2023 trade speculation and rumors

Eleven

50 minutes ago, Contempt said:

Bertuzzi, like his father before him, is a douche canoe the size of the Titanic.

The hockey player was his uncle, but point taken.  

A strong room can overcome this type of stuff. If he becomes a problem, then put him in the press box and he can UFA his way elsewhere. 

I want talent for a playoff run.  Gimme the nasty for 30 games. 

8 minutes ago, Porous Five Hole said:

The hockey player was his uncle, but point taken.  

A strong room can overcome this type of stuff. If he becomes a problem, then put him in the press box and he can UFA his way elsewhere. 

I want talent for a playoff run.  Gimme the nasty for 30 games. 

Is he allowed into Canada yet?

12 hours ago, Porous Five Hole said:

He’s had two 20 goal seasons and one 30 goal season, so he can take Mitts spot for me. 

And he’s good insurance for a top six injury. 

Cant imagine it would be a popular locker room decision to replace Mitts with Bertuzzi

He has 5 points in 17 games... wtf are we even talking about Tyler Bertuzzi at all? 0.294ppg and trading Mitts to Detroit probably makes them better (weird to type that) and they are chasing us for the playoffs? Nah, I'm not interested even if Bertuzzi fights grizzly bears and once defeated the Yeti in an arm wrestling contest. 

Mitts has a .571ppg rate currently.

2 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

I don’t know if this has been posted. It was recorded a little while ago (Dreger says Sabres are 6 points out of a wildcard spot). No bombshells but a really good listen about Adam’s mindset and such.

Interpretation:

1. Any deadline acquisition needs to fit the age of the group and can’t take opportunities away from the kids developing.  A vet 3C rental isn’t in the cards. 
2. Levi is a superfreak. He’s hesitant to commit to any goalie that would get in his way, though they aren’t rushing him either. 
3. Portillo is gone

12 hours ago, Porous Five Hole said:

He’s had two 20 goal seasons and one 30 goal season, so he can take Mitts spot for me. 

And he’s good insurance for a top six injury. 

The guy is hurt, so the "insurance" aspect of this is actually quite questionable.  

Adams and DG would look at the team chemistry impact.  Adams would be sacrificing assets for rental - he has yet to do that.  

A healthy and talented winger, that has the physical presence of Bertuzzi, but is not a rental is actually not a bad idea for this team at some point down road. We have all heard that Adams has at least looked into Meier, who is younger, bigger, and a better player.  

I would not hold your breath for Bertuzzi.  

I don’t know if this has been posted. It was recorded a little while ago (Dreger says Sabres are 6 points out of a wildcard spot). No bombshells but a really good listen about Adam’s mindset and such.

Interpretation:

1. Any deadline acquisition needs to fit the age of the group and can’t take opportunities away from the kids developing.  A vet 3C rental isn’t in the cards. 
2. Levi is a superfreak. He’s hesitant to commit to any goalie that would get in his way, though they aren’t rushing him either. 
3. Portillo is gone

Its clear they value playing kids in the NHL over wins. Mid-season you could say it’s paid off based on the improvement by many players. At the end of the season if we’re 3 points short of the playoffs there’s going to be games you can point back to. Either way, that’s part of the plan. There’s no debate whether this is what they were doing - sacrificing this season for growth. 

Not a bad thing unless they can’t keep all these players they sacrificed standings for under contract. Maybe it’s their ace in the hole to keep contract dollars low?  This is why players hire agents tho. 

Interpretation:

3. Portillo is gone

Its clear they value playing kids in the NHL over wins. Mid-season you could say it’s paid off based on the improvement by many players. At the end of the season if we’re 3 points short of the playoffs there’s going to be games you can point back to. Either way, that’s part of the plan. There’s no debate whether this is what they were doing - sacrificing this season for growth. 

Not a bad thing unless they can’t keep all these players they sacrificed standings for under contract. Maybe it’s their ace in the hole to keep contract dollars low?  This is why players hire agents tho. 

8 minutes ago, triumph_communes said:

Interpretation:

3. Portillo is gone

Interpretation:

3. Portillo is gone

I am assuming the big deals are for Cozens, Power, and Dahlin while Quinn and Peterka get bridges.  If he can keep those costs down and settle the goalkeeping situation, then it will really set-up the Sabres to be a long-term powerhouse because they can roll in good players on decent contracts as reinforcements for years.

So I dont follow hockey as closely as football when it comes to all the players, and how teams are built, etc.

This is probably a dumb question akin to asking "Cant we just trade for a Franchise QB?", and I'm not looking for an established star, but are there ANY Goalies we could be looking at trading for? Even a prospect?

Anyone have any on your radar?

15 minutes ago, DrDahlinstein said:

So I dont follow hockey as closely as football when it comes to all the players, and how teams are built, etc.

This is probably a dumb question akin to asking "Cant we just trade for a Franchise QB?", and I'm not looking for an established star, but are there ANY Goalies we could be looking at trading for? Even a prospect?

Anyone have any on your radar?

Usually no. There’s teams who have overpaid goalies who have regressed on the market and there’s teams that have a couple of blue chips they hold onto dearly. Starting goalies is usually all handled in off season. Some back ups might make a move. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, triumph_communes said:

Usually no. There’s teams who have overpaid goalies who have regressed on the market and there’s teams that have a couple of blue chips they hold onto dearly. Starting goalies is usually all handled in off season. Some back ups might make a move. 

Yeah, that's what I figured. Dang.

Outside of Goalie, I dont know that I'd be looking to make any moves and risk ruining the momentum the youngsters are gaining.

12 minutes ago, DrDahlinstein said:

Yeah, that's what I figured. Dang.

Outside of Goalie, I dont know that I'd be looking to make any moves and risk ruining the momentum the youngsters are gaining.

Welcome back!

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

He has 5 points in 17 games... wtf are we even talking about Tyler Bertuzzi at all? 0.294ppg and trading Mitts to Detroit probably makes them better (weird to type that) and they are chasing us for the playoffs? Nah, I'm not interested even if Bertuzzi fights grizzly bears and once defeated the Yeti in an arm wrestling contest. 

Mitts has a .571ppg rate currently.

I wasn’t trying to trade Mitts. I was trying to acquire depth. And I mentioned something fair for a UFA at the deadline would be a second rounder (I believe we have three) and a B-level prospect. Detroit will be a seller at the deadline. 

I think it is unrealistic to assume we don’t have an injury to our top nine forwards the rest of the way. Also, Bertuzzi scored 30 last year and he plays with an edge. 

Edited by Porous Five Hole

2 hours ago, Porous Five Hole said:

I wasn’t trying to trade Mitts. I was trying to acquire depth. And I mentioned something fair for a UFA at the deadline would be a second rounder (I believe we have three) and a B-level prospect. Detroit will be a seller at the deadline. 

I think it is unrealistic to assume we don’t have an injury to our top nine forwards the rest of the way. Also, Bertuzzi scored 30 last year and he plays with an edge. 

Bertuzzi gets injured so I don't want to trade for someone who gets injured to replace injuries. Also Adams isn't gonna do this imo. He would block jjp or Quinn from ice time. 

• Agree 1

42 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

For the "trade for P Kane" crowd. We don't want him. 

I’ve only watched 2 Hawks games but he hasn’t looked good. I wonder if he was motivated to play and on a contender if he would improve.

Let’s facilitate a trade to someone else and get an asset. He could be a Sabre for an hour.

5 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

For the "trade for P Kane" crowd. We don't want him. 

Who is he playing with? That team is shockingly thin on the forward group.  He’s second on the team in points, but his scoring touch has definitely taken a hit. 

I’m not advocating specifically for Kane, but take him away from Domi/Dickinson and plop him with Cozens or Tage and I bet that looks a little different. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.