GDT- Sabres @ Wild, January 28th,2023 @9:00 PM (Est) ESPN+/HULU

Wyldnwoody44

10 minutes ago, K-9 said:

I wish Donnie hadn't gotten my hope up the other night when he said Dylan was good to go and could have returned to the game had there been more time left in it. 

Probably a lot of soreness the day after.  

This probably relegates 22 and 77 to about 10 minutes of ice.  I was hoping they could get on the scoresheet before this trip ends.    Asplund could get more ice time due to his PK ability.  

The Wild are very physical, 24 is a guy we need. 

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, K-9 said:

I think not practicing during this compressed schedule, while great for the everyday players, wouldn’t serve guys like Asplund very well. What does he do to simulate game conditions if not practice? 

NHL 23 but he has to be on skates when he plays it.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, French Collection said:

Maybe Krebs is ready to reunite the kid line from Rochester. They probably get the least amount of minutes but a new look could spark Quinn and JJP.

Asplund is with them morning practice skate, but I could see Krebs joining them if we were to get down a couple goals early, then reserve the veterans as a checking line against their top guys. It'll be fun to see how this team adapts to no Cozens.

Edited by DarthEbriate
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Eleven said:

NHL 23 but he has to be on skates when he plays it.

Stop adjusting the goalie reactions, AI adoption, and injury settings! A 34-0 beatdown where only 8 opposing skaters finish the game because you're hitting them with your checking values turned up to maximum isn't any fun.

Edited by DarthEbriate

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

I know this is kinda generally accepted as the way, but it certainly isn’t the case with Donnie.

He talks all the time about defence being the easy part to learn: pick a structure, stay disciplined and work hard within it.

He is so focused on finding ways to break down structure, his practices are designed to have the team making plays at a high tempo so those plays come more naturally in games, he pushes his players to be creative, to try things, to be fearless.

And you can see it: our players are constantly moving to open up spaces, then dropping pucks into those spaces, confident a teammate is darting hard into those holes. The puck carrier always has multiple options in the attacking zone. He runs into traffic, he has 2 guys nearby ready to bail him out. The team is always coming in layers. That is how they are being coached to play.

Victor Olofsson has hit a career high in goals a little over halfway through the season.

Tage Thompson and Jeff Skinner are well on their way to career years. Tyson Jost might get there too.

Cozens, Mittelstadt, Tuch and Dahlin have already topped their career-best totals. It’s January!

That is all happening because of the way this team is being coached.

Furthermore, you see players like Olofsson, Mittelstadt, being active with their sticks.  The defensive game of the forwards has improved.  The aggressiveness on the puck is a defensive metric in it's own right.  If you possess and truly attack the zone, you eat up the clock and defend your net in that presence.  You're so right dudacek!  I'd love to upgrade over Bryson.  Bring in someone who can skate, but has the physicality to pair with Lyuba to give us that bite that we need. 

13 minutes ago, Rasmus_ said:

Furthermore, you see players like Olofsson, Mittelstadt, being active with their sticks.  The defensive game of the forwards has improved.  The aggressiveness on the puck is a defensive metric in it's own right.  If you possess and truly attack the zone, you eat up the clock and defend your net in that presence.  You're so right dudacek!  I'd love to upgrade over Bryson.  Bring in someone who can skate, but has the physicality to pair with Lyuba to give us that bite that we need. 

Agree...the defensive side has been much much better. The game against Winnipeg was just crazy...Jets couldn't even get into the zone without being swarmed. They are starting to learn to use their speed to play defense to then help transition into offense.

Edited by matter2003

2 hours ago, Eleven said:

I've got one in San Juan next week for less than the cost of an unfurnished apartment in Buffalo.  Given Buffalo in February, this is a no-brainer.

I recommend a morning or afternoon strolling around old San Juan, including lunch or brunch.  It's really nice and the closest thing to an old European city in the Caribbean IMHO, if you enjoy that sort of thing.

56 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

Maybe it is a concussion after all 

Sure seems that way -- but maybe not if he warmed up today?

3 hours ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

I'm gonna hit the main street deli across from Schwartz this time and compare the 2. Supposed to be the best in the city.

Much like wings in Buffalo where Anchor Bar is the most famous but not necessarily the best, there are other great places for smoked meat. Dunn's on Metcalf is another one. (But Schwartz's is still terrific.)

• Thanks (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Probably a lot of soreness the day after.  

This probably relegates 22 and 77 to about 10 minutes of ice.  I was hoping they could get on the scoresheet before this trip ends.    Asplund could get more ice time due to his PK ability.  

The Wild are very physical, 24 is a guy we need. 

This isn't directed at you specifically but this comment gets made about every f-ing team we play all the time. 

7 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

This isn't directed at you specifically but this comment gets made about every f-ing team we play all the time. 

I say it today because we recently played them, and familiarity breeds contempt - and they have the Avs climbing on their backs, and their last game with Philly had  4 fights.   So I think they might try to intimidate, and then again maybe not.  

18 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

I recommend a morning or afternoon strolling around old San Juan, including lunch or brunch.  It's really nice and the closest thing to an old European city in the Caribbean IMHO, if you enjoy that sort of thing.

I've been a few times.  I don't love OSJ.  Too many tourist traps and scammers.  

21 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Not for his well being?

Are we over Damar already?

Of course he suffered a brain injury. Of course in a civilized world he'd get ample time to recover.

According to various posts in several threads on this forum, he did not suffer a brain injury.

If he did, my opinion is different.  But the information I've received--again, from threads on this forum--is that he did not, and would have returned to the Jets game had time allowed.

Edited by Eleven
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

To be fair, I just Googled this when I created the title and that's what it said, I was sort of hoping for espn because then I could maybe stream it easier. 

No problem and great game threat start! 

It takes years and a lot of practice to get the GDT perfect the first time, lol 

• Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.