Samuelson and Cozens Injury Update

Brawndo

19 minutes ago, shrader said:

I thought butt end too, but I don't know how two refs can watch a bunch of replays of a butt end and then call it roughing.

Right. Seemed intentional and dirty to me and worthy of 5 and a game and a call from the league. Instead he serves 2 comes out and scores a goal.  NHL on brand.

Anyways, awesome W.  Dominant.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

17 minutes ago, Getpucksdeep said:

Right. Seemed intentional and dirty to me and worthy of 5 and a game and a call from the league. Instead he serves 2 comes out and scores a goal.  NHL on brand.

I saw the play and it looked like unintentional, incidental contact to me.  Regardless of our different interpretations, Cozens definitely came out of it woozy and off-balance and it behooves the team to evalute for a concussion, whether he ultimately sustained one or not.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

27 minutes ago, Getpucksdeep said:

Welcome back!

• Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, Getpucksdeep said:

It's the worst kind of intentional too -- guy was savvy enough to disguise it as unintentional. He knew what he was doing. He wasn't sure he'd find Cozens' face, but he was reaching for it with his fist closed around his stick's butt end.

• Agree 3

1 hour ago, Eleven said:

Can't a concussion result even without a blow to the head?  Like a sudden stop in a car or a heavy hit to the body that forces the brain to move around in its brain compartment?

Yes, deceleration injuries are a very big risk factor for concussions. In layman's terms, the brain has a little space to move around in the skull (surrounded by sheaths called dura) when you are stuck or decelerate rapidly in any area of the head or neck, the brain can shift and slam against those inner shells causing inflammation/bruising which is what a concussion is. Typically concussions don't show up on initial CT scans, those are reserved for intercranial bleeds and skull fractures, etc. That's why clinically concussions can be a bit difficult to identify right away. 

• Thanks (+1) 3

1 hour ago, shrader said:

I thought butt end too, but I don't know how two refs can watch a bunch of replays of a butt end and then call it roughing.

I think when Ottawas coach was hollering up a storm to the ref thats what the official told him immediately before he shut up. Look we could have gone with the harsher call, shut yer pie hole.

47 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

Yes, deceleration injuries are a very big risk factor for concussions. In layman's terms, the brain has a little space to move around in the skull (surrounded by sheaths called dura) when you are stuck or decelerate rapidly in any area of the head or neck, the brain can shift and slam against those inner shells causing inflammation/bruising which is what a concussion is. Typically concussions don't show up on initial CT scans, those are reserved for intercranial bleeds and skull fractures, etc. That's why clinically concussions can be a bit difficult to identify right away. 

Yeah, I've had a few myself...and not all were caused by head contact.  Thanks for confirming.

So, do we all think that cozens and Samuelsson should sit out Wednesday’s game against Carolina, which would give them something like a solid 2 1/2 weeks of rest before their next game, which is two weeks from yesterday?

Does anyone think they should play? Interested to hear your rationale if so. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.