Practice Notes 1/30; Thompson, Cozens and Samuelsson Day To Day

Brawndo

38 minutes ago, RochesterExpat said:

If TNT sits out for the game, do you play Asplund again or recall Vinnie from Rochester? Asplund played 7 minutes on Saturday and that was it.

Or do you recall Jiri "I have no other plans" Kulich and give him a game?

If I were coach - 

You play Asplund and you expect him to handle more than 7-8 minutes, he should be much more ready to go after a game and a few practices.  Vinnie has to clear waivers again if he gets sent down, so for 1 game it is not the risk of losing an experienced forward with the playoff run coming.  

If TNT sits you move Cozens to line 1, assuming he plays, to try to keep it a strong line.  I don't think DG liked what he saw with Aspie centering the kids so maybe you move Jost up to that line?  Leave the Krebs line alone to have some continuity.  Put Aspie with VO and Mitts.  

I don't see the point in looking at Kulich to play on a makeshift line for a single game.  Asplund has been there all season, lets hope he can step up when needed.  

Just now, Pimlach said:

If I were coach - 

You play Asplund and you expect him to handle more than 7-8 minutes, he should be much more ready to go after a game and a few practices.  Vinnie has to clear waivers again if he gets sent down, so for 1 game it is not the risk of losing an experienced forward with the playoff run coming.  

If TNT sits you move Cozens to line 1, assuming he plays, to try to keep it a strong line.  I don't think DG liked what he saw with Aspie centering the kids so maybe you move Jost up to that line?  Leave the Krebs line alone to have some continuity.  Put Aspie with VO and Mitts.  

I don't see the point in looking at Kulich to play on a makeshift line for a single game.  Asplund has been there all season, lets hope he can step up when needed.  

You might be right, but expect there's a greater likelihood that Mittelstadt centers the Thompson line should he be unable to go but Cozens is available with Asplund taking Mitts spot on the Jost line than there is Cozens moving up.

Mittelstadt was centering his line after things shuffled in Minny and he played pretty much at the same level he has since Christmas on the W.

Don't see them moving Jost to the Kid Line, but maybe.  Expect Granato tries to keep things as unchanged overall as possible & Asplund has played w/ Olofsson a lot since that 70's line started so hot last year.  Asplund was also playing w/ Jost after things juggled on Saturday.  The Kids have their best chemistry w/ Cozens & Mitts has bounced up to Skinner's place in the past.

Am curious if the keep Olofsson on the top PP w/out Thompson or if they slide Quinn into that spot bring Krebs into Quinn's spot on PP2.

And not that you were advocating VO to PP1 w/ Thompson, but am going to put this here.  With the Wild anticipating Thompson & VO on the PP last game, it was really bad & didn't come close to getting even 1 shot off (on their only attempt) as there was very little movement from either side looking for 1 timers.  Players are necessarily fairly stationary looking for 1 timers & stationary PPs don't generate shooting lanes.

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

You might be right, but expect there's a greater likelihood that Mittelstadt centers the Thompson line should he be unable to go but Cozens is available with Asplund taking Mitts spot on the Jost line than there is Cozens moving up.

Mittelstadt was centering his line after things shuffled in Minny and he played pretty much at the same level he has since Christmas on the W.

Don't see them moving Jost to the Kid Line, but maybe.  Expect Granato tries to keep things as unchanged overall as possible & Asplund has played w/ Olofsson a lot since that 70's line started so hot last year.  Asplund was also playing w/ Jost after things juggled on Saturday.  The Kids have their best chemistry w/ Cozens & Mitts has bounced up to Skinner's place in the past.

Am curious if the keep Olofsson on the top PP w/out Thompson or if they slide Quinn into that spot bring Krebs into Quinn's spot on PP2.

And not that you were advocating VO to PP1 w/ Thompson, but am going to put this here.  With the Wild anticipating Thompson & VO on the PP last game, it was really bad & didn't come close to getting even 1 shot off (on their only attempt) as there was very little movement from either side looking for 1 timers.  Players are necessarily fairly stationary looking for 1 timers & stationary PPs don't generate shooting lanes.

If TT sits out the next game why not move Cozens to the first line and have Krebs center for Quinn and JJ? Krebs played with these two players in Rochester. And my understanding is that the line thrived when together. Then Asplund can be moved to the Okposo/Girgs line for a short stint. Something to consider?????

Edited by JohnC
  • Agree 1

15 minutes ago, TageMVP said:

Would like to get this win to be officially in a playoff spot before the break 

These injuries stink but at least it's nothing major 

Even if this happens, the fact we only play 4 games in 20 days means it’s unlikely we will still be there in 3 weeks.

I feel good about our chances, but I doubt this will be as smooth as we want it to be.

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

If TT sits out the next game why not move Cozens to the first line and have Krebs center for Quinn and JJ? Krebs played with these two players in Rochester. And my understanding is that the line thrived when together. Then Asplund can be moved to the Okposo/Girgs line for a short stint. Something to consider?????

Krebs to line one, Aspy to line four. Would love to see Krebs with some talent around him and he won’t be out-hustled playing D. 

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, Taro T said:

They aren't IR'ing Tage. 

No but they could send UPL down on paper.

4 hours ago, RochesterExpat said:

I love how I thought "All Star Break" and forgot the ASG takes place during it. Who would have thought? Clearly I need more coffee.

You get any ice today?

4 hours ago, Pimlach said:

I don't think DG liked what he saw with Aspie centering the kids so maybe you move Jost up to that line?  Leave the Krebs line alone to have some continuity.

I disagree:  Asplund with Kyle/Gus, Krebs with the kids.  They had chemistry in Rochester.

54 minutes ago, Porous Five Hole said:

Krebs to line one, Aspy to line four. Would love to see Krebs with some talent around him and he won’t be out-hustled playing D. 

That would be an interesting first line. The reason why I suggested putting Krebs on a line with Quinn and JJ is because they played together in Rochester and were very productive. Cozens moving up to the first makes more sense to me because as a replacement for TT he is more willing to shoot than Krebs is, and his passing is also solid. That would be a closer match to to TT's style of play than what Krebs would be able to provide. 

36 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

I disagree:  Asplund with Kyle/Gus, Krebs with the kids.  They had chemistry in Rochester.

I didn’t like them as a line in Rochester: weren’t enough pucks to go around.

That said Krebs is not playing the same style of game right now, so who knows?

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

Even if this happens, the fact we only play 4 games in 20 days means it’s unlikely we will still be there in 3 weeks.

I feel good about our chances, but I doubt this will be as smooth as we want it to be.

Agree.  I don’t like the slow start we get after the All Star games. Too many days off.  More reason to get 2 points at home versus a Carolina team that should be tired.  I really want to beat that team in front of our fans.  It’s a big game.  

46 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Krebs with the Kids.  Carolina might like that.  Those are the three forwards DG has been most likely to shelter.  Cozens covers for the Kids and he plays shifts for both Krebs and Jost under normal circumstances.  

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

What a weird schedule.  NHL starts up play a week from today, but the Sabres don’t resume play until Saturday.  

I worry they go on a vacation and then take a few games to get going.  Maybe the rest helps?  We will find out.  

1 hour ago, Doohickie said:

No but they could send UPL down on paper.

You get any ice today?

You're going to send UPL down to Ra-cha-cha and run w/ 1 of the other 2 goalies against arguably the 2nd best team in the league to keep from playing your #13 forward & being able to instead play your #14?

In what alternative reality does that make any sense?

1 hour ago, Doohickie said:

What's that now?

On the MF'n PP.  

On the PP, how often do you see Ovie loop around the zone while waiting for the 1 timer feed?  Thompson, Eichel, Olofsson?  Not very often.

Even on the play where you show VO getting the 1 timer off the rush, how many strides did he take in his last 40' of movement?  (Hint, it rhymes w/ Miro.)

The concern w/ having VO & Tage on the same PP unit is you have 2 guys barely moving around waiting to get fed for a 1 timer.  It worked once when the other team likely wasn't expecting that configuration.  The next game, the unit didn't even get a single shot off.  Stuff like that, & putting a big D-man down low works occasionally when you can get a mismatch & is unexpected, but there's a reason the Bruins didn't set Chara up on front of the other team's goalie every game.  When you're ready for a gimmick, you can shut it down pretty easily.

4 hours ago, JohnC said:

Again, maybe it happens.  But really don't see Granato doing that.  Said what this kid's expectation is for Wednesday.

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

On the MF'n PP.  

On the PP, how often do you see Ovie loop around the zone while waiting for the 1 timer feed?  Thompson, Eichel, Olofsson?  Not very often.

Even on the play where you show VO getting the 1 timer off the rush, how many strides did he take in his last 40' of movement?  (Hint, it rhymes w/ Miro.)

The concern w/ having VO & Tage on the same PP unit is you have 2 guys barely moving around waiting to get fed for a 1 timer.  It worked once when the other team likely wasn't expecting that configuration.  The next game, the unit didn't even get a single shot off.  Stuff like that, & putting a big D-man down low works occasionally when you can get a mismatch & is unexpected, but there's a reason the Bruins didn't set Chara up on front of the other team's goalie every game.  When you're ready for a gimmick, you can shut it down pretty easily.

Cozens can’t shoot the puck as well as VO, but he can shoot it pretty good.

He can also pass the puck better, retrieve it better, enter the zone better and win faceoffs.

I wish they could take better advantage of Tuch and Skinner down low. We don’t score many back door tap-ins like Vic got last game, and we rarely bury anything from the bumper slot like how Bergeron seems to score every game against us.

• Like (+1) 1

they don't tell you much truth these days but I'd guess Thompson has bruised ribs from a hit he took, Cozens got his bell rung and has a mild concussion, and Samuelsson either has a bruise from a blocked shot or s muscle pull. Nothing serious for any of them. But it's a guess. 

1 minute ago, dudacek said:

Cozens can’t shoot the puck as well as VO, but he can shoot it pretty good.

Maybe not as hard, but he's developed great vision and accuracy this year. Picking the open holes frequently. He's got more of that in tight skill than VO. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.