Sabres fandom, geographical boundaries.

French Collection

Question for Western New Yorkers.

Where are the boundaries where you would expect a majority of hockey fans to follow the Sabres?

I just got back from Massachusetts and I travelled through Watertown to Syracuse and then east on I90 to Massachusetts.

I wondered if Syracuse was the cut off or would it be Utica, Albany? I know once I entered Mass. it felt like Bruins country. Albany is probably a majority of Rangers fans.

I would just like to know how big of a footprint the Sabres have in the State and bordering States too.

Fandom for Buffalo sports teams knows no boundaries!  There are Bills and Sabres fans all over the country and the world!  But, more to the point of the post, I would agree that Syracuse is probably the boundary.  West of Syracuse is mostly Buffalo fans, Syracuse is split, and east of Syracuse is other teams - Rangers, perhaps Bruins (certainly when you get into Mass) and north of Syracuse could be Montreal fans.  (Of course, the Sabres' own Alex Tuch is from Syracuse and grew up a big Sabres fan).  Same goes for football.  West of Syracuse would be Bills fans, Syracuse is split, and east of Syracuse is a combination of Jets, Giants, etc.

In other directions, I don't know.  Is Erie, PA Sabres fans or Pens fans?  And for Southern Ontario, are there Sabres fans there, or just NHL fans who come to Buffalo because its affordable NHL hockey (versus Toronto) where they can support their favorite teams and players?

Edited by msw2112
  • Like (+1) 1

I would say Erie, PA and that thingie that sticks up there to the lake is firmly Sabre country.

Extreme southern Ontario / Niagra pretty much do everything possible to distance themselves as far as possible in every way from The Great Satan.

I would agree with Weave about Rochester being the line in NYS.  Probably top to bottom.  With pockets to Syracuse.  Beyond that a few.

There are pockets of resistance everywhere still to this day.  Including, but not limited to Northern Ontario, Winterpeg, the far reaches of BC, at least 2 in New Scotland, 1 in Old Scotland, at least 1 in Western Europe, and some all over the vast USA ... 

Edited by Sabres Fan in NS

41 minutes ago, French Collection said:

Question for Western New Yorkers.

Where are the boundaries where you would expect a majority of hockey fans to follow the Sabres?

I just got back from Massachusetts and I travelled through Watertown to Syracuse and then east on I90 to Massachusetts.

I wondered if Syracuse was the cut off or would it be Utica, Albany? I know once I entered Mass. it felt like Bruins country. Albany is probably a majority of Rangers fans.

I would just like to know how big of a footprint the Sabres have in the State and bordering States too.

Syracuse is probably the eastern boarder.  In football, Syracuse is relatively new to even supporting the Bills but there are some Sabres fans there. 

Any New England state, including North Eastern NY is Bruins/Pats* country or NYC teams.  Southeastern NY favors the NYC teams.  I worked with a company in Binghampton for decades - Jets, Giants, Rangers all the way.  

The northern border does not extend very far - there are Sabres fans parts on Southern Ontario near the US boarder, but not to the west if you get anywhere close to Detroit.  There will always be more Leaves fans just about anywhere in Ontario.  

Western Pennsylvania is Pittsburgh country, so Erie is the western boarder and the state line the Southern boarder.  If anyone in western Ohio cares about hockey they probably like Pittsburgh or Columbus.  

Pretty small physical area.  Not a big market overall.  

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 1

Heading east would say it swaps to majority Rags somewhere around Seneca Falls/ Auburn.

There's some Sabre fans in Syracuse (Alex Tuch being the most famous example) but would expect it more downstate in their favorite hockey team by the time you get there. 

Get a fair # of Pens fans in the southern Finger Lakes region.

Some old school Habs fans still down in Ithaca and a fair # of Bruins fans in Ra-cha-cha from the pre-79 ties but Ra-cha-cha is firmly Sabres territory.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Wouldn't say that nearly all of NYS is Sabres territory.

It's a heck of a lot easier & cheaper for a Rags fan in Syracuse, as an example, to buy a ticket in Buffalo to watch their beloved Rags play rather than getting into MSG.

Believe the data is accurate.  But don't believe it says what they are trying to say it says.

5 minutes ago, Taro T said:

It's a heck of a lot easier & cheaper for a Rags fan in Syracuse, as an example, to buy a ticket in Buffalo to watch their beloved Rags play rather than getting into MSG.

Believe the data is accurate.  But don't believe it says what they are trying to say it says.

I think the Sabres counties are a slightly dark blue on the map.  The top of PA being Sabres country is interesting.

13 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I think the Sabres counties are a slightly dark blue on the map.  The top of PA being Sabres country is interesting.

Yes, they are.  But the site is tracking where people go to see games live.  For many counties, the data is more representative of where the residents find it most economical to watch their favorite team, whether it be the home team or the visitor.

They are representing that the data tells which team people of various counties are fans of.  Pretty sure that is NOT what they are actually measuring.

Edited by Taro T

23 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Yes, they are.  But the site is tracking where people go to see games live.  For many counties, the data is more representative of where the residents find it most economical to watch their favorite team, whether it be the home team or the visitor.

They are representing that the data tells which team people of various counties are fans of.  Pretty sure that is NOT what they are actually measuring.

I guess it depends if they collect favorite team data for marketing purposes.  I know a couple of re-selling sites ask.  I’ve never used vivid seats so I don’t know.

Just now, GASabresIUFAN said:

I guess it depends if they collect favorite team data for marketing purposes.  I know a couple of re-selling sites ask.  I’ve never used vivid seats so I don’t know.

Did you read your own link?

* Based on Vivid Seats sales data.

Emphasis mine.

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Is Erie a Buffalo or Pittsburgh market, or split? 

Erie County, NY is definately all Sabres.  Big time !!

Erie, PA not so much ...

2 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Did you read your own link?

* Based on Vivid Seats sales data.

Emphasis mine.

It's been a long day, Taro.

At the end of a long week.  Leading into another long day tomorrow and another after that.  Followed by yet another long week.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

I mean Tuch grew up as a Sabres fan and he is from Syracuse

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.