  It would get quicker puck movement from that spot & a better passer that can still have a reasonable shot.  Would also open up give & goes w/ Cozens where Cozens could either shot or give another pass to Thompson (w/ a mix of 60/40 being preferred).

Quinn down low over Skinner might be future of the PP.

He’s still too fast or too slow with a lot of his playmaking, but no one on the team has his hands from within 25 feet of the goal - shot or pass.

He was so good on the PP for the Amerks last year. Played Tage’s slot on the left half-wall mostly, but was usually lower in the zone.

Scored his first NHL goal on the PP from the right half-wall.

• Agree 1

On 1/16/2023 at 5:35 PM, Thorny said:

Silver linings, let’s see.. 

We remain one of the healthiest teams in the league this season. It’s been refreshing tbh, those comments re: examining their injury treatment process seem to perhaps be more than lip-service. 

20 hours ago, Brawndo said:

Adams mentioned improving how the team prevents and rehabs from injuries was a priority this year 

Have been thinking about this all season 

I’m sure it’s partially luck/random but probably some of their own doing, too

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.