GDT- Sabres @ Wild, January 28th,2023 @9:00 PM (Est) ESPN+/HULU

Wyldnwoody44

20 hours ago, Eleven said:

According to various posts in several threads on this forum, he did not suffer a brain injury.

If he did, my opinion is different.  But the information I've received--again, from threads on this forum--is that he did not, and would have returned to the Jets game had time allowed.

Semantics?

Something happened to his brain for sure.

If it happened to you on the street, you wouldn't go right back to your office. Right away or the next day IMHO. You'd be in the ER.

Central Road Trip (opposition standings within their division) + the 1st half finale:
1st place DAL: W
6th place STL: W
2nd place WPG: W
3rd place MIN: OTL
1st place CAR:

Tonight is a good start. This is a very good start. I see you Wedge, good work. Someone must have told them about my little maneuver at the Battle of Taanab.

Not a fan atoll of the SO.

The OT is okay to see if a team gets the extra point if the NHL must.

I am in favour of the old system where if a game ends in a tie so be it.  Both teams get a point and call it a day.

The Wild are a good team (I loved their uniform colours last night) and so are the Sabres.  A tie between them is a fair result.

• Disagree 1

42 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Semantics?

Something happened to his brain for sure.

If it happened to you on the street, you wouldn't go right back to your office. Right away or the next day IMHO. You'd be in the ER.

This is the information I based my opinion on.

That was UPL’s 3rd shootout. He saved 4 of 6 in his other 2, a win over Minnesota and a loss to the Capitals last year.

I’ve seen Quinn take a lot of shootouts outside regular season NHL games. I have no doubt he earned that slot in practice. He’s scored some of the nicest shootout goals I’ve seen.

I think the wily vet threw him off a bit with the fake poke check, just like he intended. Quinn usually dekes.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

I gotta say despite not liking OT or the SO and would rather just have a tie... That goal by TT was a Whoah! moment. The turning on of the jets and then the laser shot... whoah! Double whoah!

Whoa. Whoah. Woah.

I hate our language sometimes.

Looks like our language fills you with woe.

• Haha (+1) 2

12 hours ago, Thorny said:

To me 3 on 3 ot, especially now that coaches have got their hands on it, resembles the regular NHL game just as little as the shootout, anyways.

Maybe im old fashioned but I don’t mind a tie. Why do I NEED a winner in a regular season game? A tie is also a result. I feel like OT and shootout wins feel cheaper anyways. I know that’s reflected in tie breakers but that’s only a factor if you tie a team. 

Playoff OT remains awesome 

Caveat: am perfectly fine w/ ties & hate deciding games in a shootout, so am not an advocate for 3v3.  But, since 3v3 for the RS is here to stay, there is one tweak they could make to improve it.

Take a modified page out of the NLL. if the puck is brought over the opposing team's blue line, if it goes back onto your side of the redline, the other team takes possession.  Don't want to discourage shooting, so if the puck goes off the goalie, the net, or the end boards directly prior to going back over the redline, there is no turnover.  Yes, some tired players may try to wrap the puck all the way back to their goalie off the end boards; if they're concerned about that happening, just put in a rule that the goalie can't be the 1st player from the shooting team to touch a puck that comes out of the offensive zone in that manner.

This rule change would do away w/ the current skating the puck all the way back into your own defensive zone to get a player change & maintain puck possession.  The point of 3v3 is it was supposed to result in end to end action.  This tweak would restore it.

And again, a better tweak would be doing away w/ 3v3 OT altogether.  But that ain't happenin'.

Edited by Taro T
  • Like (+1) 1

The Sabre play of the game for me was the Krebs to Okposo to Girgs' score. This play reflects how Krebs has played since he centered for Okposo and Girgs. Krebs threw the puck in, he battled for the puck on the back wall, and then while battling for the puck got it to Okposo who was on the right side of the net. He then quickly made a pass to Girgs who was standing alone on the doorstep of the net for the goal. The catalyst of the play was Krebs. This play embodied how he has played a tougher and grittier since joining this elder line. 

I'm sure many will say that the Quinn goal was the most special play. There is no question that it was an exceptional play by a young player who showed determination in retrieving the puck, and then skating to get free, and concluding the play with a laser shot. I'm not going to quarrel with anyone who prefers making this play the play of the game. 

What each of these plays manifests is that this team has young players who are getting better and better while in the also contributing to the success of this team.  

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, matter2003 said:

They aren't playing 10 minutes of OT...there are flights, player safety/tiredness/health concerns from the NHLPA on these during regular season games, etc. It's a no go for lengthening the OT...NHLPA will never agree to it.

A few bigger name players have already begun advocating for 10 min OT.  So... never say never.

• Thanks (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Mango said:

I get it, we all want a goalie who can carry the team if need be. But this game is just terrible one rip on UPL. The guy played lights out. 

Want? We need a goalie that can carry the team if need be, if we're going to make deep runs into the playoffs.  Also I've been saying this for a while. This isn't my first shot at our goalies.  I also gave UPL an out in that I know he's young and  he may very well become the goalie we need , but he is definitely not there yet. Because the fact remains UPL has a GA average of 3.26. UPL has made some great saves but at the end of the game they still scored 3 goals against us. The only reason we are sniffing the playoffs is because our offensive players have developed quicker than expected. If we didn't have one of the highest scoring offense in the NHL we would not even be close to a playoff spot. I've said this before as well that if you have to score 4 goals per game you're not going to win a lot of games. Thankfully our offense is able to overcome this quite often. I will not say our goaltending is doing well, when in fact it is not.

Edited by sabresouth

1 hour ago, sabresouth said:

Want? We need a goalie that can carry the team if need be, if we're going to make deep runs into the playoffs.  Also I've been saying this for a while. This isn't my first shot at our goalies.  I also gave UPL an out in that I know he's young and  he may very well become the goalie we need , but he is definitely not there yet. Because the fact remains UPL has a GA average of 3.26. UPL has made some great saves but at the end of the game they still scored 3 goals against us. The only reason we are sniffing the playoffs is because our offensive players have developed quicker than expected. If we didn't have one of the highest scoring offense in the NHL we would not even be close to a playoff spot. I've said this before as well that if you have to score 4 goals per game you're not going to win a lot of games. Thankfully our offense is able to overcome this quite often. I will not say our goaltending is doing well, when in fact it is not.

At the end of the game they scored two. After a decade+ of crap I’m fired up for a fast exciting team with a huge young goalie that’s made all kinds of strides and grabbed the number one spot. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

5 hours ago, French Collection said:

I like the way they tried to win that game all the way to the end. They were gassed but pushed through it at the end of the third and in OT.

UPL was upset letting in 3 shootouts but one was lucky.

Quinn was a good choice, he should have deked, he has wicked moves.

Didn't Quinn win the only other shootout we had with some sick moves?

53 minutes ago, bg17 said:

At the end of the game they scored two. After a decade+ of crap I’m fired up for a fast exciting team with a huge young goalie that’s made all kinds of strides and grabbed the number one spot. 

UPL also has a knack for making big saves in key moments when you need them. That was one of Ryan Miller's biggest positives.

• Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Jack Quinn heating up for the final 1/3 of the season would be me magic 

Jack Quinn and Peterka heating up for the final 1/3 of the season would be exciting. It's not a question of will they, as it is when? How soon? I'm not sure. Just steadily getting better and acclimating themselves to the highest level of hockey is what you want to see. With Quinn more than JJ, you can see sequences of exceptional play where you know he is going to be better than good. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/28/2023 at 5:53 PM, Thorny said:

Where’s @Curtat? Haven’t seen him post in a bit 

On 1/28/2023 at 6:04 PM, Doohickie said:

He put you on Double Reverse Ignore.

Seriously, hope he's okay.

Thanks for the concern gentlemen.

All is well.  I just took a little break.  Hope you’ve been well in my absence.

@Doohickie, PM me about that double reverse ignore feature!

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.