GDT- Sabres @ Wild, January 28th,2023 @9:00 PM (Est) ESPN+/HULU

Wyldnwoody44

Meh, shootout was blah. 

I hate deciding hockey games by shootout as much as I hate the penalty kicks in soccer. But at least the NHL scraps it in the postseason. 

I don't know why we can't do a 10min 5 on 5 and next goal wins or it's a tie. 

I didn't catch all of the game so I can't comment as much, I found some awesome soup dumplings after the smoked meat so tonight was a festival of eating then soaking in the hotel hot tub. 

On the the next one, back to the East, time to smoke some fresh baby and pillage all of Raleigh. 

• Agree 2

8 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

Meh, shootout was blah. 

I hate deciding hockey games by shootout as much as I hate the penalty kicks in soccer. But at least the NHL scraps it in the postseason. 

I didn't catch all of the game so I can't comment as much, I found some awesome soup dumplings after the smoked meat so tonight was a festival of eating then soaking in the hotel hot tub. 

On the the next one, back to the East, time to smoke some fresh baby and pillage all of Raleigh. 

Game's in Buffalo.

We only eat Carolina babies.  The winter windburn makes the homegrown ones have a weird texture.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

don't know why we can't do a 10min 5 on 5 and next goal wins or it's a tie. 

Just do 60 and it's a tie like we used to see and I'm fine.

A 3-1-0 point system like soccer fixes all of it during the regular season, frankly.

• Agree 2

18 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

Meh, shootout was blah. 

Because they have to be cognizant of away teams leaving by a certain time for travel.

I would prefer a 45 second 3 on 2 in the offensive zone that alternates until someone wins, like college football. Clearing the puck out of the zone ends the possession. Offensive team gets the puck at the red line to start and defenders have to stay within their own zone.

• Disagree 2

1 hour ago, Stads said:

3-0-1 on that roadtrip is pretty damn impressive 

It is.

They finished the 12 game in 20 day marathon at 6-5-1.

That said they won only 2 home games over that stretch...  losing 3 in a row to PHI, SEA and WPG. 

If you're serious about about making a playoff push.... Do better. 

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

It is.

That said they won only 2 home games over that stretch...  losing 3 in a row to PHI, SEA and WPG. 

Glass half full man, after those 3 losses they chained 5 wins in a row and an OTL.

To me 3 on 3 ot, especially now that coaches have got their hands on it, resembles the regular NHL game just as little as the shootout, anyways.

Maybe im old fashioned but I don’t mind a tie. Why do I NEED a winner in a regular season game? A tie is also a result. I feel like OT and shootout wins feel cheaper anyways. I know that’s reflected in tie breakers but that’s only a factor if you tie a team. 

Playoff OT remains awesome 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

To get a point with the tage line not scoring and giving up a 5on5 goal + asshat refs calling the game as they did...got to be happy with the point.  I mean, are these referees actually supervised/graded?  How can they possibly not be demoted to the AHL after turning in constant homer performances like this.  There's no integrity in this game all too often.

19 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

It is.

They made up a lot of ground. I think they went from 8 out to now only 1 out in that stretch, and they have games in hand. 

13 minutes ago, Thorny said:

To me 3 on 3 ot, especially now that coaches have got their hands on it, resembles the regular NHL game just as little as the shootout, anyways.

Maybe im old fashioned but I don’t mind a tie. Why do I NEED a winner in a regular season game? A tie is also a result. I feel like OT and shootout wins feel cheaper anyways. I know that’s reflected in tie breakers but that’s only a factor if you tie a team. 

Because a game ending in a tie is boring, that’s why. 

Why waste 3 hours invested in an entertainment event, and not get that high of a win or that low of a loss? If a tie ending is okay, then there was no point of watching at all. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Andrew Amerk said:

Because a game ending in a tie is boring, that’s why. 

Why waste 3 hours invested in an entertainment event, and not get that high of a win or that low of a loss? If a tie ending is okay, then there was no point of watching at all. 

I have no problem with a tie.

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Totally agree. I do find 3 on 3 OT really exciting, though. It’s a high speed chess match and the Sabres have been really good at it.

I just like hockey. Others like winning and losing, go gamble, then. If, like tonight, two teams played great and each deserved a point, whatever. As long as we are entertained.

• Like (+1) 3

20 minutes ago, SwampD said:

Totally agree. I do find 3 on 3 OT really exciting, though. It’s a high speed chess match and the Sabres have been really good at it.

I just like hockey. Others like winning and losing, go gamble, then. If, like tonight, two teams played great and each deserved a point, whatever. As long as we are entertained.

Yep. 

15 minutes ago, Andrew Amerk said:

I do. 

It’s like watching a movie for 3 hours that has no ending. 

I guess it doesn’t bug me because winning in the regular season doesn’t really mean anything in and of itself other than relative to the points it gets you in the standings: it’s one of 82 where total points are the end goal and what determines the winners, or rather who plays on. A tie is a result that gains 1 point in the standings. In the playoffs, obviously only the winner of the head to head matchup matters obviously so you need a winner. Just how I see it, guess it doesn’t bug me. If it’s a good game it’s a good game.

Empire Strikes Back kinda ends in a tie 

Granted it’s only 2 hours 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.