GDT- Sabres @ Wild, January 28th,2023 @9:00 PM (Est) ESPN+/HULU

Wyldnwoody44

5 minutes ago, Spoonman said:

GAA doesn’t matter. Especially with highest scoring team in NHL. We are not 31st in scoring anymore, Dorthy. 😉click judy garland GIF

I’d say GAA of your goalies matters. Not going to score four or five goals every game and those lower scoring games have as much impact as any other.

Edited by SABRES 0311

11 minutes ago, SABRES 0311 said:

ESPN has him 39th in the league with a 3.29. His actual GAA is 3.35. I don’t know what the minimum games played is but I’d guess he’s middle to slightly below middle of the pack.

What's his high chance save %, that's probably a better indicator.  Sabres are fun to watch, but they're also fun to play against as there not exactly the most defensive aware team

5 minutes ago, ... said:

Okay, yes, Mitt's board work has definitely improved this season.

His stance is finally wider and he isn't getting knocked down as much.

I also think his line mates are finally ready for the pass off the boards that he has been missing on, because they didn't realize he could get it to them. They are starting to realize it's coming.

Just now, CTJoe said:

What's his high chance save %, that's probably a better indicator.  Sabres are fun to watch, but they're also fun to play against as there not exactly the most defensive aware team

His regular SV% ranking is also in the 30s. Sub .900SV%. No doubt part of this can be tied to defense injuries or inexperience.

4 minutes ago, SABRES 0311 said:

I’d say GAA of your goalies matters. Not going to score four or five goals every game and those lower scoring games have as much impact as any other.

to a certain extent but I think there are better measures.  I think Marty Brodeur is one of the most overrated goalies ever for instance.  Great GAA, Great Save %, a ton of shutouts, also played in a defensive system that was historic for allowing so few scoring chances

Just now, CTJoe said:

to a certain extent but I think there are better measures.  I think Marty Brodeur is one of the most overrated goalies ever for instance.  Great GAA, Great Save %, a ton of shutouts, also played in a defensive system that was historic for allowing so few scoring chances

No matter what the team defense capabilities impact SV% but I side with SV% is mostly on the goalie.

1 minute ago, SABRES 0311 said:

His regular SV% ranking is also in the 30s. Sub .900SV%. No doubt part of this can be tied to defense injuries or inexperience.

d0onpt care about save %, care about high scoring chance save %.  If he's facing twice as many high scoring chances a game than some goalies that's telling.  For instance, Comrie's game was relatively stress free the other night, until the last 5 minutes, because Buffalo had 80% of the game's high scoring chances in the first 55 minutes.  Peg had some in the last 5, changing it to 67% Buf/33% Peg

2 minutes ago, RochesterExpat said:

I'm optimistic on this one. I think if they clean up the penalties they can blow this game wide open.

Hope you're right but I think prob not against Fleury.  Despite scoring 6 vs him last game, he typically makes it hard to score.   

1 minute ago, SABRES 0311 said:

I’d say GAA of your goalies matters. Not going to score four or five goals every game and those games have as much impact as any other.

7 minutes ago, CTJoe said:

As Food Halloween GIF by Justin Gammon says, they play to outscore their mistakes. 

4 minutes ago, CTJoe said:

d0onpt care about save %, care about high scoring chance save %.  If he's facing twice as many high scoring chances a game than some goalies that's telling.  For instance, Comrie's game was relatively stress free the other night, until the last 5 minutes, because Buffalo had 80% of the game's high scoring chances in the first 55 minutes.  Peg had some in the last 5, changing it to 67% Buf/33% Peg

Hope you're right but I think prob not against Fleury.  Despite scoring 6 vs him last game, he typically makes it hard to score.   

Agree on high scoring chances @CTJoe.

7 minutes ago, CTJoe said:

If we can score enough against Hellebuyck we can against Fleury.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.