Samuelson and Cozens Injury Update

Brawndo

• Brawndo changed the title to Samuelson and Cozens Injury Update
29 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

The Cozens incident looked more like a blow to the jaw. Those can knock you out for sure, as boxers well know. I’m not sure they’re concussive though.

Hopefully he was wearing a mouth guard, with is actually a teeth guard.  It prevents upper and bottom teeth from slamming together, usually from contact to head/jaw.  Yes, blows to the jaw can be concussive. 

Hold both of them out until after the break. Looked like a mild concussion for Cozens. A bit concerning given that it didn't look like that big of a shot -- has Cozens suffered any concussions previously? I think you may be more susceptible to if you've had them previously.  

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

The Cozens incident looked more like a blow to the jaw. Those can knock you out for sure, as boxers well know. I’m not sure they’re concussive though.

They knock you out.  They're concussive.

1 hour ago, Weave said:

Missed the game.  Is there video of what happened?

Expect there is.  MSG replayed the hit a few times after coming back from commercial.

2 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

I hate myself for being this pedantic, but concussions can happen from any blow to the head--regardless of how minor, seemingly innocuous, or the angle.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 minute ago, RochesterExpat said:

I hate myself for being this pedantic, but concussions can happen from any blow to the head--regardless of how minor, seemingly innocuous, or the angle.

Can't a concussion result even without a blow to the head?  Like a sudden stop in a car or a heavy hit to the body that forces the brain to move around in its brain compartment?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Doesn't even need to be a direct blow to the head. Whiplash and getting your noodle jostled can result in a concussion, too.

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Taro T said:

They knock you out.  They're concussive.

7 minutes ago, RochesterExpat said:

That's not pedantic at all. I appreciate the feedback from everyone. I've been with two people who got KTFO by a punch or blow to the jaw area. Both made immediate recoveries and showed no concussion symptoms after the fact. Of course, that was the late 80s and early 90s. But isn't there some sort of sinus/artery sudden impact issue where you can get KO'd (or made woozy) without there being a concussion type impact to the brain? 

5 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Can't a concussion result even without a blow to the head?  Like a sudden stop in a car or a heavy hit to the body that forces the brain to move around in its brain compartment?

Absolutely. It's happened in hockey as well, I believe.

31 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

That's not pedantic at all. I appreciate the feedback from everyone. I've been with two people who got KTFO by a punch or blow to the jaw area. Both made immediate recoveries and showed no concussion symptoms after the fact. Of course, that was the late 80s and early 90s. But isn't there some sort of sinus/artery sudden impact issue where you can get KO'd (or made woozy) without there being a concussion type impact to the brain? 

Concussion symptoms and lingering effects vary by person, but the official USA Hockey guideline is that any time loss of consciousness occurs, a concussion has taken place. You can have a concussion and suffer very few symptoms. Similarly, you can have a "minor" concussion that results in long-term issues.

Concussion symptoms and lingering effects vary by person, but the official USA Hockey guideline is that any time loss of consciousness occurs, a concussion has taken place. You can have a concussion and suffer very few symptoms. Similarly, you can have a "minor" concussion that results in long-term issues.

I get that, for sure. I'm wonder if, medically/clinically, there's anything to the distinction I'm making about a jaw-related KO. There may not be.

3 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

I suffered a similar hit under different circumstances and although I didn't go to the hospital (decades ago you just shook it off) I'm pretty sure I was concussed.  I saw stars like in the cartoons and everything.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.